NRL players refuse to return to training on May 4 if pay agreement isn't reached

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Fair call. I couldn't help noticing among all the hoo-ha about Mitchell and Addo-Carr, the criticism was about 1) putting the game's restart at risk 2) thinking they were special when all the rest of us had to stay home, and 3) a lot of general criticism about player behaviour including bringing up the national anthem.
But very few comments about the fact their actions may directly lead to someone getting seriously ill or even dead.
You missed the one about how silly they were to put it in social media. That drive me nuts! Latrell and Addo Carr are members of the most vulnerable community in Australia, putting their elders at risk. Unbelievable and yet so much is ‘how silly were they to put it in social media’! Groan.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
You missed the one about how silly they were to put it in social media. That drive me nuts! Latrell and Addo Carr are members of the most vulnerable community in Australia, putting their elders at risk. Unbelievable and yet so much is ‘how silly were they to put it in social media’! Groan.
I was more worried that Trell has a genuine gun licence. :eek::eek:

EaglesDontTweet

Bencher
Premium Member
I don’t, TBH. I’m concerned about how complacent people are being already - the number of people just wandering through the shops (including parents who apparently think it’s ok to let their kids wear roller skates and blunder into people and shelves), some mouthing off about how this is all just a hoax - allowing sports to resume just reinforces that attitude. We’re not even into flu season yet, and that is frightening.

While we’ve got a good health system, and we’ve managed to buy some time and spread the cases out a bit to keep it manageable in that sense - we’re going to see a second wave of infections for sure, and how badly that goes is going to depend a fair bit on how complacent the general public are. Letting the NRL - or any other pro sport - restart the season just reinforces the complacency.
I see your point but I'm kind of hoping that giving people who have had so many of the basic pleasures of life put on hold will have something 'normal' return and to look forward to each week. It creates a good reason to be at home, and a momentary distraction from all the negativity and sadness that is pretty much unavoidable at the moment.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
To be fair... or the other side of the coin (I dunno)

The players said the nrl promised to have to them a whole raft of issues finalised:

• the biosecurity details,
  • all the new rules they had to live by;
  • also, a new pay deal.

Which the nrl have not been able to provide (again, as promised).

And most of the issues seemed to be with the warriors who the nrl are asking to come on over... stay in isolation for 2 weeks and er um er ah more details to follow.

I can understand them feeling a but nervous about boarding a plane in that instance.

I also feel that some journo has just gone straight to the old worst case scenario just for the headline, like they do when mentioning player strikes.

As Billy the kid once said to me:

There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip...

HoldenV8

Journey Man
For their sake I hope that the players are doing this because they know how difficult this is going to be for the Warriors and they basically want answers before they agree to do anything.

I hope that its not about the money because due to recent actions by a certain few, NRL players right now are very much on the nose with a lot of people (I can tell you that in the Aussie rules states, despite AFL players having their own troubles, the general consensus right now is that "at least they aren't idiots like NRL players"). Millions in this country have lost a lot more than the players due to this pandemic and for them to be holding out for more money when they are still getting paid a lot more than most right now would be seen as a big insult.

I do want the competition to re-start. Us Manly fans are missing seeing our team playing every week, like fans of other clubs would be missing their teams play. But like @yokahontas alluded to, I'm kinda dubious that because we've done well in containing the spread of the virus (compared to some other western countries), that we're going to be jumping the gun a bit about lifting restrictions, especially heading into the flu season ... something not helped by this weeks cold snap.

I hope the competition does get to re-start on 28 May. But I'm not holding my breath.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
The one good thing about this is DCE's name wasnt mentioned as one of the players who said it.

Can you imagine the field day Weirdler would have scribing yet another anti- DCE clickbait article in which he throws him to the wolves again?

You spoke too soon .... DCE is front and centre of the Telecraps article today, photo and reminder of his million plus a year contract ....

StuBoot

Bencher
Sam Burgess last night was asked for his opinion as he’s a recently retired player.
He said the players are on full pay until the end of May so they should get back into it on Monday and they’ve got 3-4 weeks to sort out the finer details. If nothing gets resolved in that time then by all means down tools and they’re no worse off, they’ve been able to train together etc.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Sam Burgess last night was asked for his opinion as he’s a recently retired player.
He said the players are on full pay until the end of May so they should get back into it on Monday and they’ve got 3-4 weeks to sort out the finer details. If nothing gets resolved in that time then by all means down tools and they’re no worse off, they’ve been able to train together etc.

Sam must have employed a script writer .... fat too much sense from him ..

Kenty ... All hail Kenty ... didn't miss them on page 9 of the telecrap today .... maybe that @globaleagle will take time out from pestering his long suffering missus and post it for us ...

manly al

First Grader
Understandable for the R L player's reps to be intent to look after the player"s interests in the general sense but not to attempt to present any unnecessary ultimatums in the process and of course in the current circumstances . V' Landys and his main officials have done exceptionally well to facilitate a responsible and viable resumption as soon as possible , trying to adhere to existing health requirements , securing unexpected and probably difficult to obtain longer term loans , worthwhile agreements with the respective television networks . The least player"s reps can do is continue to offer full co operation and refrain from demanding type and public claims when they are already being well remunerated and with a fair and realistic arrangement no doubt to be available in the remaining anticipated playing season . Maybe a bit overhyped but they [ and supporters and officials ] are all in this together and the players are no bigger then the game collectively .

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Sam must have employed a script writer .... fat too much sense from him ..

Kenty ... All hail Kenty ... didn't miss them on page 9 of the telecrap today .... maybe that @globaleagle will take time out from pestering his long suffering missus and post it for us ...

Nah

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Paul Kent, Comment, The Daily Telegraph
May 1, 2020 8:26am

After all the lobbying, all the negotiations and even all the apologies, the enemy came from within.
What a week it has been for the NRL players.
The country is going broke, millions are out of work.
And just when the NRL is finding a way to get them back to work they threaten to boycott if their share is not big enough.

Entitled does not even begin to cut it.

Particularly after the week they have just had — they nearly tear the competition down one day, and now plan to the next.

So far, the NRL players have not sacrificed one cent of their wages even though it is now May and they have played just two games of their contracted season.

They will be paid in full this month, like they were last month, even though they won’t play until the last weekend.

In recent weeks, ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has lobbied four governments in two countries, renegotiated a new broadcast deal to give the players enough games to generate considerable income, apologised for some truly dumb behaviour from players and, just as it all looks set to be kicked off after today’s National Cabinet meeting, the players undermine from within.

And the sadness of it all?
It is all being orchestrated by a player manager but the players and their association are too dumb to realise.
He timed it perfectly.

The RLPA fell into it because it has the intelligence of a bar stool.
It shows a shocking lack of character from the players that, at a critical time for the game’s future, at the most critical time the game needed to be united, the players undermine the very person who has done more than anyone to ensure they resume playing, and continue to be paid. And they do it, controlled like puppets with small brains, without even realising they are being manipulated.
It is so embarrassing.
It shows a distinct lack of respect for V’landys who has delivered for the players at every trip to the negotiating table.

Even when the administration, previously under the charge of Todd Greenberg, reneged on promises they had made to the players, V’landys apologised and ensured the mistake was set right by the end of the day.
Some NRL players showed this week they do not act as part of society.
But above society.
And now this, all of them united behind their union, a player manager pulling the strings.
They are losing fans by the day and soon they will not have any left.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Seeing we love the game but hate the players, just curious (as I've been avoiding news as best I can) ... have any of the players made an announcement about the 'threat', or any press release by the players union?
Or is this just from Neil breen (whoever he may be) or some other alleged senior rugby league journalist (lol) types?

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
For their sake I hope that the players are doing this because they know how difficult this is going to be for the Warriors and they basically want answers before they agree to do anything.

I hope that its not about the money because due to recent actions by a certain few, NRL players right now are very much on the nose with a lot of people (I can tell you that in the Aussie rules states, despite AFL players having their own troubles, the general consensus right now is that "at least they aren't idiots like NRL players"). Millions in this country have lost a lot more than the players due to this pandemic and for them to be holding out for more money when they are still getting paid a lot more than most right now would be seen as a big insult.

I do want the competition to re-start. Us Manly fans are missing seeing our team playing every week, like fans of other clubs would be missing their teams play. But like @yokahontas alluded to, I'm kinda dubious that because we've done well in containing the spread of the virus (compared to some other western countries), that we're going to be jumping the gun a bit about lifting restrictions, especially heading into the flu season ... something not helped by this weeks cold snap.

I hope the competition does get to re-start on 28 May. But I'm not holding my breath.

One of my neighbours turned 70 today , she couldn’t have a birthday party but 6 of us ( immediate neighbours ) sat at the corner , middle and opposite corner of her front lawn and sang her happy birthday.

We brought our own coffee’s around and stayed for a quick chat.

The other 6 people are died in the wool AFL fans and boy didn’t they give it to the NRL, the players and me for supporting a sport that had a bunch of drop kicks as their representatives.

It was in reality pretty harsh , and I came away feeling a bit peeved with them for being so outspoken BUT after sitting down for a while and thinking about it I realised the irreparable harm this could have done to the game of these non fans are thinking this way.

I truly think the NRL did the wrong thing by not penalising them much more harshly.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member

OH ... we will just not go back if we don't have clarity ... fukken clarity ... there is not one fukken person in the country that has fikken clarity about his income, life, social rules or furure you numbnuts ... we are all operating on faith and goodwill ....

Your fukken present status is that you (and thousands of support staff) are sitting at home with your income about to cease for at least the next 5 months if the comp doesn't restart ....

To even hint at refusing to go back ... for fukken clarity ... is nothing short of competition grade .. monumental spit the dummyery ,,,,

Clarity my fat old sagging (but well groomed) arsse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
OH ... we will just not go back if we don't have clarity ... fukken clarity ... there is not one fukken person in the country that has fikken clarity about his income, life, social rules or furure you numbnuts ... we are all operating on faith and goodwill ....

Your fukken present status is that you (and thousands of support staff) are sitting at home with your income about to cease for at least the next 5 months if the comp doesn't restart ....

To even hint at refusing to go back ... for fukken clarity ... is nothing short of competition grade .. monumental spit the dummyery ,,,,

Is "who the hell grooms yer butt?" the wrong thing to take outta that rant?

MuzztheEagle

Bencher

All of us may not have 100% clarity on a range of things, but it's not as though we are staring at a black box of what the coming months could entail.
If the questions, are things like; will I see my family, will I be forced to live in a concentration camp style accommodation, what is the risk to me and my family?
And if that's not a fair enough point , then I'd like to send you an employment contract @Woodsie (I need someone to groom something....but I'm not going to clarify what!!!)

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
All of us may not have 100% clarity on a range of things, but it's not as though we are staring at a black box of what the coming months could entail.
If the questions, are things like; will I see my family, will I be forced to live in a concentration camp style accommodation, what is the risk to me and my family?
And if that's not a fair enough point , then I'd like to send you an employment contract @Woodsie (I need someone to groom something....but I'm not going to clarify what!!!)

I will take your post seriously .. and fill out the application if you can convince me that one player truly believes he will be housed in concentration camp style accomodation .... or that under the strict rules of the NRL biosecurity they or their families would be at any heightened risk ...

Talk of clarity on these issues is Spin Doctor 101 to smother thier pay deal ... it was an ill-advised ill-timed piece of power gamesmanship that they will be lucky to bullshiite their way out of .... no no no .. we were misqouted .... we are misunderstood .... no no no it;s not about the money .... we are just good guys that will do anything for the game ..... pigs arse .....

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18