News: Monday night football set for scrapheap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<div /><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 18px; color: #000000;" />
<div class="story-intro" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px;" />
<p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 1em; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 40px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px;">NRL clubs will not tolerate Monday night football when the next TV rights deal comes into place in 2013.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5441-monday-night-football-set-for-scrapheap.html">Read the full article</a>

Swap it for a Saturday arvo match if its all about tv rights.

better for crowds to have another arvo game and still a seperate timeslot to broadcast

If Fox wants it Fox will get it.  Since when did Fox or Gallop give a stuff about the clubs?

Thank god. Monday night football was the worst idea EVER!

My wife is sick of all the football I have watched all weekend and doesn't want to watch another game Monday night, plus to be honest after dealing with a day at work on Monday it isn't top of my list.

it is designed specifically for Pay TV but that doesn't exactly help the clubs or even the fans. It is a total exercise in a waste of time that only the NRL and pay TV like, none of the fans or clubs particularly enjoy it

LOL Dan it is only rd2 & your in trouble already

like to take it 1 step further, Give people the choice on  friday nights by having the game on the stations other channel for whoever gets the rights Nine(Gem or Go), Seven(7mate, seven2) Ten(1hd, eleven) & have the super Sat as 3pm (simulcast on ABC Aust wide to promote our game) 5:30 & 7:30

being able to choose between the games on Friday night would be great. Bloody well hate having to watch the broncos first every Friday.

Monday night football probably puts a few extra dollars in the TV Rights than I'm all for it.  The only thing that needs to happen is making it fair on the clubs and having an even distribution of games.  Every club should do at least 2 and no more than 3, or something like that. 

Actually quickly doing the maths, 16 teams x 3 Monday night games equals 24 games.  No Monday night game in Round 26 and prior to the final Origin game makes it fair for everyone.

hmm it's interesting that the article mentions that it costs clubs about $10k fans through the gates every game. Imagine how badly it stung us last year

Wouldn't it be nice if the wishes of we fans was listened to once, over the lure of the TV dollars?
I hate MNF. And (as you'll see from an earlier post/rant) the Broncos never seem to play one. Funny that!

When Perth are admitted they will add a new dimension to the time slots.

I'd image most/all their home games will be Sundays with a 3-4pm kickoff which will introduce Sunday Night footy to the eastern states. Which will be another nail in the coffin of the Monday night games.

MadMarcus link said:
If Fox wants it Fox will get it.  Since when did Fox or Gallop give a stuff about the clubs?

It's the highest rating game for Fox and you'd hope they will get it. But only after Gallop have told them that they clubs don't want a bar of it and Fox has to increase their bid. Fax should be paying through the nose for the NRL rights.

I bet Monday night football remains BUT what has to happen is the clubs that play it should get compensated for having to play it in such a crap timeslot for fans.

And you have to admit it's quite fun to watch the game on a Monday night (as long as you have Fox).

BUT I do understand it's complete crap for fans trying to get to games.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I bet Monday night football remains BUT what has to happen is the clubs that play it should get compensated for having to play it in such a crap timeslot for fans.

And you have to admit it's quite fun to watch the game on a Monday night (as long as you have Fox).

BUT I do understand it's complete crap for fans trying to get to games.

I really like it because I'm usually working on the weekend and it's one of the few chances I get to have a beer and watch the football. And I don't think the compensation would be too hard if Fox pay a decent amount for it.

$40k isnt enough to cover for top of the table clashes
In other words,the gate takings would be greater than
$40k especially with teams like Saints,Souths and Broncs

I'd rather that it stays TBH, gets great ratings as it's really the only top Australian sport that occupies that timeslot. Great for building the game.

What the NRL do need to do though is pull their fingers out & schedule a decent draw. If a team plays on a Monday then have them play on a Sunday the following week. Every team playing a fair amount of MNF games would be great as well, unlike the nonesense we got dished up last year.

If we have an extra two teams in a couple of years then we will have an extra game as well. My guess is that Monday night stays and we get another Sat game.

Are they allowed to show the game on the digital channels ie. Gem or 7Two or OneHD? Or is it on that list of sporting events that have to be on regular TV?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7