News: Orford is leaning towards staying at Brookvale until the end of the 2011 season.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<p>THE chance to continue playing with the Sea Eagles’ next generation and building on the club’s incredible success over the past two years could see champion Manly half Matt Orford remain at the premiers beyond this season. </p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/3899-orford-is-leaning-towards-staying-at-brookvale-until-the-end-of-the-2011-season.html">Read the full article</a>

The headline for this article on the back page of the Manly Daily was "Young guns fire Ox". Read that headline any way you like.

I am pleased that he is leaning towards staying. I wouldn't want him to make a firm decision or anything. I thought the sticking point was that he wanted a 3 year contract and the club was only prepared to offer 2. Well, 2011 makes it two years. I guess the real sticking point was and will remain the dollars.

Happy for him to stay provided we don't lose the Foran's, Hargraves, Williams as a result.  Pay him about $150k-$200k is all.

Just close the door on the way out at the end of this season please Matty.  And thanks for the memories.

tookey link said:
Happy for him to stay provided we don't lose the Foran's, Hargraves, Williams as a result.  Pay him about $150k-$200k is all.

Agree tookey. I want Orford to say also but not @ 500k per season your 100% correct we need to keep players like Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans,JWH, and William's and Co at the club.

DSM5 link said:
Just close the door on the way out at the end of this season please Matty.  And thanks for the memories.
[/quote[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=180425.msg223581#msg223581 date=1242706427]

Your a broken record dude. Let it go. I'll celebrate when he re-signs. He HAS been flat (as the rest of the team has this year), but he has consistently got us into finals football. A little different from the:-

Ferris
Dorn
Mullane
Walker
Holdsworth
Monaghan

era's.

I'm consistent Ryan, not a broken record.  He's to old to go around again, and again, and again.  Most good players know when to let it go, he obviously doesn't

Let's spend our money and energy on a halfback who will offer us something going forward, Orford won't. Let some suckers in the ESL pay his superannuation, not us. I really can't see him staying for $200K as season, can you ?

And Ryan I seem to recall you being a massive Monaghan fan, guaranteed us he would play halfback at SOO level if I recall. Same with Dorn, whose departure was lamented by many despite the fact the guy couldn't tackle or break the line and at best had adequate passing and kicking skills. Was going to set the world on fire at Roosters and would come back to haunt us. Thing is that they weren't that good, neither is Orford anymore. I suspect that whoever replaces Orford will be the next big thing and Orford will be consigned to the scrapheap of previous halfbacks who you once loved.

Bottom line is that Orford is consistently inconsistent. On his day he is probably above average in terms of NRL halfback standards, the problem is that his days are few and far between, and many may argue he left those days behind in Melbourne. On average this year he has been below par and I can't see this improving over the next 2 years as he gets older and slower.

Matty, take your Premiership Ring and retire gracefully to England where the wet pitches might help your grubbers pull up before the deadball line.

Two years I don't mind. He really has been inconsistent over the last couple of years. Hopefully we can find a replacement out of Cherry Evans, Foran or Hodkinson. I don't think any of them would stick around for three years behind Orford.

I actually wonder how much interest Matt is getting from overseas? After they closed the image rights loophole the ESL won't be as competitive money wise.

And I saw Monnas play against Hull a couple of days ago, I've never seen him play that bad before, it was a new low.

Cletus, two years will brown off a couple of goers within our ranks.  Would you stick around for two more seasons behind this guy?  There's absolutely no reason to put up with his 'inconsistency' as you call it.  He really shouldn't be the one to call the tune either, he's just not that good. 

I fully agree DSM, show him the door. And as for those who say he has guided us to the final two years in a row well I'm confident we would have made the final without him in the team.

Don't you find it funny that the only time he plays well is when the team around him is playing well (But his kicking game is still ****). as I keep saying for the money he is on he should be playing well week in week out regardless of what the others are doing. The boys have been playing badly yet Lyon has been in another class all year.

I don't know DSM5, they probably won't be ready next year and I can't see Orford signing for one year with an option in the clubs favor. Otherwise we'd have to sign a top class half for a stack of cash and I can't see us getting a top liner, and if we spend all that money we'll have trouble keep the younger guys anyway. It all comes down to how much the club is going to pay Orford and I'd trust their judgement over mine anyday.

Cletus, they'll sign who they want to sign whether I like it or not.  But... other clubs are bringing on players from their U20s, think Idris.  Players with talent will see him, and others progressing, and go where they feel they can get a go.  Orford has shown that we can win without a top line half, he's not one.  Look within our own ranks for a good ball distributor, good defensively and can grubber into the in goal.  That's all really.  Leave it to Lyon to win the game for us.  he did and does.  Throw the bank at him and if we do offer Orford something, offer what he's worth, not what he thinks his worth. 

Well hopefully we'll have one of them on the bench next year if Le Strange moves on. It is a lot of pressure to have on a young half to be running the show without being eased into it. They always take a while to get their game to where it should be, and for next year Orford probably is the best option. Don't know about 2011, but it's going to be hard for us to be a top line team with an inexperienced half.

I'd be happy to keep Orford for up to 250k, now i know we have three exciting young halves in the ranks but exciting doesnt always equate to success, the league is littered with next big things that fall through (Groom, Firman, Dobson, Dorn etc)

If we keep Orford he can bring on our young halves slowly, if we let him go we will have a youngster passing to a forward in bailey having all the pressure on him and most probably faltering

For mine, keep Orford and start Foran next to him next year

Im assuming Hall, LeStrange and probaly one of robbo/wolfman will go so i'd start with

1.Stewart
2.Robbo/Williams
3.Lyon
4.Matai
5.Hoppoate
6.Foran
7.Orford
8.Kite
9.Ballin
10.Perry
11.Rodney
12.Watmough
13.Stewart

14.Bailey
14.Cuthbertson
16.King
17.Hargraves/T Williams

18.Bani
19.Suniala
20.Cherry-Evans/Bennett
21.Hodgekinson/Bennett
22.Rose
23.T-Rex/Hargraves
24.Mauro
25.Palau

Hopefully he won't accept the 250K that Disco wants to offer him and he'll move onto ESL.  Maybe Parra. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4