No 1 position we need to fill for 2024

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

What is the #1 position we need to fill for 2024

• A killer Prop

Votes: 41 40.2%
  • Top class Hooker

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • 2nd Rower

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Halves

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Centre

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Winger

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Fullback

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Lock

Votes: 16 15.7%

• Total voters
I think the mentality of "we need a player in x,y,z positions" misses the point a little bit. Look at the Panthers... Their entire team runs hard on every play, there are always bodies in motion, they find their front quickly when tackled, they tackle as a pack, and they don't fatigue.

To me that is a whole-of-team change from where we are at the moment. Obviously it's not as simple as telling the team to just do what Penrith does, because otherwise everyone would be doing it.

That being said, compared to Penrith we don't have:
Forwards who run hard, with good leg speed, are mobile, and can ball-play. Penrith have a lot of them, we have a few who might meet some of these criteria.
A winger who is quick, a good finisher and a battering ram all in one
A fullback that currently plays consistent high-intensity football in attack and defense (due to injuries)

Funnily enough, I looked carefully at the Penrith hooker Mitch Kenny and you'd hardly notice him. He pretty much does the Matt Ballin role of picking up the ball, passing it, and making his tackles. He hardly runs, doesn't kick and doesn't do much to engage the markers... but the speed of the play-the-ball and the Penrith structure means that he always has an option to pass to. Croker and GCKT will be just fine for us in this regard.

I think the mentality of "we need a player in x,y,z positions" misses the point a little bit. Look at the Panthers... Their entire team runs hard on every play, there are always bodies in motion, they find their front quickly when tackled, they tackle as a pack, and they don't fatigue.

To me that is a whole-of-team change from where we are at the moment. Obviously it's not as simple as telling the team to just do what Penrith does, because otherwise everyone would be doing it.

Forwards who run hard, with good leg speed, are mobile, and can ball-play. Penrith have a lot of them, we have a few who might meet some of these criteria.
A fullback that currently plays consistent high-intensity football in attack and defense (due to injuries)

Funnily enough, I looked carefully at the Penrith hooker Mitch Kenny and you'd hardly notice him. He pretty much does the Matt Ballin role of picking up the ball, passing it, and making his tackles. He hardly runs, doesn't kick and doesn't do much to engage the markers... but the speed of the play-the-ball and the Penrith structure means that he always has an option to pass to. Croker and GCKT will be just fine for us in this regard.
Fair points. Although I will highlight the difference between a team like Penrith and Manly.
A team like Penrith with a unlimited conveyer belt of talent will mean that they have all positions covered with good juniors, whereas a team like Manly has always had a blend of locals coupled with some outsiders with premiership winning experience because the talent pool of juniors in Manly is no match for a catchment size like the Panthers. Croker and GCKT would not even make the NSW Cup reserves team in Penrith. Penrith has no need of recruiting outsiders with premiership winning experience to win a comp, whereas Manly does. Manly currently recruit outsiders, but without any of the premiership experience quality. All Manly needs is at least 1 outsider with that sort of pedigree and we have none.
For example I would have thrown everything and the kitchen sink for Scotty Sorenson over a Luke Brooks. When the game is on the line, would you rather Luke Brooks or Scotty Sorenson to be the wise head to steady the ship.

We seem to be letting forwards go but not signing any new forwards. No depth.

Now that Keppie is gone, we really need one or two excellent props asap.

Our 8-17 is definitely our weakness, and getting worse by the day with players leaving. Should have kept Sam Fainu. Jake isn't a lock, and should play prop, but that means we are a starting backrower and lock short in the top 13 (if you don't include Schuster, who needs a lot of fine tuning). If we are filling them up with fringe players like Burbo, Matterson, we are already behind the eight ball.

We need quality forwards to bridge the gap between us and the actual contenders.

I just hope we don't have to once again play a raft of players out of position yet again because of poor roster balance.

A standard setter, an arse kicker , a dummy spitter. someone who is not comfortable with losing and is prepared tell our most senior players off when they set the bar too low

Ideally a prop but definately a forward

our team seems content with having a crack, but equally content with settling that the opposition had a better crack, or it wasnt our day. we fall short on too many 1percenters. and seem content with that also

ennis on the coaching staff may help but our comfort zone needs a shake up from a hard bastard because we are not good enough in so many basics that dont take skill, just attitude

or a game manager

both GF sides had game managers, coincidence ? and kickers that kick in the ad line, and as a result have lots of kicks that are contested. we do neither well enough losing ground, momentum and ultimately presenting a kicking game that is defensive only and lacks attacking options regularly, regardless of our trick shot approach and odd try assist that looks sweet

My choice isn't listed, we need a decent accountant, someone who can work the same magic as the roosters accountant.
Add to that person; a true " motivational coach ". I cannot see Werner von Siebert getting any one excited or motivated to win at all cost!

OK, add another game day coach if you must, as long as they can get into the minds of our players and make them tick more than 60 to the minute.

I am assuming Jacob Sykes is a plodder?
I mean, he's not a plodder, but he's been challenging Condon, Boyle, Fulton & others for a starting spot in NSW Cup.

Is he the player that helps us narrow the gap in intensity, quality and talent between our forward pack, and the Panthers ? Jacob Sykes that is?

You tell me, mate. If your answer is yep, let's bring him in.

This is true to an extent but even the Panthers look ordinary without Fisher Harris and Leota on the park.

I mean, he's not a plodder, but he's been challenging Condon, Boyle, Fulton & others for a starting spot in NSW Cup.

Is he the player that helps us narrow the gap in intensity, quality and talent between our forward pack, and the Panthers ? Jacob Sykes that is?

You tell me, mate. If your answer is yep, let's bring him in.

No idea. Hence my question.

Sykes overall game stayed fairly static this season after some expectation that he may have been able to come on a bit better .
Still a good work ethic but a bit like Zac Fulton , just needs that that additional game impact to progress to a better level .
Though probably not helping Zac 's development spending some time in the centres this season , would normally expect that different type of on field experience to assist his overall game .
Dias seems to go well in patches but maybe the expectation is that James will be able to provide some more immediate depth and back up factor to the main squad prop grouping .
Just hope naturally that once Lodge is available again , does not take too long to hit his straps again and can fare so much better on the injury front .

Sykes overall game stayed fairly static this season after some expectation that he may have been able to come on a bit better .
Still a good work ethic but a bit like Zac Fulton , just needs that that additional game impact to progress to a better level .
Though probably not helping Zac 's development spending some time in the centres this season , would normally expect that different type of on field experience to assist his overall game .
Dias seems to go well in patches but maybe the expectation is that James will be able to provide some more immediate depth and back up factor to the main squad prop grouping .
Just hope naturally that once Lodge is available again , does not take too long to hit his straps again and can fare so much better on the injury front .
Accurate summary as usual Al 💯

we need to buy connor watson who's off contract from the roosters for the 2024 season. Manly usually dominate first 20 then start to fatigued due to our slow leg speed in the middle leading to poor discipline in penalties, errors, field position and tries. Watson can play the dylan walker role of coming off the bench after 20 mins after we have won the middle battle and play as lock push Jake to front row. This will increase our leg speed in the middle of the park. Previously Watson took a pay cut for around 300k at the roosters so Manly should be able to pick him up for maximum 400k. He can also cover halves and backs if there any injury in game. Now to get money for him as we are pretty tight at the moment may mean letting someone like Aloiai go. I'm sure the dogs would pick him up as starting lock are front row as at Manly when we full strength he doesn't even make bench. Or even Schuster if Manly staff have no faith he can go to any club for half his price at 400k and we will start Ben at second row.

Fully fit starting pack would be ;
8. Paseka
9. Croker
10. Lodge
11. Olaka'ata
12. Schuster
13. Jake

14. Gordy
15. Sipley
16. Bullemor
17. Connor Watson

Middle forward cover;
Aloiai
Navale
James

Edge cover
Burbo
Parker

Utility cover
Matterson

To re-cap - the club has re-invested in Ethan Bullemor (Sea Eagles re-sign forward Ethan Bullemor), and signed Aitasi James (Sea Eagles secure young prop Aitasi James for next two years).

Toff Sipley - contracted till 2025
Josh Aloiai - contracted till 2025
Taniela Paseka - contracted till 2026

Sean Keppie was contracted till 2026, now apparently going to the Bunnies.

Morgan Boyle - his contract runs out this year, no news (as yet) of any renewal.
Aaron Woods - his contract runs out this year, no news (as yet) of any renewal.
Samuela Fainu - going to the Tigers.

Matthew Lodge - rumors of a contract for next year.

Our initial top 30 for this year contained Bullemor, Sipley, Aloiai, Paseka, Keppie, Boyle & S Fainu as props (Woods added in April s part of a player swap, and Lodge added in July on a trail and trial deal). This suggests that the Club is comfortable having 7 props making up the 16 or so total spots reserved for forwards.

If we assume that 5 props are locked-in (Sipley, Bullemor, James, Aloiai, and Paseka), and another is likely (Lodge) we have 6 of the 7 - assuming of course that Boyle and Woods will not be part of the club next year.

Of the latter two, Boyle and Woods, perhaps only Woods may get another year; possibly as cheap back-up and and for Luke Brooks to have a ready-made 'mate' at the club to help him get acquainted with his new club. Though - he dosn't need to take up a roster spot to do that.

In a full NRL season, it's same to assume that half your prop forwards are off the field injured - at least that's what we've been presented with in recent years. Seven props may be on the lean side - maybe 8 is needed, with versatility to play other positions.

All of that said - we could do with a young tearaway, vety mobile, middle forward with something to prove, who can cover both lock and prop. Josh Curran, perhaps?

To re-cap - the club has re-invested in Ethan Bullemor (Sea Eagles re-sign forward Ethan Bullemor), and signed Aitasi James (Sea Eagles secure young prop Aitasi James for next two years).

Toff Sipley - contracted till 2025
Josh Aloiai - contracted till 2025
Taniela Paseka - contracted till 2026

Sean Keppie was contracted till 2026, now apparently going to the Bunnies.

Morgan Boyle - his contract runs out this year, no news (as yet) of any renewal.
Aaron Woods - his contract runs out this year, no news (as yet) of any renewal.
Samuela Fainu - going to the Tigers.

Matthew Lodge - rumors of a contract for next year.

Our initial top 30 for this year contained Bullemor, Sipley, Aloiai, Paseka, Keppie, Boyle & S Fainu as props (Woods added in April s part of a player swap, and Lodge added in July on a trail and trial deal). This suggests that the Club is comfortable having 7 props making up the 16 or so total spots reserved for forwards.

If we assume that 5 props are locked-in (Sipley, Bullemor, James, Aloiai, and Paseka), and another is likely (Lodge) we have 6 of the 7 - assuming of course that Boyle and Woods will not be part of the club next year.

Of the latter two, Boyle and Woods, perhaps only Woods may get another year; possibly as cheap back-up and and for Luke Brooks to have a ready-made 'mate' at the club to help him get acquainted with his new club. Though - he dosn't need to take up a roster spot to do that.

In a full NRL season, it's same to assume that half your prop forwards are off the field injured - at least that's what we've been presented with in recent years. Seven props may be on the lean side - maybe 8 is needed, with versatility to play other positions.

All of that said - we could do with a young tearaway, vety mobile, middle forward with something to prove, who can cover both lock and prop. Josh Curran, perhaps?

Curren is the man 100%. I’m thinking we are after Curren and he goes straight to starting lock. This pushes Jake to starting prop with Lodge to the bench for impact.
Jake fills the last prop spot making up the 7. I say as a safety net if we fail to land Curren or any other lock we keep Jake at 13 and Woods is on standby.

Backs have never been our problem.

Forwards, the lack hard working mongrels have been our issue ever since Watmough, Kite and Stewart stopped playing for Manly.

Jack is the only one that has their work ethic, however no mongrel and no leg speed/power.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8