Nick and the Sombrero

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The classic was when they signed Ian Shubert to look after contracts and he was the head Auditor of the NRL.....I think this is on par with Capone paying off the cops...

Yep that was just ****ing hilarious wasn’t it!!

Always the same line comes out from the Roosters.

We signed player X on the cheap but when he leaves they can afford players Y+Z because player X was on a million per-season.

I am related to an ex-player who played for them and he laughs about it, said they where all signed as reported but are looked after well in other ways (he won't say how but does with a grin on his face)
Like B'inglis with his fing boat

What a lot of people don't realise is that TPA's don't actually count to the salary cap. Only what the clubs themselves pay their players counts to it. And the clubs that can (such as the Chooks) will basically only pay their players the bare minimum that the NRL values them at with the rest, especially for the headliners, topped up with multiple TPA's. For example, Cronk is on $1m per year, but the Chooks would probably only pay him around $700-800k of that at best and its that money that is counted to the cap and not the full million. Same with Tedesco and his million per year

Plus there are various other ways that clubs like the Chooks can pay their players without it being noticed such as their relatives (parents etc) getting new cars from City Ford (that they never paid for or they buy at a greatly reduced cost) or putting bets made at Royal Sydney.

The worst thing that happened to the salary cap was the introduction of TPA's in player contracts, but it was seen as necessary. That allowed certain clubs to be able to offer higher contracts to the better players while still staying under the cap. And its the same clubs we see each year who sign the big name players and who dominate the competition. And the reason we have TPA's?? A legacy of the outrageous contracts that were given out by the ARL and Super League during the Super League War. Players and their managers wanted to keep earning the high $$$ they got during that time but couldn't under the re-introduced cap. A way had to be found because at the time especially, cashed up rugby union which had gone professional was able to offer that sort of money. Thus to prevent an exodus of players to either union or to Super League in England, we have TPA's.

The really dodgy part is that they published the total amount of TPAs per club and Roosters were only coming in around 200k, which was less than us

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/coup...s/news-story/e4646335311d42bfa339207a23a5180b

As has been suggested numerous times here at Silvertails, the current monetary cap needs to be replaced by a points system where by each player is rated at a certain amount of points and each team is capped at having a certain amount of total points. The player points could be reviewed and adjusted each year to suit their age, injury proneness\status, representative status etc.

As has been suggested numerous times here at Silvertails, the current monetary cap needs to be replaced by a points system where by each player is rated at a certain amount of points and each team is capped at having a certain amount of total points. The player points could be reviewed and adjusted each year to suit their age, injury proneness\status, representative status etc.

It’s the only really fair way to spread the talent.

The $$$$ system is well and truly ****ed these days.

My problem with the points system is that I don’t believe the NRL has the ability to apply it in a sensible and objective manner. It would probably involve Toddy sitting down with players having coffee and screw over manly again.

Contract values must be either made public or ratified with a signed agreement between the player and the NRL as to the true value including any fringe benefits and third party deals. Agents must be held accountable, be subjected to a registration process and involved in the contract declarations. If players earn anything not declared they should be immediately stood down, the agent losing registration and the club punished severely. Everyone needs to know where they stand and be held accountable.

I also like the idea of max contracts, veteran contracts and bonuses for developing players to be integrated into the system.

My problem with the points system is that I don’t believe the NRL has the ability to apply it in a sensible and objective manner. It would probably involve Toddy sitting down with players having coffee and screw over manly again.

Contract values must be either made public or ratified with a signed agreement between the player and the NRL as to the true value including any fringe benefits and third party deals. Agents must be held accountable, be subjected to a registration process and involved in the contract declarations. If players earn anything not declared they should be immediately stood down, the agent losing registration and the club punished severely. Everyone needs to know where they stand and be held accountable.

I also like the idea of max contracts, veteran contracts and bonuses for developing players to be integrated into the system.
Something needs to change , just not sure whilst the current mob are there that it ever will.

The salary cap is like everything else in the NRL, extremely convoluted and open to supposition.

Exactly. The NRL puts a minimum value on players, but the issue there is what they actually do value them at because it seems to be highly subjective (especially depending on the players and clubs involved). We all remember when the NRL rejected our $300k offer to Gifty because they said he was worth a minimum double that, then they went and allowed the Worms to sign Hayne for half a million when he had been on $1.2m at the Titans.

And with the roster at the Chooks, you really have to wonder if the NRL are allowing them to do similar which happened with Darren Lockyer at Brisbane when even as the best player in the game he was allegedly on only around $300k per year with around another million coming from TPA's (which are unlimited BTW) and Brisbane's under the table slush fund to keep certain players at the club (usually top Queenslander's).

The better solution would just be to abolish the cap. Let the market sort it out. It will favour the richer clubs but at least that would be transparent.
So a 5 team premiership.......Roosters, Eels, Storm, Broncos & Knights! The only teams with unlimited funds! Makes me laugh how the Eels after their cap drama & fine can afford to be buying all the so called marquee players & the Knights just seem to but who they want & still have room in their salary caps!

So a 5 team premiership.......Roosters, Eels, Storm, Broncos & Knights! The only teams with unlimited funds! Makes me laugh how the Eels after their cap drama & fine can afford to be buying all the so called marquee players & the Knights just seem to but who they want & still have room in their salary caps!
Exactly MADMAX. I hope no one tries to tell me again that it is a level playing field out there, because I will just shake my head and walk away, muttering the words, yeah right. Uncle Nick has invested a lot of money for his team to become the only team since the ponies to win the comp back to back. The NRL is corrupt and the favouritism towards certain teams and players is killing the game, well in my eye,s it is, its taking the enjoyment of watching the game away, but no one wants to do anything about it, no one has the b...s the to take it to Toddy and his team of burglars about it. But I will always support my team through the good times and the bad times, MANLY4LIFE, and hey,I wouldnt be surprised if the whole Dally M team of the year is all roosters players, now wouldnt that be a surprise lol. Thats my rant over.Have a good Sunday people.

Exactly MADMAX. I hope no one tries to tell me again that it is a level playing field out there, because I will just shake my head and walk away, muttering the words, yeah right. Uncle Nick has invested a lot of money for his team to become the only team since the ponies to win the comp back to back. The NRL is corrupt and the favouritism towards certain teams and players is killing the game, well in my eye,s it is, its taking the enjoyment of watching the game away, but no one wants to do anything about it, no one has the b...s the to take it to Toddy and his team of burglars about it. But I will always support my team through the good times and the bad times, MANLY4LIFE, and hey,I wouldnt be surprised if the whole Dally M team of the year is all roosters players, now wouldnt that be a surprise lol. Thats my rant over.Have a good Sunday people.

I won’t bother watching the Dally M’s it’ll be another establishment stitch up for sure.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4