News: Manly watch exit from lounge rooms

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p />Text messages and phone calls flew thick and fast between shocked Manly players yesterday from the moment Eels winger Luke Burt nailed his field goal to sink the Dragons and eject the Sea Eagles from the play-offs.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4289-manly-watch-exit-from-lounge-rooms.html">Read the full article</a>

"Asked if he was a fan of the McIntyre top eight system, Hasler replied: ''I don't really understand it"

That is reassuring  ::)

It is a poor system where two teams finishing at the bottom of the 8 get a massive advantage and home final in week 2.

This article backs up what I have been saying all season.

Before the Melbourne game Watmough says it's a must-win but after the game Hasler, Watmough and others admit that they thought they were always going to play next week and express surprise at being tossed.

All year the player/coach rhetoric has been at odds with the player/coach mindset.  Let's hope that is the first thing to be fixed. 

There definitely seems to be a dis-connect between management and players at the moment.

Its a ridiculous system
Eels finish 8th win 1 game and they get a home ground advantage against a team that won more games than them and finished 3rd

Dragons must also be spewing that they have to go to brisbane for their next game as well

Ahh well the Dragons shouldn't have played like sh*t. They would've lost to Melbourne under the AFL format and would be in a similar if not identical position. Brisbane would've beaten Newie, Parra would've rolled us, Dogs would've beaten the Titans. Would be very similar games this week under either format.

Des has been whinging all year.  Mumbling into his stubble.  Makes me sick.  Now being told Orford played injured all year, and he wants him around for another three years!  Jesus!  Maybe both of them can go. 

I think they should use the AFL system. Much fairer knowing who's in and out after each game.

Parra would have beaten us, so it wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

Even so its not cause of Manly going out this year that I think that. I've thought it ever since I realised what the AFL system was. Makes more sense to me.

Volley link said:
Ahh well the Dragons shouldn't have played like sh*t. They would've lost to Melbourne under the AFL format and would be in a similar if not identical position.

No, they'd have had a home semi.

Even though he has become a dithering idiot, I prefer the Warren Ryan system, particularly as it throws up an extra game.

It was something like this:

Week one:
1 vs 2 with the winner getting a week off
3 vs 8
4 vs 7
5 vs 6

Week Two:  3 games consisting of the loser of 1 vs 2 joining with the winners of the other 3 games.

Week Three:

3 winners from Week 2 joined by winner of 1 vs 2 in semi finals

Grand Final

Even the broadcasters would sign off on that one with the extra content.

I like that one. There has to be reward for what happens through the season but a chance for the form teams to come through and win it if they are good enough.

I don't like that at all. You don't want 1 and 2 to play off straight away. It should be set up so that 1 and 2 don't have to play till the final (assuming they win all their games).

why not ads, top 4 finals series was always that way, if they are good enough they will meet again later on

I like the idea of having 1 and 2 play separate sides of the draw and only meeting in the grand final. But the way our top 8 runs probably isn't the best

Actually I wouldn't mind if they changed it to the bottom placed single loser drops out and the highest placed winner gets a week off.

That way you get an extra game in week 2 as well.

So this week bulldogs would get the week off and the Knights would drop off, all the other teams play again and we lose another 2 teams this week and so on.

Well something like that anyway.

It should get harder as you get into the finals. The system we have works a certain purpose but I just don't think it is the best available.

I personally am not a fan of top 8 either.

It seems ridiculous to me that the finals is played out amongst Half of the teams in the comp. That i just silly.

I think it should be reduced to a top 7 or even top 6.

A top 6 with the McIntyre would be slightly better and fairer over all. Top 7 would mean you could set up something similar to what I suggest or we could go back to the old Top 5 style system but with 7 teams instead

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2