Not good enough tonight

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not to bad a feeling after tonight!!

It was just one of those nights.

Well played souths - you were better than us tonight!!

We were flat a bit tonight , it happens.

The media will now jump on the souths band wagon and I hope they do - back under the radar we go. I would love nothing more than to beat them in grand final this year if we make it

Souths will be overconfident next time we play them!!

Our boys will be hurting after tonight and will keep in the memory banks for next time we play them as said previously.

We are still 1st by 2 points and are right in this comp.

Our boys will be back.

Killer03 said:
I feel tonight is one of those losses we had to have. We've had a good run, and we actually have a pretty light run to the semis. I wouldn't want to have won a heap in a row heading into the semi, as the pessimist in me says a loss is coming. Better now than week 3 of the semis.

This was enough of a touch up against a good side to make us realize that this comp is far from won. Plus I feel that a few of these players like Killer, Snake, Choc (the old brigade) really put these losses (and chirping from little smart alecs) in the memory banks, to pull out at a convenient semi final match up.

My thoughts too, well said!

Surprised no one blamed the heritage jersey for the loss lol.

I hate losses but i really felt we were due one. There are a lot of motivators for our team to win this year and adding revenge for last night will only do the team well come finals time.

Aggression was the difference last night. Souffs had that in defence especially.

I think we struggled after Matai got taken out so early in the game.

I think the next time we play them we have to be much smarter with the ball, better kicking game to turn their big fellas around.

We spent way too much time in our own half on the back of handling errors.

SeaEagle21 said:

I hate losses but i really felt we were due one. There are a lot of motivators for our team to win this year and adding revenge for last night will only do the team well come finals time.

I'm pretty sure that it did get a mention or two in one of the other threads (most probably the 'Game Day' thread).

No it is all the board in-fighting and the contract releases and the unrest at Manly that has finally came home to roost.

When I looked at the thread title I thought it was going to be about the standard of refereeing, but it wasn't.

Don't you just hate generally speaking when people say "I'm not using this as an excuse---but" then offer one lol while at the end of the sentence will then return the old "not taking anything away from Souths(as an example)they deserved the win and were the better team.

Or even starting with the "Not taking anything away from Manly(as an example) they were the better side"---then ruining the compliment with a long list of excuses.

By the way Michael Crockers comments about Manly having a tough mentality was more gamesmanship to soften us up even though he does believe this to be the case.(with past teams more so than the current squad this year)

Seen Bellamy use it against Manly and compliment certain players big time to soften them up and in general it works well with most people---we all love a compliment and get distracted with the praise it is human nature.

There are many players in the current squad who have to earn the right to have that praise and not just feel playing in our colours automatically gives you a strong/tough mentality.

A couple of things I noticed out of last nights game.

If Jamie Buhrer hadn't dropped that ball close to the line, Lote wouldn't have had the ball to run 70m downfield which resulted in their first try. Nine times out of ten Jamie doesn't drop that ball. Added to the piggyback penalties the refs gave Souffs to get them out of trouble and it killed all of our early momentum. Unfortunately for Jamie he had "Choc Hands Syndrome" last night and couldn't hold onto the ball to save himself. Ironically Choc himself didn't drop the ball once and had probably his best game all season.

Lote's run showed me that Jorge isn't fit right now and that his ankle isn't close to being right. Tuqiri is by no means the fastest winger in the comp, not even at the Vermin, yet he left Jorge for dead and it took Cherry and Killer flying across from the other side to bring him down (was impressed with Cherry's pace). That meant we had no one defending on the right and they did exactly what they should have done, threw the ball to their left and scored.

A worrying thing I have noticed over the past few weeks is that while our goal line defence is usually second to none, we are letting a lot of teams make line breaks coming out of their own half and its only been scrambling defence, or the brilliance of Snake's last line defence, that have stopped a number of runaway tries being scored. At least twice last night the Vermin would have scored from breaks in their own half had it not been for Snake's defence.

Possibly our best attacking play all night was just after half time when Killer kicked for Snake from a scrum win in our own half. Unfortunately though, while he got a good enough bounce to regather the ball cleanly, it was awkward enough to make him jump for the ball, slowing him enough to allow Johnston to tackle him from behind. If Snake had got a perfect bounce I think he'd have scored, if not under the posts then at least in the corner.

Last night should be a wake up call for Tooves and the boys. We were generally out-muscled and out enthused, while our normally sharp execution was well off. Though having a number of players suffering from the flu wouldn't have helped. Maybe being 4 points ahead of the competition for a couple of weeks so close to the finals has seen a bit of complacency creep in?

Finally, I have to laugh at the media carry on over last night. Listening to the Nein commentary team and reading the articles in the DT and SMH.....if you didn't know any better you'd think Souffs had just won the premiership. I think someone needs to remind them that its only August, Manly are still a game clear on top of the ladder and that the league stopped playing Grand Finals at the SCG after 1987.

Wasnt our greatest performance, which want helped by the puppets in pink.

South's, to their credit did bash us around.

We are allowed to have an off game, mabye its a lose that we needed to bring us back a little. Seemed like we got a little complacent at times.

My happy mate Jace texted me and said that Brookie biased decisions don't travel to away grounds and that Eagles ferals were throwing beer and got chased out of the SCG?? ;)Hope it wasn't Jono with that drum (ala Benny Hill)

Sounds like a fun night. :p

Jethro said:
SeaEagle21 said:

I'm pretty sure that it did get a mention or two in one of the other threads (most probably the 'Game Day' thread).

I thought there might have been. Just love how its been mentioned in the past as a reason the team might have a poor performance :D

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6