News: What price NRL? - AFL TV rights finalised at $1.253 B

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The advantage of having the AFL deal finalised first is that now the NRL knows what to beat.

Over to you Gallop ............ :dodgy:

That is huge.

The news down here was that they were hoping to crack $1B. They've well exceeded that.

The next deal is basically make or break for rugby league I think.

I hope that I'm wrong but I bet we don't get anything like that figure.

Jethro said:
I hope that I'm wrong but I bet we don't get anything like that figure.

I, and I'm sure most, agree with you.
If we're right, it's an indication of how poor & conflicted the games current administration really is.
Given that the RL now outrates the AFL on TV, there's no other conclusion to draw than either the next deal will be bigger than the AFL one or that the NRL is corrupt.

So 10 isn't involved anymore? That could be good, NRL to 10/One HD! Dedicated sports channel, i'd be happy with a free live game each day (Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon if it stays) and Fox can show the others (live).

The IC needs to get up and running soon to work out a way to get maximum dollars.

I've really had it with Ch9. Ray Warren is so bad these days. I swore Gus was doing better the first couple of games i saw this year, but then on Sunday it went back to the old crap.

If it stays on 9 for less dollars than AFL then it'll be easy to guess why it went down the drain

eggson said:
So 10 isn't involved anymore? That could be good, NRL to 10/One HD! Dedicated sports channel, i'd be happy with a free live game each day (Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon if it stays) and Fox can show the others (live).

The IC needs to get up and running soon to work out a way to get maximum dollars.

I've really had it with Ch9. Ray Warren is so bad these days. I swore Gus was doing better the first couple of games i saw this year, but then on Sunday it went back to the old crap.

If it stays on 9 for less dollars than AFL then it'll be easy to guess why it went down the drain

Mate both 9 and one HD are ****. I watch other sports on One HD and they are bloody terrible, sometimes even only showing half a broadcast!!! Channel 7 would have been the best bet but AFL have snagged them already :( My only hope is that Foxtel will have a similar deal as the AFL and will show all live games.

IMO One HD does a great job with the netball. Plenty of extras & analysis too. If they do that for netball, what would they do for NRL?

One good thing about their deal is it puts the addition of the team from the CC to the sword. The NRL will have to have a team in Perth and another in Qld to get the best dollar outcome out of the media giants. Say goodnight Bears. Good riddance.

DSM5 said:
One good thing about their deal is it puts the addition of the team from the CC to the sword. The NRL will have to have a team in Perth and another in Qld to get the best dollar outcome out of the media giants. Say goodnight Bears. Good riddance.

Your a champion. A true blue champion :heart:

DSM5 said:
It's you're. I don't get the comment.

I agree whole heartedly about what you said here. I disagree whole heartedly with what you said in the other thread.

The game would be much better for a team in WA.

DSM5 - agree that the name of the game is now all about expansion but it yet to be seen where the new teams would come from. Sure, another qld team looks like a sure thing, but the other team can come from nz, cc, wa or sa. CC may get the gig as a nsw/qld compromise.

Roy Masters was on talkin sport the other arvo , and said his sources were saying that 7 was after the rugby league right or wrong ,and that 9 could not afford to lose it as they would have nothing that would rate , maybe Stokes is going to try and force 9 to go real big with their 1st and last options , and in doing so empty the 9 money bag for any other tv shows plus 10 are sitting in the wings ,me i am tipping 9 and 10 to go together for a bid

DSM5 said:
Agree DSM. Thankyou Demetriou - he'll f-ck you in the drive-through...

The imperative for a truly national competition is more evident than ever.

Bringing the Bears back doesn't really help the bottom line at contract negotiation time.

Imagine if a spin off from a new TV deal is that we no longer have to put up with Rabbits and No No No No No carrying on their peurile married with children routine every time we want to watch a match on free to air.

DSM5 said:
It's you're. I don't get the comment.

Can't believe we have come full circle to DSM correcting people's grammar.

WA is the only way to go to open up another time slot. NZ might be ok, too. A big no no to the bears though.

I agree with everything you said DSM. Expansion is now a must. WA is now a must. CC is a no no. I would open up the NZ market more with a 2nd team there or put another team in Brisbane.

I would love us to get that much. Seven aren't out of it yet. Leckie is a League fan and he wants league as well. Its not going to happen but Seven will make bids to get Nine's price up a bit. Ten pulled out pretty suddenly so I'd say they will go after the NRL rights now. This should also push it upwards.

Its Gallop's fault from the lastt TV deal why we are so far behind. Because we are now almost 700 Million behind the AFL over 5 years (That's 140 Million a year, or 9-10 Million PER CLUB!!!) we have to try something different.

I think what this deal should be is 800 Million - 1 Billion for 4 years. What they get out of this is expansion into the Perth Market in 2013, expansion in Brisbane (or to Central Queensland or NZ) in 2014. What we get is 5 fold: 1) we get to choose who plays when, 2) we solidify the company under an independent Commission, 3) we get the new teams settled in and start building in their markets, 4) its enough time to axe Gallop so that he doesn't negotiate the next deal; and most importantly 5) We get the NRL in front of the AFL on the next negotiations. A new contract starting in 2017 would put us on par with the AFL. This would mean that all negotiations will happen together and we could attempt to get the jump on them. Even a 3 year deal so that our contract ends a year before there's means we could make sure they don't get as much on their next deal while we get $1.5 Billion.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4