News: Sins of the Father

RE: Sins of the Father

DSM5 said:
For those interested, and who may not have been on this site at the time, the daily court proceedings can be seen, if one looks, still posted on the site.

http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-Stewart-Case-updates-no-speculation-please

Jatz Crackers said:
bob dylan said:
Funny how some are happy to believe a telegraph article when I suits them.

Strange world indeed.

I for one won't be reading it, sounds like its more dribble.

One of the most ridiculously stupid posts ive ever read on this site.

Are you so busy trying to score a point against some on here who might over react when a newspaper writes a negative story on Manly or just blinded to the overwhelming facts surrounding the Stewart case, supporting his innocence ?

During the case there were many posts from Bob that were, well, less than supportive of Brett. I don't what his agenda was then and I sure don't know what it is now. :blush:

Rotten To The Core IS Rebecca Wilson!

Her piece is opinion but Mark Whitaker's is factual!

One is a gutter journo and the other is a credible journo!

voicefromthehill said:
My football hating wife just read the article. She always thought Snake did something …

This is the major problem for Brett. Mud sticks. There are otherwise intelligent people in our community (I spoke with one this morning) who take the view that they will always side with a girl who alleges sexual assault over a male who denies it. For various reasons. Absurd? Yes. Unjust? Yes. Illogical? Yes, yes, and yes. Nonetheless, that prejudice is what Stewart is up against.

As C & C and others have said, a lot of his dilemma is simply that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Given the scrutiny the police and DPP were under following their handling of the Coffs affair, this prosecution always had to proceed, and that meant it had to go to trial (despite what some think).

However, quite aside from the travails of the legal process, Brett Stewart's position was made infinitely worse - and remains so - due to the reaction of so-called leaders within the game – Gallop and also people like Fatty Vautin - and the appalling actions of an unscrupulous section of the media. They have so much to answer for.

I am leaving today's article lying (pun intended) around the house in the hope it will be read, and that reading it may open certain people's eyes.

Phantar said:
The 'day in court' thing was aired at the time Slide.

Phantar, yep, I recognise that & it seemed as though there was much more to the story than was told then. At this point a whole lot more digging has happened & things are at the point where more of the context is allowed to be told. A very long wait for the Stewarts. "Lisa's" book sounds interesting yet disturbing.

DSM5 said: "the case should never had proceeded past the committal hearing. Brett must have spent half a million defending this crap, with no recompense. I'm sure he would have liked the case dismissed earlier. As I noted at the time, the case seemed so flimsy, the DPP and cops must have had another agenda."

DSM5, I know you were there everyday and have a far better vantage point to make comment from than most of us. That's an interesting conclusion you have come to.

RE: Todays Good Weekend

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Sins of the father
June 16, 2012

On one occasion he called the police saying this guy who had come to his house had pulled out a shotgun. That wasn't true. This poor guy got frickin' arrested. Absolutely crazy."

They showed Nero lying on his stomach with his pants down, a bright green feather sticking out his backside and Angus's daughters, then seven and five, drawing pictures on his naked rear.

Angus took the pictures straight to police. "The children were removed within the hour,".

Angus's daughters see their mother and Nero once a month. They choose to believe the con man over their father. They tell Angus to stop sending Mummy letters, stop stalking Daddy Raphaele and stop stealing his money.
The police call Angus from time to time, going through the motions.
"Angus, have you broken into the house?"
"No."
"Good. Thank you. Goodbye."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/sins-of-the-father-20120611-204wg.html#ixzz1xuWJG3PT

These were the highlights for me, so the cops knew the caliber of the person they were dealing with but still went ahead with the case against Brett.

It's amazing how many non Manly people still believe he's guilty as sin. The trouble is that 99.9 per cent of those people won't read this and thats bloody sad,

RE: Todays Good Weekend

Utility Player said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
Sins of the father
June 16, 2012

On one occasion he called the police saying this guy who had come to his house had pulled out a shotgun. That wasn't true. This poor guy got frickin' arrested. Absolutely crazy."

They showed Nero lying on his stomach with his pants down, a bright green feather sticking out his backside and Angus's daughters, then seven and five, drawing pictures on his naked rear.

Angus took the pictures straight to police. "The children were removed within the hour,".

Angus's daughters see their mother and Nero once a month. They choose to believe the con man over their father. They tell Angus to stop sending Mummy letters, stop stalking Daddy Raphaele and stop stealing his money.
The police call Angus from time to time, going through the motions.
"Angus, have you broken into the house?"
"No."
"Good. Thank you. Goodbye."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/sins-of-the-father-20120611-204wg.html#ixzz1xuWJG3PT

These were the highlights for me, so the cops knew the caliber of the person they were dealing with but still went ahead with the case against Brett.

This is true but ask yourself if your daughter was in the care of this Nero character and had made the allegation would you want the police to disregard it on the basis of her - father/stepfather/whoever is bonking your ex-wife, being a goose?

The police surely had flimsy evidence and it took untold financial and personal costs upon Brett Stewart, but they were doing their job. How it came to court is another matter.

As Slide pointed out it may have been best for Brett Stewart that he was found not guilty in a court of law. Look at the way some of you post on here knowing just as little about the Bulldogs in Coffs Harbour, yet screaming that they covered it up and were therefore all guilty.

Top End Eagle, no-one here would suggest that allegations of sexual assault should be ignored, however this Nero character was just not a 'goose',as you describe, he is/was is a scheming crazy. The cops did their job, attended the scene and took Brett to the Police Station. It seems that there the situation got out of control. It seems to me that a lead detective got it in his head that someone had to go down..... for something. Whether the DPP got into the act then, who knows, but the Police brief was sent to them and they decided. for whatever reasons (Coffs, Bondi, whatever), to kick it along.
Eggson, by sending this matter from committal to full trial cost Brett close to half a million dollars. The fact is that with 'proceedings on indictment', the Common Law rule is that the Crown does not pay costs. This is contentious and currently being looked at by Law Review bodies, but will not change any time soon.

Phantar said:
No doubt we will be seeing 'mea culpas' from Peter Fitzsimons, Jacqueline Magnay, Paul Kent, Michael Duffy, Spiro Zavos, Rebecca Wilson and David Penberthy very shortly.

What am I saying? No we won't.

In a way it's good that Brett and his management didn't co-operate. They can't be accused of putting their own spin on it.

Where's the Technical Coach?

Still here.

Read my comments again----my view point had zero to do with the charges---i have stated many times in here and in private that i never thought for once Brett was guilty of the charges and that it should never have reached court fullstop.

My main annoyance before and during the trial was in relation to one eyed supporters and their one eyed support under the guise of "innocent until proven guilty" mantra when really that was not their honest reasoning.

I have no doubts over the outcome but i have my doubts over both parties view of events so will always keep an open view until otherwise.

DSM5 said:
Bob, it's reasonably interesting reading, and it's in Fairfax not News ltd.. I met the woman, sister of the 'Nero' guy's partner, during the case and she told me of the weirdness of this guy. How she's written a book detailing his sordid life and the manipulation of those around him (probably the basis of this article). I watched him during the court case screaming out accusations of harassment of those in court. Total basket case. I have to agree with Slide, he should be investigated for what he's alleged to be doing with those kids, although Slide, the case should never had proceeded past the committal hearing. Brett must have spent half a million defending this crap, with no recompense. I'm sure he would have liked the case dismissed earlier. As I noted at the time, the case seemed so flimsy, the DPP and cops must have had another agenda.

Thanks DSM5, I enjoyed your reports from the court case and agree with all you say.

My mistake re Goodweekend being in the Tele.

The man is pure scum and I am even more in disbelief that this went to court. The Prosecution should really be ashamed of themselves, total lack of professionalism.

Don't forget this individual prolonged the agony by delaying the trial by "being overseas" at vital times.

The real News story here is about News Ltd.

In my eyes News Ltd were unambiguously the force that manufactured and fueled the rape story. They were the ones who turned unsubstantiated allegations from a con-man source into public perception of fact.

News Ltd HAD to know the con artist's history. They had to know he was a known liar and convicted conman. Yet they printed his words and portrayed it as the truth. They had to know the damage their actions would cause to Brett Stewart. And they did it anyway.

In my eyes those who choose to associate themselves with News Ltd are directly associating themselves with the scum of the earth.

And I remember that every time I read ANYTHING said by the likes of Rothfield, Kent, Gallop and Wilson. And until Fatty makes amends, in my eyes he places himself in the same category as those lowlifes.

Rex said:
The real News story here is about News Ltd.

In my eyes News Ltd were unambiguously the force that manufactured and fueled the rape story. They were the ones who turned unsubstantiated allegations from a con-man source into public perception of fact.

News Ltd HAD to know the con artist's history. They had to know he was a known liar and convicted conman. Yet they printed his words and portrayed it as the truth. They had to know the damage their actions would cause to Brett Stewart. And they did it anyway.

In my eyes those who choose to associate themselves with News Ltd are directly associating themselves with the scum of the earth.

And I remember that every time I read ANYTHING said by the likes of Rothfield, Kent, Gallop and Wilson. And until Fatty makes amends, in my eyes he places himself in the same category as those lowlifes.
It was also those grubs at news who were tipping to their mate and former colluege gallop to take some action.

Ralphie said:
Jatz Crackers said:
bob dylan said:
Funny how some are happy to believe a telegraph article when I suits them.

Strange world indeed.

I for one won't be reading it, sounds like its more dribble.

One of the most ridiculously stupid posts ive ever read on this site.

Are you so busy trying to score a point against some on here who might over react when a newspaper writes a negative story on Manly or just blinded to the overwhelming facts surrounding the Stewart case, supporting his innocence ?

During the case there were many posts from Bob that were, well, less than supportive of Brett. I don't what his agenda was then and I sure don't know what it is now. :blush:

Unfair, as I had no opinion on guilty or not.

Just the same as I have no opinion on that Corby woman or Lindy Chamberlain. I just dont have anywhere near enough info to form a decent opinion.

I can say this I dont support anyone that assaults a woman, which we all know now Brett didnt.

Top End Eagle said:
This is true but ask yourself if your daughter was in the care of this Nero character and had made the allegation would you want the police to disregard it on the basis of her - father/stepfather/whoever is bonking your ex-wife, being a goose?

Holds no relevance at all. Prima facie case was never even made.

Technical Coach said:
My main annoyance before and during the trial was in relation to one eyed supporters and their one eyed support under the guise of "innocent until proven guilty" mantra when really that was not their honest reasoning.

Oh FFS what a load of bollocks. You dont know when someone is posting honest reasoning or not. Your ego is as bad as our refs boss.

Mark from Brisbane said:
It's amazing how many non Manly people still believe he's guilty as sin. The trouble is that 99.9 per cent of those people won't read this and thats bloody sad,

I know he is innocent without any doubt, but I am still not reading it.

Many of the people you refer to above also think Brett was drunk and out of control on the night, which we know is 100 miles from the truth.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2