No AFB - who is our Intimidator??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It will take some time to get him on the field, however I think that Zac Saddler will be our next scary monster.

You can tell his intention by the look in his eyes, something that maturity will have to control, so not maybe 2021, but beyond.

Should get some short spells though as part of his education.

Last edited:
There is noone up front to rival AFB in pure Power and presence....but we need someone to step up...
I like the new signing Aloiai....Robust and no nonsense....Keppie is a tough hombre who was a little down in 2020 after bursting onto the scene late 2019.
Here's my Big call - the Monster Paseka will get a few slaps from Foz and come out an angry Thing in 2021, this bloke could be anything and we need him to be just that.
Alloiai will play the role of King Nasty. He will be the uber aggressive one to fire up the pack.

Will always need a good level of aggression to be competitive but think that the enforcer or intimidation role has taken on a different form since the ruck changes last season . Can :t be underestimated how much Thommo 's [ and at his best ] controlled aggression was a benefit to the side also . ideally Marty with a bit more direct running and harder edge in defence to fill much of the void . Think that Paseka and Haumole can step up and take the game to the opposing packs and Alioia can play his part also [ if his brief is any indication ] . Keppie has the size and mobility , as does Sipley and Boyle Guess that Marty will be expected to set the pace and lead the way initially at least .

DES's outs and in says he is changing things up for the new rules. I'm expecting (may be hoping) for a game plan largely modelled on the Riff in 2020. Youth and speed out wide and a lighter more mobile pack.

They didn't really have an enforcer. Luai their five eight probably done more niggling and pushing and shoving then any forward. But their pack played as a team more then most.

This no punch rule, dosen't mean the enforcer is dead, but if you have an entire team playing fast footy, all backing each other, there can be a weight of fast moving traffic coming at different angles that the bully eventually not only can't keep up but with, but can become the target in defence.

The entire team just needs to have that mind set of not taking a backward step, backing each other and playing smart.

Its probably that last part the playing smart which concerns me at Manly. I'm hoping Foz will be the saviour, but as good as he is with footy smarts, he will have his work cut out, as playing smart, composed and tactical footy isn't something this Manly forward pack has demonstrated in many years.

DES's outs and in says he is changing things up for the new rules. I'm expecting (may be hoping) for a game plan largely modelled on the Riff in 2020. Youth and speed out wide and a lighter more mobile pack.

They didn't really have an enforcer. Luai their five eight probably done more niggling and pushing and shoving then any forward. But their pack played as a team more then most.

This no punch rule, dosen't mean the enforcer is dead, but if you have an entire team playing fast footy, all backing each other, there can be a weight of fast moving traffic coming at different angles that the bully eventually not only can't keep up but with, but can become the target in defence.

The entire team just needs to have that mind set of not taking a backward step, backing each other and playing smart.

Its probably that last part the playing smart which concerns me at Manly. I'm hoping Foz will be the saviour, but as good as he is with footy smarts, he will have his work cut out, as playing smart, composed and tactical footy isn't something this Manly forward pack has demonstrated in many years.
That 's a good summary but plenty of mobility with the likes of Paseka , Haumole , even Siro ,Jake , Marty and Jet Ski , hopefully even Alioia , so no reason why they can not adapt to a necessary and quicker pace and playing mode around the ruck . Need some better direction but Foz or Schuster can make a difference there and then for D C E to hopefully offer some more playing options also

Everything you said is spot on ... but over the years I have noticed that the one thing that discourages an entire team from playing fast footy and backing each other up ... is being sat on their arrses by a few bone rattlers ...

In the Grandfinal, the Melb forwards were aggressive and got off the line and in Penrith's faces .... adjusts a lot of attitudes ..becomes a matter of who blinks first ..

This is a really good topic for many reasons (I agree with the author). I hate to bring up the old enemy, but as an ex-Bears supporter, I'll say they had a fantastic team at times, but lacked aggression, which in turn made them very soft. Tough, gritty teams would often ride, right over the top of them at the back end of games.

It wasn't until they brought in guys like Danny Williams (grub), and Josh Stuart (grub, and knew him personally), where that would turn around. Okay, there were players like Larson, Florimo and others who had ability, but they had no aggression.

Every good team needs aggression, and plenty of it. Intimidation. When we were good, we had players like Watmough, who never took a step back, Matai who was an intimidator, then guys like Perry, Horo and others who were quite forward with their physicality.

Our current team is littered with skill and ability. Where that intimidation comes from, beats me.

Marty may well be in contention for club man of the century, best all round nice guy, and cultural heart and soul of Brookie ... and all well deserved ... and cannot fault his personal stats and performance during a game .. but ..

But .. as a leader on the field ?? ... sorry, I just don't see it, but I am prepared to be proven wrong if somebody who records all the games can post any footage of Marty actually talking to another player on the field, or gee-ing anybody up, or even interacting with another player in any form ...will even take nodding politely in their general direction ...

No, Marty may well be a leader off the field .. but I think we need somebody else in the forwards to lead on the field ...

One guy getting in the opposition's face and who's not allowed to punch isn't very intimidating, but if there is 12 other guys backing him up it's a different story. We have plenty of aggression in the side, we just haven't had anyone pulling the right strings (looking at you dce)
Enter: Kieran Foran... the puppet master

One guy getting in the opposition's face and who's not allowed to punch isn't very intimidating, but if there is 12 other guys backing him up it's a different story. We have plenty of aggression in the side, we just haven't had anyone pulling the right strings (looking at you dce)
Enter: Kieran Foran... the puppet master

Agree ... intimidation and enforcing has never really been about the punch-up .. it has always manifested itself by an aggressive attitude in defence, the all in pack mentality you mentioned, but more importantly making it very clear to opponents that no mug act or dog shot will go unpunished or ignored ...

It todays game that can't be a punch or brawl ... but it can be every time the mug get's the ball he is hit every thing ... all game ..

It will take some time to get him on the field, however I think that Zac Saddler will be our next scary monster.

You can tell his intention by the look in his eyes, something that maturity will have to control, so not maybe 2021, but beyond.

Should get some short spells though as part of his education.
I really want to see him in our 17 every single week, him and keppie in the same side would be excellent!

Everything you said is spot on ... but over the years I have noticed that the one thing that discourages an entire team from playing fast footy and backing each other up ... is being sat on their arrses by a few bone rattlers ...

In the Grandfinal, the Melb forwards were aggressive and got off the line and in Penrith's faces .... adjusts a lot of attitudes ..becomes a matter of who blinks first ..
Completely agree woodsie. Tis why JWH has been the most influential player come gf's in recent times.
Like U say it's who blinks first. If we don't have an Alpha leader, Man will just have to endure a couple of hits and give 500 back. Merry Xmas and up the Eagles:)

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6