NRL 9's in 2020

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
There are plenty of debates about this pre season entertainment weekend and though always a worry about injuries....it is a great spectacle and personally love the weekend.
Used to go back in the day when Manly had Cliffy, Terry Hill and Jack Elsegood dominating with some exciting footy.
Anyways, its on in Perth the 14th and 15th Feb (next month), so not far away.
Being a sport with 9 on the field and 4 reserves (11 man squad) - who do you think will play, a few no chance overcoming injury and I think Tom will be kept away from this event also....

Here's my tip -

1 - Schuster
2 - Cust
3 - Garrick
4 - Metcalfe
5 - DCE
6 - Elliott
7 - Miski
8 - Olakauatu
9 - Gosiewski
10 - Sirro
11 - Waddell

Maybe basket -
  • Hoppa
  • Docker Clay
  • Anderson
  • Ben T
  • Funa
  • T Rex

Last edited:
As much as I believe DCE as captain will probably play the Nine's (given the NRL's ruling that at least 3 regulars or name players are in each teams squad) ... I honestly wish he would rest the ankle and anything else until the trials.

The good thing is we're not likely to see either Tom or Jake risked in such a nothing tournament.

Keppie is pretty mobile for a big boy so he might do alright. I'd also take Suli, needs as many miles in his legs as possible to get that match hardened edge to him. Also Sam Smith might be handy, big unit so can play that backrower/centre edge role. Only other one would be Croker perhaps

I agree on the DCE / Walker call @double hoops - nothing but downside to be gained by taking Chez, he had a pretty high workload in 2019 so deserves a rest. Alos I doubt they'll risk Hoppa, his workload this year will be very carefully managed I reckon

Here's to a rare injury free type season for us, hey :oncomingpolice: Footy God's have to be kind to us eventually :)
We will need to make a sacrifice to appease the gods.

That way they will favour our fortune. Anyone got any suggestions as to what or whom should be sacrificed and where it should take place??

We will need to make a sacrifice to appease the gods.

That way they will favour our fortune. Anyone got any suggestions as to what or whom should be sacrificed and where it should take place??
Haha, I'll volunteer, but someone will have to do the deed, I don't have the balls.

Do it at my place , on a Wednesday. Bin night :p

Here's to a rare injury free type season for us, hey :oncomingpolice: Footy God's have to be kind to us eventually :)

The footy God's were kind to us last year .... best injury free and suspension free run with our forward pack in the history of rugby League ...

Prefer not to be taking any slightly injury prone players for that type of an open running format and where awkward tackles can be more prevalent . Keen , younger and agile guys like Anderson , Ben Turbo and Funa probably would be suited , Jet Ski and Oloka have genuine speed , maybe even Paseka who is fairly mobile . Good type of playing format for Schuster to show his ability and Garrick , Miski and Elliot would probably go well too .

Overlooked Metcaffe whose playing style should be suited to this open type of footy also . Should be a good attacking spectacle but some real effort and smart tactics in defence will also be required for any side to gain some success .

Overlooked Metcaffe whose playing style should be suited to this open type of footy also . Should be a good attacking spectacle but some real effort and smart tactics in defence will also be required for any side to gain some success .
Your spot on - ALL teams will have some magical attacking players, but like the NRL, it's the best defensive side who generally takes out the title.

While everyone goes yay, how cool for the roosters to do this....

uncle nick just rubs his hands with glee knowing that there's one less roosters player that may get injured!

Really looking forward to this in a couple of weeks. Great format and opportunity to showcase some of the younger guys particularly messrs Shuster, Ben T and Hoppie jnr. I would also have young Keppie, Paseka and (now) Levi in the side. We should give this a good shake.

Does anyone know how Hoppie went with his ACL tests?

Really looking forward to this in a couple of weeks. Great format and opportunity to showcase some of the younger guys particularly messrs Shuster, Ben T and Hoppie jnr. I would also have young Keppie, Paseka and (now) Levi in the side. We should give this a good shake.

I doubt they will risk young Hoppa. He still has to get through his final testing, and I'm sure Des will be treating him with the greatest care. Schuster I understand was also coming back from injury but should be OK. Tempting to add Tom, but again Des will keep his stars in cotton wool until the trials. No value in risking your stars.

We wont risk Levi either. He may get half a trial game, but we didn't bring him in for 9s or trials really.

Keppie is pretty mobile for a big boy so he might do alright. I'd also take Suli, needs as many miles in his legs as possible to get that match hardened edge to him. Also Sam Smith might be handy, big unit so can play that backrower/centre edge role. Only other one would be Croker perhaps

I agree on the DCE / Walker call @double hoops - nothing but downside to be gained by taking Chez, he had a pretty high workload in 2019 so deserves a rest. Alos I doubt they'll risk Hoppa, his workload this year will be very carefully managed I reckon
I would give young Edward Ipape a run, see how he motors in this form

Would be great to see if we can register Brett to play in the Nines, Would be great to see him out there again.

Been done previously with Fittler, Beaver etc no?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6