News: Manly watch exit from lounge rooms

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agrees top 8 blows, is as easy to get in as miss out.

nothing wrong with top 5.

but whilst money drives the sport we will have a top 8, more matches means more revenue.

Top 5 is probably too slim for 16 teams so I can see Top 6 working and maybe Top 7 but Top 7 seems too much.

Top 5 sure as hell makes it worth playing for. We can also lengthen the season proper as well.

I really hate the fact that we have 16 teams, and we dont get an even competition because not every team faces every other team equal amounts of times. Really we need a 30 week season to make it fair, but that's too long apparently

only lengthens by a week unfortunately, top 5 is still 3 weeks worth.

with 30 weeks of regular season plus finals and rep stuff it doesnt leave much down time.

But i do agree that it is not equitable as it is, unfortunately i have no idea how it can be fixed.

Fro link said:
only lengthens by a week unfortunately, top 5 is still 3 weeks worth.

with 30 weeks of regular season plus finals and rep stuff it doesnt leave much down time.

But i do agree that it is not equitable as it is, unfortunately i have no idea how it can be fixed.

Well I would say a reduction in the rep duties is the best way. I mean honestly the tri-nations and all that **** is just rubbish. I only watch it because there is no other footy on. So take that out of the equation and put a longer season in and it all equals out.

Not only that, they are professional athletes they can handle it. I work year round with next to no down time and get paid less than they do.

In that scenario above, the *next* time 1 vs 2 *could* happen is in the GF.  Assume side 2 loses it goes to the other side of the draw away from side 1.

I reckon 50% of the competition making the finals is okay.  The NFL only has 12/32 in the finals and the teams that make it virtually treat just making the finals as the pinnacle of the season.  Last year you had the ridiculous scenario where the long term excellence of the Patriots missed out on the finals altogether because they started slowly and finished a narrow 2nd to the Dolphins in the AFC East. 

This top 6 system seems more reasonable that the top 8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_six_play-offs

used by Superleague.

Basically Team 1 & 2 get the first week off. They play and the winner goes straight to the grand final.

The Loser plays the winner of the other team play off which goes

3 v 6
4 v 5

Losers out

Winners play each other, and the winner plays against the loser of team 1 and 2

Team 1 and 2 get a clear advantage and a fairly easy path to the final too

Matabele link said:
In that scenario above, the *next* time 1 vs 2 *could* happen is in the GF.  Assume side 2 loses it goes to the other side of the draw away from side 1.

I reckon 50% of the competition making the finals is okay.  The NFL only has 12/32 in the finals and the teams that make it virtually treat just making the finals as the pinnacle of the season.  Last year you had the ridiculous scenario where the long term excellence of the Patriots missed out on the finals altogether because they started slowly and finished a narrow 2nd to the Dolphins in the AFC East. 
The NFL has the Wildcard system with teams in each league having a chance to make it despite being second in their zone. Patriots didn't get a wildcard  and so didn't deserve to be there. Over there the top sides play the lower sides in each Conference and the seedings determine this but there are no second chances and the team that wins goes four weeks without a loss.

Superleague has actually gone to a top 8 system this year Dan, not sure exactly what system they are using for the 1st week, but it may well be the McIntyre as 1 is playing 8 this weekend

However, they did come up with an innovation I remember reading about last off season, where the highest ranked side actually gets to pick their opponent. Not actually sure when that comes into play though

Canteen Worker link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=181727.msg242144#msg242144 date=1252996210]

The NFL has the Wildcard system with teams in each league having a chance to make it despite being second in their zone. Patriots didn't get a wildcard  and so didn't deserve to be there. Over there the top sides play the lower sides in each Conference and the seedings determine this but there are no second chances and the team that wins goes four weeks without a loss.
[/quote]  I'm fully aware of how it works Mr ENTJ.  And given the AFC East was arguably a much stronger division than some of the others the sides in the East tend to knock each over and diminish their chances of getting a wild card over some of the other divisions. 

The same will be true of NFC North this year with Vikes, Bears and Packers at each others' throats. 

I dont mind that idea of the team who finishes first gets to pick their team, that would make it a very interesting lottery for all teams involved really

Dan link said:
I dont mind that idea of the team who finishes first gets to pick their team, that would make it a very interesting lottery for all teams involved really
Can you imagine Mark from Brisie - he would have a heart attack not knowing which city to book accomodation until it is almost too late. It would be a coaches nightmare too - pick a team and lose and you would be considered a total idiot.

thats part of the beauty of the idea MB

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=181727.msg242195#msg242195 date=1253010073]
Can you imagine Mark from Brisie - he would have a heart attack not knowing which city to book accomodation until it is almost too late. It would be a coaches nightmare too - pick a team and lose and you would be considered a total idiot.
[/quote] I was thinking the same thing.  And what happens to the team picked if they lose?  They're out?  even if they were the 2nd placed side?

What odds the Queens would have picked us given our record against them over the last few years?

I am pretty sure the SL were going to use that this season, it may be from week 2 onwards, will try and find out somewhere

Mata, pretty sure all the games would be sudden death

It certainly gives the side being picked some extra motivation in their team talks

agree also, I think Eels got the one of the better runs.

I mean if I were Dragons, I likely would have picked the Titans to play off against or the Bulldogs.

Super League's new play-off format 'adds spice', says RFL chief Richard Lewis
Rugby Football League supremo Richard Lewis has defended Super League's controversial new play-off system and revealed a fresh push to strengthen the game in London.

By Michael Fisher
Published: 9:23PM GMT 08 Jan 2009

The new season, which will be launched at Millbank on Feb 2, will feature a controversial new play-off format, with the leading team after the first round choosing their next opponents.

St Helens chairman Eamon McManus is among the critics, labelling the move a "gimmick", but Lewis insists it will add spice to the competition.

"Some people don't like it but I think it's a continuation of rugby league being innovative," he said.

"It was discussed in some detail and the majority of clubs supported it. It wasn't unanimous and there was some good debate about it.

"But I think it adds extra interest. The play-offs had to be changed because we've moved to 14 teams and, if you are going to change, why not add something? I think everybody agrees it adds spice to it."

Lewis, the RFL's executive chairman, has played down fears of a World Cup hangover and claimed that England's disappointing performances in Australia would add spice to the annual World Club Challenge on March 1.

The inquest into England's failure in the World Cup, which was in contrast to encouraging displays by Ireland and Scotland, is continuing under the guidance of Lewis, who says it could be two months before the League are ready to outline their plans for the future.

But the RFL boss confirmed that Ireland and Scotland will get the chance to build on their success when they take part in a second-tier European Nations Cup – along with Wales and probably Russia, Lebanon and Serbia – which will be run alongside the new-look Four Nations series in the autumn.

"Next year the European Nations Cup will include France and the winners will play in the 2011 Four Nations," Lewis said.

"That ensures the quality will go up each year so it's looking pretty exciting for the international game."

Fixtures and venues have yet to be finalised for the Four Nations, which will be televised by the BBC and Sky, but Lewis confirmed that France – the additions to the old Tri-Nations – will almost certainly host matches against Australia and New Zealand and receive England in a mid-season international.

London is the likely venue for the World Cup final re-match between the Kangaroos and Kiwis, according to Lewis, who said: "I think it works well in London. There is a strong Antipodean presence in the capital."

London will also be the venue for the launch of engage Super League XIV while Australian champions Manly will take on Harlequins at the Twickenham Stoop on Feb 22 in a warm-up match for the World Club Challenge at Elland Road.

"We're putting a lot of effort into London," said Lewis.

"It's reflecting what we've said for a couple of years now, that rugby league activity in London and the south-east is a lot bigger than people realise and adding to the profile is logical."

The highlight of the early part of the season will be the World Club Challenge between Leeds and Manly, and Lewis denies the credibility of the annual clash of the champions was damaged by England's World Cup flop.

"I think people will look forward to it as a chance to show that at club level we are at the very least competitive with Australia if not capable of beating them on our day," he said.

"I think the World Club Challenge has been given a bit of extra spice this year. I suspect a few players from the Leeds Rhinos would like to chalk up a victory."

Meanwhile, the RFL remain confident of being able to secure the rights to stage the next World Cup in 2013, with Australia yet to submit a rival bid.

"We want to stage it but we need to demonstrate that we can deliver regional and national government investment and that's what we'll be working on over the next few months," said Lewis, who is vice-chairman of the International Federation.

"The Australian federal and state governments put money into the 2008 World Cup which was part of its success and I think the Australians quite rightly expect us to do a similar thing in the UK.

"They haven't bid yet but, if we can't deliver government investment, I think Australia will come back into the frame because they can almost certainly deliver that."

The International Federation are likely to make a decision on the venue later this year

I reckon that idea, where the minor premier pick who they play, is a bit like winning the toss on a cloudy day at Headingly after 2 weeks of rain.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4