NRL obstruction rule needs fixing: Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You've got to give it to the referees. They are consistent. The obstruction issue involving Hall and Watmough, reminded me of oh so many soccer dives I've seen in that international code, a problem that only now the more astute refs in that code are recognising by penalising the player 'diving' to gain a penalty. The incident between Hall and Watmough was just such as incident.

Now I dont blame Hall for trying it...he could see the danger looming and took clever action that worked...well done. But the issue is that it was oh so obviously a dive, and one where Watmough barely touched Hall and in fact raised his arms to show he was avoiding contact. It was so obvious even the TV commentators, trying their best not to be too critical, expressed surprise at the final decision.

Seems to me, having watched so many matches where the video ref is involved, that I sometimes think I must be watching camera angles that these adjudicators dont have, because they seem to get it wrong so often. And hey, I'm all for the video system.

Harrigan obviously has a problem here. Not only does he need to have his refs eyes tested on a regular basis, but they need testing for sheer common sense. I would suggest they have ten video refs for each game, but at present the personnel they have in their ranks would come to ten different conclusions, such is their obviously distorted sense of sight.

Who would be a coach? You're a brave man Mr Toovey.

You've got to give it to the referees. They are consistent. The obstruction issue involving Hall and Watmough, reminded me of oh so many soccer dives I've seen in that international code, a problem that only now the more astute refs in that code are recognising by penalising the player 'diving' to gain a penalty. The incident between Hall and Watmough was just such as incident.

Now I dont blame Hall for trying it...he could see the danger looming and took clever action that worked...well done. But the issue is that it was oh so obviously a dive, and one where Watmough barely touched Hall and in fact raised his arms to show he was avoiding contact. It was so obvious even the TV commentators, trying their best not to be too critical, expressed surprise at the final decision.

Seems to me, having watched so many matches where the video ref is involved, that I sometimes think I must be watching camera angles that these adjudicators dont have, because they seem to get it wrong so often. And hey, I'm all for the video system.

Harrigan obviously has a problem here. Not only does he need to have his refs eyes tested on a regular basis, but they need testing for sheer common sense. I would suggest they have ten video refs for each game, but at present the personnel they have in their ranks would come to ten different conclusions, such is their obviously distorted sense of sight.

Who would be a coach? You're a brave man Mr Toovey.

I'm still trying to get my head around Hodges' "try" in Origin. They let a blatant shepherd like that go, yet Hall takes a dive and we get penalised. Go figure.

I had high hopes for Billy, but once again his ego has got in the way. They need an ex player in there to run the refs, one not long retired and still in touch with the game. These whistle blowers have never played the game, in fact you can guarantee they were last picked in the playground. They obviously have no "feel" for the rules and the game. If I hear the words Key Indicators used once more to justify a crap decision I'll scream. It's mind boggling how inept the video refs are, they should just toss a coin when it is sent upstairs, it would improve their success rate.

I'm still trying to get my head around Hodges' "try" in Origin. They let a blatant shepherd like that go, yet Hall takes a dive and we get penalised. Go figure.

I had high hopes for Billy, but once again his ego has got in the way. They need an ex player in there to run the refs, one not long retired and still in touch with the game. These whistle blowers have never played the game, in fact you can guarantee they were last picked in the playground. They obviously have no "feel" for the rules and the game. If I hear the words Key Indicators used once more to justify a crap decision I'll scream. It's mind boggling how inept the video refs are, they should just toss a coin when it is sent upstairs, it would improve their success rate.

Jethro said:
The Who said:
Every week we get stronger evidence that having two refs, and a video ref, does not help the standard of officiating.

True, but still nothing will be done about it

I'm not so sure. With coaches now saying that the video ref and the two referee experiment has failed our voices are starting to be heard. The Independent Commission listed and changed the finals system; now I'm hoping they will fix up scheduling and revert back to how RL used to be officiated.

Jethro said:
The Who said:
Every week we get stronger evidence that having two refs, and a video ref, does not help the standard of officiating.

True, but still nothing will be done about it

I'm not so sure. With coaches now saying that the video ref and the two referee experiment has failed our voices are starting to be heard. The Independent Commission listed and changed the finals system; now I'm hoping they will fix up scheduling and revert back to how RL used to be officiated.

Clint said:
niccipops said:
Bill Harrigan as the referees boss is seriously concerning. I've always thought that bloke was a fair dinkum plonker and he proves it every week.

I was a massive fan of Billy Hollywood Harrigan when he was a referee. I thought he was easily the best getting around at the time.
As the referees boss, is it his fault the current crop aren't up to standard??
hmmm, I'm not sure..

I've just never liked him from back in the days where he used to clash with Toovey on field. This guy must be a continuing nightmare as now he's the boss of the guys Toovey's boys have to deal with on the field.
I don't blame Harrigan for the onfield refs performances but I don't like the way he finds ways to justifiy bad decisions, when suited.

Clint said:
niccipops said:
Bill Harrigan as the referees boss is seriously concerning. I've always thought that bloke was a fair dinkum plonker and he proves it every week.

I was a massive fan of Billy Hollywood Harrigan when he was a referee. I thought he was easily the best getting around at the time.
hmmm, I'm not sure..

I've just never liked him from back in the days where he used to clash with Toovey on field. This guy must be a continuing nightmare as now he's the boss of the guys Toovey's boys have to deal with on the field.
I don't blame Harrigan for the onfield refs performances but I don't like the way he finds ways to justifiy bad decisions, when suited.

Daniel said:
Clint said:
niccipops said:

hmmm, I'm not sure..

It absolutely is, it's his job to train them and qualify them. If he isn't doing that then he is failing at his job

I hear what you are saying Dan, but you can't get blood from a stone. The individuals have to have some sort of talent to begin with. That said, someone posted on here yesterday that the video ref should only be used for "put downs" and not all the other BS that they adjudicate on. There is a lot of merit in this.

niccipops said:
Clint said:
niccipops said:

hmmm, I'm not sure..

hey niccipops,

no doubt there is a bit of an ego issue going on there with Billy. Again, someone suggested having ex players as refs coaches. Again, there is a lot of merit in this line of thought also.

Daniel said:
Clint said:
niccipops said:

hmmm, I'm not sure..

It absolutely is, it's his job to train them and qualify them. If he isn't doing that then he is failing at his job

I hear what you are saying Dan, but you can't get blood from a stone. The individuals have to have some sort of talent to begin with. That said, someone posted on here yesterday that the video ref should only be used for "put downs" and not all the other BS that they adjudicate on. There is a lot of merit in this.

niccipops said:
Clint said:
niccipops said:

hmmm, I'm not sure..

hey niccipops,

no doubt there is a bit of an ego issue going on there with Billy. Again, someone suggested having ex players as refs coaches. Again, there is a lot of merit in this line of thought also.

Ummm surely that last eels try was an obstruction. Nice consistency that we have come to expect.
If you didn't see it check mullaney try just before th
e 20th minute

Ummm surely that last eels try was an obstruction. Nice consistency that we have come to expect.
If you didn't see it check mullaney try just before th
e 20th minute

Clint said:
hey niccipops,

An ego and no love lost between him and Tooves.
Ex players as refs coaches or review panelists might work better than what we have now. Don't think it could be worse.

Clint said:
hey niccipops,

Ex players as refs coaches or review panelists might work better than what we have now. Don't think it could be worse.

Maybe the refs are not incompetent and just deliberately favour one team over another. There have been many incidents were a video ref decision leaves EVERYONE bar the ref concerned, and Bill, scratching their head and saying no one could be that stupid to award a try there.(The absolute best was Bill's awarding a video try to Gasnier a couple of years back. Perhaps the power went to his head that night). The video refs thinking in such incidents seems to be more along the lines of 'can I get away with this decision' rather than the rules of the game and the spirit of the game.

I can sometimes forgive the onfield ref for a dumb decision in the heat of battle but the video ref has NO excuse. No one could be that incompetent. The only conclusion I can draw is that they are deliberately favouring one team over another. I'm not saying conspiracy but something doesn't fit.

Manly seem to cop the worst of it. Sharks, Tigers, Storm get an extra player in pink most weeks.

Maybe the refs are not incompetent and just deliberately favour one team over another. There have been many incidents were a video ref decision leaves EVERYONE bar the ref concerned, and Bill, scratching their head and saying no one could be that stupid to award a try there.(The absolute best was Bill's awarding a video try to Gasnier a couple of years back. Perhaps the power went to his head that night). The video refs thinking in such incidents seems to be more along the lines of 'can I get away with this decision' rather than the rules of the game and the spirit of the game.

I can sometimes forgive the onfield ref for a dumb decision in the heat of battle but the video ref has NO excuse. No one could be that incompetent. The only conclusion I can draw is that they are deliberately favouring one team over another. I'm not saying conspiracy but something doesn't fit.

Manly seem to cop the worst of it. Sharks, Tigers, Storm get an extra player in pink most weeks.

niccipops said:
Clint said:
hey niccipops,

hey niccipops,

i stand corrected. after tonights debacle, I believe Bill Harrigan has a lot to answer for. Some of the decisions in both games were diabolical.

A blatant Bulldogs obstruction play let go by the refs last night, why are they the only NRL club not penalised?!?

Whilst on refs did anyone else see the article in the paper this week with Michael "pantyhose head" Crocker saying that the refs are doing a good job and we should lay off them. Expect some favorable penalty counts for souffs in coming weeks.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6