NEWS: Will Tom be Manly’s greatest ever?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
In the spirit of a YART, here's my top 10 manly legends, just for fun,
1. Fulton
2. Lyons
3. Menzies
4. Eadie
5. Tooves
6. Krilich
7. Randall
8. Lyon
9. Mossop
10. Stewart

No BK, suppose length of playing with us goes against him, but wow what impact he had.

And same for Mal Reillly, who I rate as our one of our two best ever.

So many things can happen before the word great can be assigned.

I remember a young Johnny Gibbs, who could turn a match in an instance. He could have been an all time great...still is one of our finest...but injury shortened his career. Then there was Phil Blake. His first full year, after winning Rookie of the Year in his half year before that, was even more spectacular than what we are seeing from Tom. 27 tries in a season. He seemed unstoppable. But he was creamed in the finals, lost confidence and Fulton lost confidence in him. We never saw the best of that young genius. I recall a young Max Krillich, who was doing remarkable things in reserves and was selected for a rep game while still in reserves. He is probably Manly's best ever hooker, but time wore him down.

So much depends on the resolve of the player and just plain luck. Same will happen with Tom and his brother Jake. Both could become greats, both could become brilliant players who either ended their career early through injury or left the club (heaven forbid). Only a few years ago many were suggesting Foran could be our best ever 5/8. All we can do is enjoy the moment and remember those moments.

Great post - and you wont read truer words here. Think of the injuries to a player like Nik Kosef, or if Brett Steward had not been injured those years head probably already have passed Irvine's record ... hopefully fate smiles on Tom and Jake. For now, enjoy the spectacle.

Tom Turbo has looked the goods since we all started watching him in the Under 20s at least one season ago. What he needs to work on is his defence. Wombat and Snake were two very good defenders and stopped many potential tries. I think this is the only weakness in Tom's game at the moment.

Tom Turbo has looked the goods since we all started watching him in the Under 20s at least one season ago. What he needs to work on is his defence. Wombat and Snake were two very good defenders and stopped many potential tries. I think this is the only weakness in Tom's game at the moment.

Ironically, coming through the U/20s system is probably the major reason Tom's defence is his weakness at the moment. Not a huge emphasis on defence in that comp, especially not in the backs.

Will Tom be better than Wombat or Snake? Maybe and only time will tell I guess.

All 3 are different players. Wombat was built like a front rower and ran like a centre. He was more the power type fullback who would crash through the defensive line rather than run around it. Snake was the classic support player with blistering speed in his early years who also developed into a classy ball player and like Wombat was a solid last line of defence. Tom is kinda like Snake in that he has speed (though not quite as quick IMO), he's a very good support player, and like Wombat he has the size and strength to break tackles. Tom's defence needs some work but its a lot better than it was this time last year so he is improving.

Provided he stays healthy there is every chance that Tom can go on to be every bit as good as Wombat and Snake were in their prime. But as said, only time will tell.

Some great posts in this thread. I rate the top 10 and the second 10.

If Tom even has 75 percent of the career Brett Stewart had at Manly then he will be in the top 10 as well. Words can't describe how good a player Brett Stewart was for Manly between 2004 and 2015.

Not sure if Tom will the greatest but I'm pretty sure the Turbos will win the battle of the Brother's with the Stewarts when Jake and Toms careers are over . May even be a statue of them at Brookie.
it's great to see 2 juniors at our club having such an impact. It means so much more than signing a Inglis or a thurston.

Talk like this is a bit premature. Let's just say the kid has a bright future. Lots of water to flow under the bridge, and two huge names in front of him, before we can start to consider that word starting with G.
All the best to him on his journey.

Talk like this is a bit premature. Let's just say the kid has a bright future. Lots of water to flow under the bridge, and two huge names in front of him, before we can start to consider that word starting with G.
All the best to him on his journey.

Agree.

The media love throwing these labels around.

Rafael Nadal was going to win the most open titles in record time, and tiger woods was going to have the most major titles ever by a few years ago.

But papers need selling (I guess.)

Blakey doesn't get the wraps he deserves. Defence wasn't great, but man could that boy play with ball in hand.
As for Tom, you would have to be blind to think he will not dominate rep teams for years barring injury. At 19, the amount of time and space he has is amazing. He is the real deal! Get out of the road snake, it's Turbo Time. He will score a hat trick today :clap::clap::clap:

Blakey doesn't get the wraps he deserves. Defence wasn't great, but man could that boy play with ball in hand.
As for Tom, you would have to be blind to think he will not dominate rep teams for years barring injury. At 19, the amount of time and space he has is amazing. He is the real deal! Get out of the road snake, it's Turbo Time. He will score a hat trick today :clap::clap::clap:
I hope so.

John Harvey, Ian Roberts, Dale Shearer, Kerry Boustead, Paul Vautin .... the list is bloody endless !!!

Provided Tom stays well he will be one of the best. He has all the attributes required minus a big head. I have not been as excited about a player since Bozo. Both Jake and Tom will play for NSW and ultimately Australia provided the national coach does not blind himself with interstate politics.

He made 5 mistakes last night, but I forgive him because he was in everything, so started to get fatigued, plus that head clash wouldn't have helped.

Tom T will fall short of our best fullback ever because by the time he is 25 he will be one of our best 2nd rower/locks in history.
That will be an interesting scenario. I remember watching him a 3 or 4 years ago now and thinking that he will turn into a monster. The question is whether his size is held back, as in they train him to target his fitness and agility, rather than bulk. He could decimate the edges if they do decide to make a switch and get him to put on another 10kgs.

I think he will well and truly stay in the 1 jersey for a few years yet (to see if he can do what Inglis couldn't).

Tom T will fall short of our best fullback ever because by the time he is 25 he will be one of our best 2nd rower/locks in history.

Interesting thought Woodsie. He'd be a lock in the Ron Coote/Steve Menzies style if that happened. Personally he is ideal at full back because he is so tall for bombs and is so devastating chiming into the backline. Just have to tie him up big time. I understand Rugby Union are making a big play for him, as well as other clubs but I think as long as Manly treat him right and offer a ball park figure, he'll stay as will Jake. If that speedster Tom Wright continues to develop and ends up initially on one wing, we'll have a devastating backline in the making.

At 194cm and 102kg at 19yo, to keep him competitive and agile in the backs will be a full on job. Both type of training and diet.

It will be a battle against genetics and I think genetics will win long term.
If he fills out naturally he looks like he would be a fit powerful 115-120kg's

As you know @Bearfax , every year the ground gets further away.

However I certainly wont be disappointed if he can continue as a brilliant fullback.

Mate he has way way to much skill to become a backrower. He will be fullback for the rest of his career.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8