NRL.com Season review: Manly Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MANLY SEA EAGLES 2012 Season Review

Wins: 16
Losses: 8
Position: 4th
Home Record: 8 wins, 3 losses (5th)
Away Record: 8 wins, 5 losses (3rd)
Longest Winning Streak: 6 (Round 21-Round 26)
Longest Losing Streak: 3 (Rounds 3-5)
Players Used: 24
Tries Scored (after 26 rounds): 89 (=6th)
Tries Conceded (after 26 rounds): 71 (3rd fewest)

Read the full article

As balanced an article as I've seen. Was either written by a Manly fan or one of the rare insightful journalists.

It's on nrl.com. They have a vested interest in keeping fans feeling positive. As opposed to a lot of media commentators, who are either bitter or else think biased agendas will bring them greater popularity or ratings.

Some interesting stats in there. Good long kick metres, but crap at finding the grass. Have to admit to noticing that about DCE a few times this season, and it's something he needs to work on.

Also the fact that we finished 11th in metres gained is a telling stat. Doesn't say much about our prop rotation and our dominance up front. Such a key area in the modern game, so there is definitely room for improvement there.

You're not going to win them all. But as long as you're competitive, you're a chance.

Manly came into 2012 looking like they'd been savaged by a rabid dog..and I suppose they were. I gave them a likely 8th place finish given the loss of Hopoate, Dessie et al. Toovey came in under prepared because he hadnt expected to be coaching the top team this early.

To make matters worse:
1) The team had a dreadful run of serious injuries and suspensions during the year, so that the No 1l unit only played a few games together.

2) The ongoing contractual issues, and potential of losing many of their players was a constant distraction. As it is they have lost Oldfield, the Hopoate brothers, the Lussick brothers, Drinkwater, Whare, Harrison and Tony Williams. At one stage we feared losing also Cherry-Evans, Foran, Wolfman Williams and the Stewart brothers. It was a trying time that only was finally resolved with Brett Stewart's signing just on semi final time. It was an ongoing distraction, even if it ended up generally positively.

3) The Board continued to squabble and the media seemed to enjoy putting the knife in.

Statistically Manly should have finished 7th or 8th, but I think it showed the resolve of the players and perhaps some gradually emerging coaching skills with Toovey, that got them into fourth. Personally I couldn't see them winning the cup this year, but they exceeded my expectation.

Manly has some defensive issues to address and their attack has been quite frankly stunted this year, two areas requiring serious attention for next year. I don't think the loss of Tony Williams is going to be a major loss, while we have two such outstanding back rowers in Glen Stewart and Watmough. Tuafua looks a good potential. Lyon is always a class act and an uninjurred Matai makes it a formidable middle backline. I think Foran and Cherry-Evans will benefit from a quiet year....they now know how hard it really is. Buhrer needs to be used more effectively...I would suggest dummy half in attack. Brett seems to be getting his mojo gradually back.

But its the youngsters such as Gutherson, Trbjevic, Chee-Can etc who I believe will breath new life into the Manly team and hopefully they will get plenty of game time to develop their obvious outstanding skills.

Yes Toovey with a year under his belt and more time to prepare...and hopefully a decent assistant coach (I'm hoping Blake) to infuse new ideas...should start 2013 with more optimism. Injury free I think Manly will again reach the top four. :cool::cool:four.http://forums.silvertails.net/images/smilies/cool.gif

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8