Not getting all the despair

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
"Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie", .. I am not getting the same level of despair as many on Silvertails forecast .. I believe we already have a top 6 team roster .. and that all that is required to take us to top 4 and contender status is 2 key signings .. and they may be closer than we predict ..

Let's look at our current squad and depth .. now I know many others would pick a different starting 17 ... you will get my drift as regards injury cover ..

Turbo .. (Funa, Garrick)
Harper .. (Wing depth .. Jorge, Funa, Miski)
Walker .. (centre depth .. Parker, Funa, Harper)
Suli
Garrick
Schuster .. (5/8th depth .. Foran, Walker, Cust, Croker)
DCE .. (halfback depth .. Foran, , Cust, Croker)
Jake ..
Guacamole
Siro ...
Paseka
Fainu
Kapow

Foran
Keppie .. (Prop depth ... Saddler, Sipley)
Boyle
Davey .. (Back row depth ...GoJetSki, )

I have not included any of the young blokes like Burbo, younger Fainu, titmus etc until we know if they are 100% top 30 .. others may ..

The obvious question marks are hooker, and fullback cover ... but I have to figure that if everybody on here can see it ... the powers that be are working on it ...

Conclusion ... If we get a reasonable run with injuries we will be top 6 ... if we get the 2 good signings we all hope for .. top 4 ... but that is my concern, we are not hearing of any moves that give us confidence of strengthening the squad ... let's hope it is all being done on a need to know basis ..

It is the old adage “you’re only as good as your last game...” or twelve games in our case. And they were rubbish.
I’m always optimistic coming into a new season. We will turn it around, and the roster is pretty strong really, I agree.

"Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie", .. I am not getting the same level of despair as many on Silvertails forecast .. I believe we already have a top 6 team roster .. and that all that is required to take us to top 4 and contender status is 2 key signings .. and they may be closer than we predict ..

Let's look at our current squad and depth .. now I know many others would pick a different starting 17 ... you will get my drift as regards injury cover ..

Turbo .. (Funa, Garrick)
Suli
Garrick
Jake ..
Guacamole
Siro ...
Paseka
Fainu
Kapow

Foran
Boyle

I have not included any of the young blokes like Burbo, younger Fainu, titmus etc until we know if they are 100% top 30 .. others may ..

The obvious question marks are hooker, and fullback cover ... but I have to figure that if everybody on here can see it ... the powers that be are working on it ...

Conclusion ... If we get a reasonable run with injuries we will be top 6 ... if we get the 2 good signings we all hope for .. top 4 ... but that is my concern, we are not hearing of any moves that give us confidence of strengthening the squad ... let's hope it is all being done on a need to know basis ..

Guess my worry mate, is:
  • Can Fainu play?
  • Will Walker be able to play (may just be stood down for two trials like Chee Kam)?
  • Will Trbojevic, Foran Suli play, or be injured?
  • Will Des have to coconuts to sit Parker, Funa, Taufua?

NB: Didn't think of Harper on the wing, but absolutely fantastic idea.
Also think Des will go with Jetski to start, with Davey on the bench (Boyle dropping off), and Haumole will play more in the middle.
Likely think Foran starts at 9 while Fainu's case is done, and Cust comes onto the bench (or Croker).

As you sad though, we add say Saab, and a top end forward, THEN we have depth (especially if all the other spots work):

01. Tom Trbojevic (Tevita Funa)
02. Jason Saab (Jorge Taufua)
03. Dylan Walker (Morgan Harper)
04. Moses Suli (Brad Parker)
05. Reuben Garrick (Abbas Miski)
06. Josh Schuster (Cade Cust)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans (Lachlan Croker)
08. XXXXXXXX (Morgan Boyle)
09. Manase Fainu (Zach Dockar-Clay)
10. Marty Taupua (Toafofoa Sipley)
11. Haumole Olakau'atu (Zac Saddler)
12. Curtis Sironen (Ben Trbojevic)
13. Jake Trbojevic (Jack Gosiewski)

14. Kieran Foran
15. Taniela Paseka (Keith Titmuss)
16. Sean Keppie (Andy Saunders)
17. Andrew Davey (Reed Izzard)

+ Add in development players, we almost have two squads. If our Canterbury cup team weren't a top 2-3 team, I'd be pretty disappointed as well.

That team won't win the comp unfortunately..
Not enough oomph (for lack of a better word) in the pack, and the backline is either average, lazy, or injury prone...

Even everyone fit, we would be the team that makes the 8 but no real shot at the big boys

Turbo .. (Funa, Garrick)
Suli
Garrick
Jake ..
Guacamole
Siro ...
Paseka
Fainu
Kapow

Foran
Boyle

That's almost the shame **** house group that was masquerading as a "team" that was out there most weeks last season. Slow, unfit, can't tackle and can't score tries. Turbo won't get through a season.... never has and there is little chance of Fainu playing.

That's almost the shame **** house group that was masquerading as a "team" that was out there most weeks last season. Turbo won't get through a season.... never has and there is little chance of Fainu playing.

Sweet baby Jesu ... you could depress a happy clapper ... you could make Debbie Downer sound like a joyous tabernacle choir at a Southern Baptist revival meeting ..

Sweet baby Jesu ... you could depress a happy clapper ... you could make Debbie Downer sound like a joyous tabernacle choir at a Southern Baptist revival meeting ..
OK, on the positive side we'll get to see another diorama for the proposed Brookie upgrade!!! Now that is something to look forward to.

I'm scared of those happy clappers .......

I kind of get it Woodsie in the sense we went crap in 2020 and many are basing opinion on the the fact we have lost a heap of players and gained a 27yo with 12 odd fg games and a bloke many are saying won't last more than a few games in the Foz, so will only slide more.
However mate, I totally go with your point, as we have some key players coming including Tom, Schu, Suli (later) though will be back earlier than 1st predicted and I believe Fainu WILL be back....that is basically a new spine with DCE not having to host, cook, serve and clean up so can simply play his game, which will be a far better outcome for Manly.
I believe there will also be another quality forward addition yet to be named, but this dispute with Saab I feel is a real 1, where in 99% of cases clubs let the player wanting out, to simply leave....which I hope they do, but Illawarra are a bludger of a club and pretty lost, so not as straight forward as it should have been, with an original agreement in place that was broken so be dumb to keep a player in these circumstances with a Bird to open the door.

Unfortunately everything rests on tommy. He plays every game we can be top 4 easy. Without a good hooker we will struggle big time if tommy is out as we witnessed this season. Foran will help no doubt.. dce looked to run the ball alot more for qld.. wish he would do the same for us. With foran running that left side like munster dce can focus on his side like b4. Still not sure where the Schu will fit into the side. Hopefully des and snake turn him into gifty 2.0! Hes big enough for the middle and has those silky skills to play either edge in attack. Plus he can kick... we have a very different attacking side next season. If all stay fit we can kick some serious ass. If we stay healthy.
Cust and croker our only "hookers" in the side is very worrying. Hopefully Desmond has someone in mind we can buy. A proper hooker. Imho cust can be a great hooker. He is tough as nails likes to run and has a good short kicking game.

I kind of get it Woodsie in the sense we went crap in 2020 and many are basing opinion on the the fact we have lost a heap of players and gained a 27yo with 12 odd fg games and a bloke many are saying won't last more than a few games in the Foz, so will only slide more.
However mate, I totally go with your point, as we have some key players coming including Tom, Schu, Suli (later) though will be back earlier than 1st predicted and I believe Fainu WILL be back....that is basically a new spine with DCE not having to host, cook, serve and clean up so can simply play his game, which will be a far better outcome for Manly.
I believe there will also be another quality forward addition yet to be named, but this dispute with Saab I feel is a real 1, where in 99% of cases clubs let the player wanting out, to simply leave....which I hope they do, but Illawarra are a bludger of a club and pretty lost, so not as straight forward as it should have been, with an original agreement in place that was broken so be dumb to keep a player in these circumstances with a Bird to open the door.

Agree with all .. although I am personally putting no expectation on Saab ... has done nothing yet to make me believe he is a gun ... but if and when he comes ... I hope he is ...

Unfortunately everything rests on tommy. He plays every game we can be top 4 easy. Without a good hooker we will struggle big time if tommy is out as we witnessed this season. Foran will help no doubt.. dce looked to run the ball alot more for qld.. wish he would do the same for us. With foran running that left side like munster dce can focus on his side like b4. Still not sure where the Schu will fit into the side. Hopefully des and snake turn him into gifty 2.0! Hes big enough for the middle and has those silky skills to play either edge in attack. Plus he can kick... we have a very different attacking side next season. If all stay fit we can kick some serious ass. If we stay healthy.
Cust and croker our only "hookers" in the side is very worrying. Hopefully Desmond has someone in mind we can buy. A proper hooker. Imho cust can be a great hooker. He is tough as nails likes to run and has a good short kicking game.
A lot of “ ifs “ & “ buts” in there , I don’t think we’ll do a lot better in 2021 than this year unless the injury gods are kind to us, our depth is atrocious!!

But stranger things have happened .

Turbo .. (Funa, Garrick)
Suli
Garrick
Jake ..
Guacamole
Siro ...
Paseka
Fainu
Kapow

Foran
Boyle

I agree totally with your assessment Woodsie - bit of a big if about Fainu being available though. If they don't buy a good hooker I think we can say management know something we don't about the Fainu case. But as I have said before without 3/4 of our spine for virtually the whole year - any team would struggle badly so I am not surprised that we missed the finals but yes suprised at some of the weak no heart efforts. I am pretty sure young Fainu will at least be a bench player. If we add Saab, another forward with some real mongrel I think we are top 4 as well if we have a good run with injuries. I would have Jetski in front of Boyle though - just adds a bit of lunatic mongrel. Nothing wrong with a lunatic.

Last edited:

Well, as they say, "All's well that ends well."

and athankyouverymuch

The argument of "that team is the same that went busted this year" is not a strong one. Especially with a squad like ours that has young talent coming through.

Look at the Panthers. Finished 10th in 2018 with a big scandal affecting their team, a fullback that was injured plenty and a big name player that was leaving.

But a young Luai, Crichton, Martin broke through, their fullback returned from injury and to form. They made a canny signing of an experienced play in Api and some solid first graders like Yeo had career years.

Now I'm not saying we are going to do a Panthers winning 17 straight and making the gf but what I am saying is a underperforming squad with a sprinkling of young starlets can improve greatly.

If Schuster, Hoppa (if with us) and Haumole really step up. Turbo and Walker return, we get 15 odd games from Foran, get a miracle with Fainu there is potential to go from zeros to heros.

Lots of ifs and buts though

Staff online

• Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9