NRL Finals Preview

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Caketiger

Hi there

For anyone interested, I have written a blog previewing this weekend's finals.

NRL Finals Preview

Sorry guys, I think the Bulldogs will win on Friday night :s

Can you convince me otherwise?

Caketiger said:
Hi there

NRL Finals Preview

I think Manly will win, can you convince me otherwise?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even though yours is wrong.
Please come back in a couple of weeks and write us off again in the semi-final.

Your analysis makes no mention of the halves & barely a mention of the hookers (apart from Ennis being a villain). In my opinion Manly's 6, 7, & 9 are much stronger than CBs & this fact will have a major bearing on the game.

Caketiger said:
Hi there

NRL Finals Preview

Challenge accepted, firstly Manly have a good record at ANZ in recent times that includes the dogs. Secondly, the last time these two teams played Manly went into the game on the back of a big loss to Newcastle, that is not the case this time. Thirdly, after big wins, like the dogs had against the roosters, teams usually have a drop in total score the next round. In addition, If you look at the amount of try's Stewart has saved for games played this year and last year you would know that without him Manly's last line of defense usually does not hold up. Furthermore, when you take into account how much he can add to a team in attack you would understand why the Bulldogs won the last encounter by a narrow margin. Lastly, the team has improved since losing to Newcastle, as they returned the favor a few weeks ago, which means they have improved since the last dogs match, but i wonder whether the dogs have improved given that they lost to Canberra two weeks ago. All i know is that beating a Roosters side before the finals does not mean that you are prepared to face the premiers.

Caketiger said:
Hi there

NRL Finals Preview

This is pretty simple really:

1. Brett Stewart > or = Ben Barba
2. Jorge Tafua = Sam Perret
3. Jamie Lyon > Josh Morris
4. Steve Matai > Krisnan Inu
5. Dean Whare > Jono Wright
6. Kieran Foran > Josh Reynolds
7. DCE > Kris Keating
8. Jason King > Aiden Tolman
9. Matt Ballin > Michael Ennis
10. Brent Kite < Sam Kasiano
11. Anthony Watmough > Frank Pritchard
12. Tony Williams > Josh Jackson
13. Glenn Stewart > Greg Eastwood

On top of being superior individually, we are a true team, a band of brothers who have done it all before. Our boys know what it takes to win the comp, they've done it twice in the past 4 years.

In the past 4 years you lot have won a spoon and bought a couple of new teams over as well as buying an entire coaching staff.

Over to you smartarse.

It's only the finals for the Dogs this week,Manly will wait till September 30th:D

Expecting a lot of Thank You cards for the Manly Club in training your Coaching Group:idea:

Mals said:
Your analysis makes no mention of the halves & barely a mention of the hookers (apart from Ennis being a villain). In my opinion Manly's 6, 7, & 9 are much stronger than CBs & this fact will have a major bearing on the game.

Cherry-Evans is the stronger half-back but Foran can drift in and out of games. If Foran is on form for the full 80, then Manly will have the edge at 6 and 7. I don't agree that Manly are that much stronger at hooker.

Manly do have the playoff experience over the Bulldogs and it will be a close game.

I still think that the Bulldogs forwards are better placed to give them the field position where the backs can finish things off.

Mr InviswannahangoutnobigDEAL! said:
Caketiger said:
Hi there

NRL Finals Preview

Challenge accepted, firstly Manly have a good record at ANZ in recent times that includes the dogs. Secondly, the last time these two teams played Manly went into the game on the back of a big loss to Newcastle, that is not the case this time. Thirdly, after big wins, like the dogs had against the roosters, teams usually have a drop in total score the next round. In addition, If you look at the amount of try's Stewart has saved for games played this year and last year you would know that without him Manly's last line of defense usually does not hold up. Furthermore, when you take into account how much he can add to a team in attack you would understand why the Bulldogs won the last encounter by a narrow margin. Lastly, the team has improved since losing to Newcastle, as they returned the favor a few weeks ago, which means they have improved since the last dogs match, but i wonder whether the dogs have improved given that they lost to Canberra two weeks ago. All i know is that beating a Roosters side before the finals does not mean that you are prepared to face the premiers.

The Bulldogs will definitely have to keep a watch on the Stewarts in attack. The great thing about this game is how many attacking options both sides have - it should be a great game to watch.

Hasler has been through the playoffs and knows what to expect whereas this is Toovey's first finals as a coach. Will that make a difference?

If the referees penalise the dogs for the illegal blocking (NFL) type plays Manly will win. This 'blocking move' has been spoken of by 2V in earlier articles.

However, in the unlikely event that the dogs win the premiership the dogs will become the 'Cinderella story' and TV ratings bonanza for the NRL.

In no way should my comments be MISCONSTRUED that I think the NRL is anything but ethical, honest, honourable and entirely fair in the running of the game. And of course the NRL wouldn't fix or conspire to fix the outcome of games for any reason in my opinion.

But I do see some refereeing decisions from time-to-time and I do scratch my head in wonder at some of them.

Caketiger said:
Mals said:

Cherry-Evans is the stronger half-back but Foran can drift in and out of games. If Foran is on form for the full 80, then Manly will have the edge at 6 and 7. I don't agree that Manly are that much stronger at hooker.

Manly do have the playoff experience over the Bulldogs and it will be a close game.

I still think that the Bulldogs forwards are better placed to give them the field position where the backs can finish things off.

Mr InviswannahangoutnobigDEAL! said:
Caketiger said:
Hi there

NRL Finals Preview

The Bulldogs will definitely have to keep a watch on the Stewarts in attack. The great thing about this game is how many attacking options both sides have - it should be a great game to watch.

Hasler has been through the playoffs and knows what to expect whereas this is Toovey's first finals as a coach. Will that make a difference?

Too much emphasis on the coaching experience which ignores that Tooves has been involved close enough as the Assistant, to 'get' the finals build-up. Manly benefit far more between him and the vast majority of players having 'been there, done that'.

Des is one man with a squad of relatively little big match experience. Their spine hasn't got a proven record under pressure and they might not cope with the extra attention from this week, and on the field.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7