News: Monday night football set for scrapheap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
fkin hate Monday night footy - Always hard to get to the match if an away game. Friday night I can usually finish up a little early if necessary.

If it stays the idea that it is shared around is a good one. Maybe each team can do it for 1-2 home games a season.

Monday night footy a $2m black hole

NRL clubs are losing as much as $300,000 a week by having home matches scheduled on Monday nights in what Souths boss Shane Richardson described as "an unmitigated disaster".

The shortfall from lower crowds in Monday night scheduling for pay-TV has left a black hole of at least $2 million in club coffers.

The Rabbitohs chief executive, who is leading a groundswell of club complaints against Monday night football, has estimated the round six match against the Dragons will cost Souths $205,000 in potential earnings from ticket, corporate and merchandise sales.

And Bulldogs boss Todd Greenberg said his club had already lost as much as $300,000 in ticket sales by having the opening round game against the Tigers on a Monday night instead of Sunday afternoon.

more @ http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/monday-night-footy-a-2m-black-hole/story-e6frexnr-1226025679565

Keep it only if the tv stations pay enough extra to make it worthwhile.  It might cost a few bums on seats but if the club ore than makes it back in tv money then it is all good I think. 

When do they televise the Friday games in Perth? I'll be moving there next year and just realised the time difference will probably kill my NRL viewing pleasure.

Shane link said:
$40k isnt enough to cover for top of the table clashes
In other words,the gate takings would be greater than
$40k especially with teams like Saints,Souths and Broncs

I'm not sure how these games are allocated but I'm pretty sure that the Friday night games and Sunday arvo game are early choices for channel 9. Surely top of the table clashes would already get snapped up in those timeslots. I doubt that MNF ever televises a game considered to be in the top 3 games for the round.

MNF is absolutely huge in the US and I think Fox was hoping to emulate this. The other thing that's huge in the US is sports gambling. MNF is considered the last chance to 'get square' on a weekend of bets. Maybe Fox needs to invest in Centrebet?

Oh, and before I forget - I also hate MNF!

codewana link said:
When do they televise the Friday games in Perth? I'll be moving there next year and just realised the time difference will probably kill my NRL viewing pleasure.

If you want to watch NRL here in Perth you will need to get Foxtel.

Channel 9 here refuse to show NRL at a decent time.

Where will you be living when you get to Perth?

Fluffy link said:
Swap it for a Saturday arvo match if its all about tv rights.

better for crowds to have another arvo game and still a seperate timeslot to broadcast

I like this idea....hate MNF

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6