News: Trent's bad luck is Coast's gain

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
ERNIE FOR NO7 link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=182592.msg254111#msg254111 date=1268343188]
Ryan, Hargraves took off for cash, no other reason.
That is BS , Jared was offered by the same amount as GALUVAO got.
[/quote]

I think the roosters offer to JWH was a lot higher than what Gulavoa's on.

This is one of those funny circular topics. Best line so far, 'it must be true because someone's mum said so', lol.
I can see the point of not throwing Hoddo in first up, I have always thought he might be half by year's end but if the team has a chance to get some form going with a more safety first style (such as got the Dragons home last night) then it would mean a lot less pressure on the kid when he does come in.

The argument about young players not given a chance is BS. Pretty sure JWH was taken to England with the WCC squad and was always going to get a chance last year. And he did, and he took it, and got chosen for NZ and a big $ offer. Des record is that he waits till someone can not simply survive at NRL level but actually add somtething to the team, then he won't hesitate to chuck them in. eg Glen, also David Williams, both become Test players in their first full season.

Des is criticized for being 'risk averse' and failure to experiment. Others call the same thing blooding youngsters and bringing them on steadily and showing loyalty to his players. (First graders tend to like that and show loyalty to the coach in return).

Glenn Stewart was slow to play first grade but he hasn't disappointed since then. I am not sure that Des has made too many mistakes over the years.

Are there seriously guys on this site who are advocating their current bosses replace them for an up-and-comer in their workplace who has potential, just so he can stay with the company? Or do they have to earn their 'spurs' and justify their inclusion?

How many players have left Manly of late and gone on to be superstars elsewhere??? My mind is that Des has the best information and is in the best position to make the call. He has one premiership under his belt.

Whilst my personal view is that Hodkinson might be a star and that his kicking game will guarantee us good field position, maybe Des is picking the best 13 and playing to the team's strengths.

Canteen Worker link said:
How many players have left Manly of late and gone on to be superstars elsewhere??? My mind is that Des has the best information and is in the best position to make the call. He has one premiership under his belt.

Spot on mate.

Des is criticized for being 'risk averse' and failure to experiment. Others call the same thing blooding youngsters and bringing them on steadily and showing loyalty to his players. (First graders tend to like that and show loyalty to the coach in return).

Glenn Stewart was slow to play first grade but he hasn't disappointed since then. I am not sure that Des has made too many mistakes over the years.

Are there seriously guys on this site who are advocating their current bosses replace them for an up-and-comer in their workplace who has potential, just so he can stay with the company? Or do they have to earn their 'spurs' and justify their inclusion?

Whilst my personal view is that Hodkinson might be a star and that his kicking game will guarantee us good field position, maybe Des is picking the best 13 and playing to the team's strengths.

As much as i would love to see the 2 youngsters, and see how they go, I think you have hit the nail on the head there CW.

Went to watch the local team, Wynnum play today and you wouldn't believe the result a Nil all draw  :eek: . It was a high quality match and said to my mate has this ever happen before he can only think of once in the 80's.

But the most important result Sunshine Coast beat Northern Pride 16 - 6 with Trent killing it.

ERNIE FOR NO7 link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=182592.msg254111#msg254111 date=1268343188]
Ryan, Hargraves took off for cash, no other reason.
That is BS , Jared was offered by the same amount as GALUVAO got.
[/quote]

So the Roosters offered more and JWH chased the cash then, which is Clon's point

You can tell you're a Baby Boomer.  In some places, particularly the public service, there's no doubt getting rid of some of the dead wood at the top of the tree and allowing the energetic and risk-taking fellows to take precedence would be no bad thing.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=182592.msg254260#msg254260 date=1268450026]

You can tell you're a Baby Boomer.  In some places, particularly the public service, there's no doubt getting rid of some of the dead wood at the top of the tree and allowing the energetic and risk-taking fellows to take precedence would be no bad thing.
[/quote]

If my boss had his way he would have willow as halfback, kicker, goal kicker et al.

I am all for replacing something if performances are justified but not just on potential. JWH played well in the 20s last year but underwhelmed in the Seniors in his first four or five games. Rightly he only played top grade when we had injuries. He might be a star in the future, but he did nothing to deserve keeping Kite or co in Reserve grade.

So we've shifted a fellow who has proved world-leading in one position sideways into one he;s reluctant to fulfill (Lyon).  And shifted a fellow who showed promise in that position last year into a position he has little or no experience in (Foran).  In doing so, weakening one position to strengthen another, twice over.

And the fellow bought in to cover the world leader is a fellow who was sacked last year. 

Does this result in a balanced team structure?

really well put.. I feel the same way, and am trying to trust des, but it's not making sense in ny head atm. Hopefully I'll watch it all come together really well tonight!

Matabele link said:
So we've shifted a fellow who has proved world-leading in one position sideways into one he;s reluctant to fulfill (Lyon).  And shifted a fellow who showed promise in that position last year into a position he has little or no experience in (Foran).  In doing so, weakening one position to strengthen another, twice over.

And the fellow bought in to cover the world leader is a fellow who was sacked last year. 

The world leader in 1 position is also a Premiership winner in the other position, and when it suited the argument most were quite happy to say that he was the main reason we won the comp, not Orford, so there is some track record there at the highest level.

For all we know, Foran may be the stronger halfback of he and Hodkinson as well and we MAY have the best option playing there as well, hard to judge as at most people have seen Hodkinson play 5-6 games at a level far below NRL. Personally I think Foran will benefit from sticking to 1 role, rather than the centre / 5/8 role he filled last season

Matabele link said:
So we've shifted a fellow who has proved world-leading in one position sideways into one he;s reluctant to fulfill (Lyon). 

Since when has Lyon stated he was reluctant to play five-eigth?
I've never seen him come out and publicly say that his preferred position is centre.

Also good point Kiwi Eagle, Foran may well be the overall better option at halfback from the squad of players.

Personally i think it's the most safe and experienced team we could field.
St George beat Parramatta by playing it safe on Friday night.

Matabele link said:

what r your motives for being so negative all the time?
yr always taking the piss out of dezzies line up.
u sound like a parra fan.
this is a supporters site as you should know being a moderator.so how about a bit of support...
how did you become a moderator anyway???
not cos of your love for the team anyway,
it sounds like you don't want them to win

go manly

not long now boys and girls

I can't be fussed talking about it till after tonight's game. Mata could be right - he thinks he is!!! 

All I am saying is that the coach is often in the best position to makes the call. Surprisingly he probably wants to win the game as much as the fans!!!

If it doesn't work out, my guess is that he will make changes! Last time I checked the comp was 26 weeks and then 4 weeks of play-offs.

different stroke's for diffident folks i guess,
the parra fan comment was a bit much... sorry no manly far should b compared th them

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4