News: Sins of the Father

RE: Sins of the Father

ManlyBacker said:
Terrific article and with a bit more investigation there could probably have been a whole lot more. Still it is satisfying to have some of this out there at last.

I can't see anything wrong in the posts so far. But just a gentle reminder - you are responsible for what you post so be careful in what is obviously a hot button issue like this one.

Let me tell you it took every bit of restraint I had not to refer to that grub as something stronger

Utility Player said:
Wonder if that hit man is up for one last job

Well, Gallop is gone, so that's one less target.
Are you thinking about Bourbon Bec?

For those interested, and who may not have been on this site at the time, the daily court proceedings can be seen, if one looks, still posted on the site.

When the news of this allegation first came out my thoughts were that if he has done such a thing he should receive everything coming to him. As fans we want to believe the best of our stars but the truth is we only see their athletic skills & the part of their character they choose to show publicly, which may very well fully reflect their actual true colours. But it was conceivable that someone we enjoyed watching on the paddock could be capable of horror.

And so to see it get to this point is fantastic. But also terrible.

Another perspective on the case going to trial (& this is only a musing I came up with myself) is that perhaps Snake & his team felt the best way to truly put allegations this serious away is to have them heard in a court of law. As financially & emotionally expensive as that was, any settlement out of court or throwing out of the case would leave great doubts in the mind of the public about what actually went on. This is still a massive burden for Snake & his loved ones but imagine the stigma if it had been swept under the carpet. Today's article could be a further demonstration of the wisdom of having his day in court.

The media & NRL response is another serious matter which continues to fester. I don't think this is over yet, but unless those involved are willing to revisit their verdicts I don't think it will be resolved. Another cost of being in "wrong place at the wrong time" as Chip & Chase said.

But the human tragedy of both sets of children is what hits me hardest. Terrible...& transcends even the journey Brett is going through.

Sins of the Father

Funny how some are happy to believe a telegraph article when I suits them.

Strange world indeed.

I for one won't be reading it, sounds like its more dribble.

The Good Weekend is in the SMH. Not that that makes it 100% certified truth by any means. But at least the article is based on some research and quotes real people, unlike the "police witnesses" the Telegraph trotted out for their original hatchet job.

Speaking generally about the past decade and allegations against NRL footballers in NSW, Victoria, Queensland & NZ what is the success rate for prosecutions of charges brought by the police?

It seems - and I may be wrong - that to protect themselves from media & public backlash & criticism no one in authority wants to be seen as favouring NRL footballers so they go the other way by going harder on NRL footballers than most.

Who created a situation where NRL footballers are collectively portrayed as grubs & always guilty before innocent? Some sections of the media? The NRL for not fighting harder to disprove the perception & image of footballers? The NRL for punishing players for off field stuff & thus reaffirming the behaviour is wrong?

Meanwhile in other sports & in other states there are questions about why police investigations are stopped or stuffed up.

Bob, it's reasonably interesting reading, and it's in Fairfax not News ltd.. I met the woman, sister of the 'Nero' guy's partner, during the case and she told me of the weirdness of this guy. How she's written a book detailing his sordid life and the manipulation of those around him (probably the basis of this article). I watched him during the court case screaming out accusations of harassment of those in court. Total basket case. I have to agree with Slide, he should be investigated for what he's alleged to be doing with those kids, although Slide, the case should never had proceeded past the committal hearing. Brett must have spent half a million defending this crap, with no recompense. I'm sure he would have liked the case dismissed earlier. As I noted at the time, the case seemed so flimsy, the DPP and cops must have had another agenda.

As C&C says Bob, it is a Fairfax publication. They certainly weren't without blame at the time (hello Fitzy) but overall that news organisation is streets ahead and usually reliable. I'm not looking forward to Rhinehart getting one or more board positions as that may change.

bob dylan said:

Strange world indeed.

If I am correct Mark Whitaker (author of this piece) is a well respected crime journalist, and the article is far from dribble. It certainly appears well researched, but dont think I am trying to sway you from your decision - I respect a persons decision

bob dylan said:

Strange world indeed.

One of the most ridiculously stupid posts ive ever read on this site.

Are you so busy trying to score a point against some on here who might over react when a newspaper writes a negative story on Manly or just blinded to the overwhelming facts surrounding the Stewart case, supporting his innocence ?

My football hating wife just read the article. She always thought Snake did something , on finishing the article she was crying, feeling sorry for the poor family and for Snake and his family, and for the way as she said "that poor man (snake) has been judged by so many people for something he clearly has not done - that Nero guy is evil"

Top End Eagle said:
The name in the story was made up to protect identities. It's a good one though Raphaele Nero - more descriptive than John Thomas.

This is the bit that annoys me with accusations aginst sports stars, still to this day the identity of the others in this case is being "protected", yet Brett had his name totally dragged through mud, where was his protection. :huh: :huh:

Jatz Crackers said:
bob dylan said:

Strange world indeed.

One of the most ridiculously stupid posts ive ever read on this site.

Are you so busy trying to score a point against some on here who might over react when a newspaper writes a negative story on Manly or just blinded to the overwhelming facts surrounding the Stewart case, supporting his innocence ?

Unfortunately I think it is reflective of the attitude the majority of people will have. Headlines like "I was too drunk to remember" work because the people who believe them rarely have the inclination to read the article and just assume it is fact.

Mark Whittaker co-wrote (with Les Kennedy) the book 'Sins of the Brother' about Ivan Milat and his family. A very good (and disturbing) read.

DSM5 said:
Brett must have spent half a million defending this crap, with no recompense.

Why is that? I thought one would be entitled to a damages claim? I know nothing about law and no doubt this was discussed back when the case ended? But for the life of me i have no idea, hopefully someone can fill me in...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2