NRL 2016: Manly Sea Eagles recruits struggling to provide bang for buck after club rebuild — Pressur

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
THE Sea Eagles off-season shopping spree had them tipped as top four specials before a ball was kicked in 2016.

But disturbing trends in the form lines of Manly’s marquee recruits have the side sitting fourth last, four points outside the top eight as the season reaches its halfway point.

Rome wasn’t whacked together in a day and Bob Fulton’s famed rebuild on the Peninsular won’t come crumbling down at the end of the week. But if Trent Barrett’s side comes away from a freezing Canberra road trip empty-handed on Friday, then things will start to heat up for the rookie coach.

A loss would leave them a likely six points clear of the top eight, needing nine wins from the next 12 games to crack the standard 28-point finals cut off.

Those numbers are concerning enough. Then toss in the following around Manly’s big name summer buys.

* Nate Myles has run for an average of just 38.5 metres in his last two games in the maroon and white and hasn’t made a line break since 2012.

* Dylan Walker’s shift to the halves has seen his tackle breaks (1.8 per game) halved compared to the 2014/15 seasons, when he was averaging 3.6 per game, and his running metres down from an average of 101 metres to 73 so far this year. His try assist and line break assist numbers have stagnated despite a shift into a playmaking role, while averaging an error a game.

* Marty Taupau will have missed four games through suspension when his three-game ban for dumping Matt Gillett ends in round 15. And despite playing an extra 29 minutes a game on average since shifting from the Tigers, his tackle busts are down from 4.14 per game to 2.5 in 2016 as he moves to an edge role.

The likes of Apisai Koroisau, Matt Parcell and Darcy Lussick are all either hitting the same targets they have throughout their NRL careers, or new heights, since linking with Manly.

Koroisau already has as many try assists (3) and line breaks (3) from six games this years as he did at Penrith in 16 last year.

But Manly’s most high profile imports are clearly yet to hit their straps.

It’s an unfamiliar position for the Silvertails, who for the last decade have got bang for their buck and then some when it comes to their roster.

It’s why 2015 was the first time they missed the finals in 11 attempts.

Welcome to The Pressure Gauge.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...e/news-story/4efe32a155b97f8168ed93442f384097

Can't disagree with much in that story, as I said in the Raiders game day thread I think the position we are at now will be about where we end after 26 rounds, maybe a spot or two higher, maybe a spot or two lower, but I can't see us making the 8 unless there's a massive clicking into gear real soon!!

When Myles say's he's down on form does that mean his timing is off or does it mean he's not playing to his potential ?

I can understand a form lapse if someone has personal issues or they're playing with injury. What am I not understanding ?

The players are playing different positions or roles than they did at other clubs in 2015...the only fair comparable is Myles who - well didn't really set the world on fire at Titans did he??
As for Api & Lussick - both improved with a rating on Parcell not fair as he was not in NRL last season...though in fairness could be seen as a success due to making the starting 13 every week now.
Walker in his 1 game at centre last week looked every bit as effective as ever, so another Manly beatup imo.

The players are playing different positions or roles than they did at other clubs in 2015...the only fair comparable is Myles who - well didn't really set the world on fire at Titans did he??
As for Api & Lussick - both improved with a rating on Parcell not fair as he was not in NRL last season...though in fairness could be seen as a success due to making the starting 13 every week now.
Walker in his 1 game at centre last week looked every bit as effective as ever, so another Manly beatup imo.
You know what isn't a Manly beat up... our position on the ladder and the very difficult task we are setting ourselves for a top 8 finish.

Last edited:
You not what isn't a Manly beat up... our position on the ladder and the very difficult task we are setting ourselves for a top 8 finish.
Yep that's why they stick in the boot - far from happy with the season so far, but plenty of elements add to the effort & that position....taking aim at the recruits - no big deal - just don't agree they are going badly...Myles the only one I expected more from under the conditions, but maybe that was a stretch based on his form the past 2 years.

"Darcy Lussick hitting the same targets he has throughout his NRL career, or new heights, since linking with Manly...."
I presume this means he's giving away as many penalties as ever?

After seeing Barrett's team named today - I completely understand why the players are looking slow, lazy and lethargic. Why bother, when the best players available aren't selected?

I SO wanted Barrett to succeed. I can't believe what an imbecile he's turned out to be. Is Peter Peters in his ear about team selection?

Brayden Wiliame has won once in 25 odd ****ing first grade games.

Barrett clearly is determined to fail. There's an old a saying "when you are in a hole stop digging." He just keeps digging. I expected Bozo to provide guidance looks like he's getting none. His incredibility slow response to the failed Walker experiment suggests that his ego is clouding his better judgement. Common Bozo get in his ear he needs a lot of help!

When Myles say's he's down on form does that mean his timing is off or does it mean he's not playing to his potential ?

I can understand a form lapse if someone has personal issues or they're playing with injury. What am I not understanding ?
Nothing. He's **** and was a dud buy. To us he is what watmough was to the eels

THE Sea Eagles off-season shopping spree had them tipped as top four specials before a ball was kicked in 2016.

But disturbing trends in the form lines of Manly’s marquee recruits have the side sitting fourth last, four points outside the top eight as the season reaches its halfway point.

Rome wasn’t whacked together in a day and Bob Fulton’s famed rebuild on the Peninsular won’t come crumbling down at the end of the week. But if Trent Barrett’s side comes away from a freezing Canberra road trip empty-handed on Friday, then things will start to heat up for the rookie coach.

A loss would leave them a likely six points clear of the top eight, needing nine wins from the next 12 games to crack the standard 28-point finals cut off.

Those numbers are concerning enough. Then toss in the following around Manly’s big name summer buys.

* Nate Myles has run for an average of just 38.5 metres in his last two games in the maroon and white and hasn’t made a line break since 2012.

* Dylan Walker’s shift to the halves has seen his tackle breaks (1.8 per game) halved compared to the 2014/15 seasons, when he was averaging 3.6 per game, and his running metres down from an average of 101 metres to 73 so far this year. His try assist and line break assist numbers have stagnated despite a shift into a playmaking role, while averaging an error a game.

* Marty Taupau will have missed four games through suspension when his three-game ban for dumping Matt Gillett ends in round 15. And despite playing an extra 29 minutes a game on average since shifting from the Tigers, his tackle busts are down from 4.14 per game to 2.5 in 2016 as he moves to an edge role.

The likes of Apisai Koroisau, Matt Parcell and Darcy Lussick are all either hitting the same targets they have throughout their NRL careers, or new heights, since linking with Manly.

Koroisau already has as many try assists (3) and line breaks (3) from six games this years as he did at Penrith in 16 last year.

But Manly’s most high profile imports are clearly yet to hit their straps.

It’s an unfamiliar position for the Silvertails, who for the last decade have got bang for their buck and then some when it comes to their roster.

It’s why 2015 was the first time they missed the finals in 11 attempts.

Welcome to The Pressure Gauge.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...e/news-story/4efe32a155b97f8168ed93442f384097
Recruits were dreadful back up,by a coach who has no aurora about him at all. God help us fancy saying things are not going to get better for sometime, I will,I could tell that to my boss. Dead set LOSER.

I honestly don't think that Nate Myles has been as bad as some are making out.

Yes by his own admission his form for Manly has been down, but he has been consistent for the most part.

So far he is 4th in metres gained with 1089 (only Tom, Jake and Vave have run more), has made the 3rd most tackles with 366 (behind Jake and Parcell) and is equal 4th in the team for offloads with 8.

On the other side of the coin he has missed 28 tackles, 2nd most behind Walker who has 30.

I think because people see him as a plodder that they tend to see him as not putting in. But Myles is a 30 year old front rower and its not like he was ever Beaver-esk with his running game.

Yes by his own admission his form for Manly has been down, but he has been consistent for the most part.

So far he is 4th in metres gained with 1089 (only Tom, Jake and Vave have run more), has made the 3rd most tackles with 366 (behind Jake and Parcell) and is equal 4th in the team for offloads with 8.

On the other side of the coin he has missed 28 tackles, 2nd most behind Walker who has 30.

I think because people see him as a plodder that they tend to see him as not putting in. But Myles is a 30 year old front rower and its not like he was ever Beaver-esk with his running game.
Your stats about him surprised. Done more than I thought. Still too much if a plodder and half the time I don't even know he's on the field. We need a Ben Kennedy type player ATM

As arguably our most expensive forward, fourth in metres gained is pretty average. And missing the second most amount of tackles in the whole team is pretty poor.
I don't mean to sound like I'm sticking the boot in but value for money wise his efforts are somewhat disappointing if you go by those stats.

I know you can't always use money as an indicator but I'd be interested in how he stacks up against other $600,000 forwards.

As arguably our most expensive forward, fourth in metres gained is pretty average. And missing the second most amount of tackles in the whole team is pretty poor.
I don't mean to sound like I'm sticking the boot in but value for money wise his efforts are somewhat disappointing if you go by those stats.

I know you can't always use money as an indicator but I'd be interested in how he stacks up against other $600,000 forwards.

I don't think he's on $600,000 with us, he was on around $500,000 with the Titans, and they only offered him a $300,000 new contract, I would say he's on about $350,000 -400,000 with us.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4