News: What price NRL? - AFL TV rights finalised at $1.253 B

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Jono said:
I agree with everything you said DSM. Expansion is now a must. WA is now a must. CC is a no no. I would open up the NZ market more with a 2nd team there or put another team in Brisbane.

I would love us to get that much. Seven aren't out of it yet. Leckie is a League fan and he wants league as well. Its not going to happen but Seven will make bids to get Nine's price up a bit. Ten pulled out pretty suddenly so I'd say they will go after the NRL rights now. This should also push it upwards.

Its Gallop's fault from the lastt TV deal why we are so far behind. Because we are now almost 700 Million behind the AFL over 5 years (That's 140 Million a year, or 9-10 Million PER CLUB!!!) we have to try something different.

I think what this deal should be is 800 Million - 1 Billion for 4 years. What they get out of this is expansion into the Perth Market in 2013, expansion in Brisbane (or to Central Queensland or NZ) in 2014. What we get is 5 fold: 1) we get to choose who plays when, 2) we solidify the company under an independent Commission, 3) we get the new teams settled in and start building in their markets, 4) its enough time to axe Gallop so that he doesn't negotiate the next deal; and most importantly 5) We get the NRL in front of the AFL on the next negotiations. A new contract starting in 2017 would put us on par with the AFL. This would mean that all negotiations will happen together and we could attempt to get the jump on them. Even a 3 year deal so that our contract ends a year before there's means we could make sure they don't get as much on their next deal while we get $1.5 Billion.

I like bagging Gallop as much as the next man but you do realise how hamstrung he was in the last TV rights negotiations. To think anyone else could have altered the outcome under the same situation is fanciful.

The Gronk said:
This commission better get its arse into gear.

Agreed. But like all things in the NRL everything seems to take its sweet time and under the table. Why is the commission not running yet?

Jono said:
I agree with everything you said DSM. Expansion is now a must. WA is now a must. CC is a no no. I would open up the NZ market more with a 2nd team there or put another team in Brisbane.

I would love us to get that much. Seven aren't out of it yet. Leckie is a League fan and he wants league as well. Its not going to happen but Seven will make bids to get Nine's price up a bit. Ten pulled out pretty suddenly so I'd say they will go after the NRL rights now. This should also push it upwards.

Its Gallop's fault from the lastt TV deal why we are so far behind. Because we are now almost 700 Million behind the AFL over 5 years (That's 140 Million a year, or 9-10 Million PER CLUB!!!) we have to try something different.

I think what this deal should be is 800 Million - 1 Billion for 4 years. What they get out of this is expansion into the Perth Market in 2013, expansion in Brisbane (or to Central Queensland or NZ) in 2014. What we get is 5 fold: 1) we get to choose who plays when, 2) we solidify the company under an independent Commission, 3) we get the new teams settled in and start building in their markets, 4) its enough time to axe Gallop so that he doesn't negotiate the next deal; and most importantly 5) We get the NRL in front of the AFL on the next negotiations. A new contract starting in 2017 would put us on par with the AFL. This would mean that all negotiations will happen together and we could attempt to get the jump on them. Even a 3 year deal so that our contract ends a year before there's means we could make sure they don't get as much on their next deal while we get $1.5 Billion.

Ten pulled out because Packer's not an AFL fan. Heard on the grape vine that they will outlay $1 Billion for it.

So it looks like Nine will have to match atleast that.

Jethro said:
I hope that I'm wrong but I bet we don't get anything like that figure.

I disagree but time will tell. RL is fortunate in that it's an international sport. Foxtel will bid strong knowing that the content can be sold to overseas broadcasters or used on the fox/sky network everywhere in every country, which ultimately adds value. The better the value, the better the deal for the NRL.
Plus, Foxtel now has exclusivity fot EVERY major sport eg NRL, A League, Super rugby, and now, AFL.
They will do/pay whatever it takes to ensure they also hold the rights to the NRL.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
love to see Ten win the rights
ch9 deserve to fail
I heard yesterday that youtube will start streaming movies, could be another avenue for league to pursue as well

WAMF said:
Foxtel will bid strong knowing that the content can be sold to overseas broadcasters or used on the fox/sky network everywhere in every country, which ultimately adds value.

I disagree with this, my understanding is Foxtel could only buy the Australian TV rights.

If any of the other News Ltd. overseas networks wishes to show the NRL overseas then they would need to pay the NRL for the rights in their respective areas, as I believe happens now.

I don't know about 10's real intentions in these negotiations. Am I the only one that thinks that Packer and Murdoch both took a stake in 10 so that they can manipulate these negotiations? After all they have a bigger stake in Foxtel.

Gorgeous George said:
I don't know about 10's real intentions in these negotiations. Am I the only one that thinks that Packer and Murdoch both took a stake in 10 so that they can manipulate these negotiations?

Your not alone there. Not by a long shot.

Interesting to see how Packer fled from the board so soon after he & Lachlan elbowed their way in. Might well be some friction between them over that im fairly sure.

Packer is NOT a Goose, and he didn't buy TEN because it was a good deal, he bought because they will bid big and strong for the NRL.

I'd say 10 (and One HD) plus Foxtel will pay One Billion plus for the rights, with Chan 9 "maybe" getting a game the others on sell that they can't show live.

Don't forget Chan 9 just about sold the family jewels for the Olympic's and there's no unlimited Packer money there now.

BUT exceeding 1.253 Billion won't happen, we just are NOT national enough...despite our name.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Packer is NOT a Goose, and he didn't buy TEN because it was a good deal, he bought because they will bid big and strong for the NRL.

I'd say 10 (and One HD) plus Foxtel will pay One Billion plus for the rights, with Chan 9 "maybe" getting a game the others on sell that they can't show live.

Don't forget Chan 9 just about sold the family jewels for the Olympic's and there's no unlimited Packer money there now.

BUT exceeding 1.253 Billion won't happen, we just are NOT national enough...despite our name.

Easy way to fix that...Western Reds!!!

The reality is that we should get similar as long as we add 2 more teams to the comp and one of those teams is Perth. The AFL may well have Adelaide, but we have the bigger market of NZ as well as Canberra, Newcastle & Nth Qld. The simple fact is that we would then have 9 games a weekend as does the AFL, we would be represented in every major market plus NZ and others and we already outrate the AFL in the top 100 programs and are about equal overall.

If we achieve less than the AFL then one D Gallup will get a fail from me.

Brookie4eva said:
WAMF said:
Foxtel will bid strong knowing that the content can be sold to overseas broadcasters or used on the fox/sky network everywhere in every country, which ultimately adds value.

I disagree with this, my understanding is Foxtel could only buy the Australian TV rights.

If any of the other News Ltd. overseas networks wishes to show the NRL overseas then they would need to pay the NRL for the rights in their respective areas, as I believe happens now.

The NRL don't film or commentate on the games. This aspect which is obviously outside the contract for the rights, costs Foxtel big money every single broadcast game. Foxtel don't put all their money into a project like this so that the NRL can then sell and profit from that work overseas.

Actually one of the best answers going around and it may actually pay for the nrl to produce the shows and sell the product

Out of all if it I hope the NRL ends up with the same structure the AFL got: Fox gets all games live, Free to air four and telstra will be streaming all games live via the web.

No more delayed games, between Fox and Telsra everything is live.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7