News: Manly to fight for Steve Matai, Trent Hodkinson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Matabele link said:
[quote author=SeaEagleRock8 link=topic=183454.msg264633#msg264633 date=1275273756]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=183454.msg264599#msg264599 date=1275269109]
Letting Matai go is like bidding farewell to a jalopy held together by fishing twine and copper wire. 
Might not pass a pink slip exam but he's not out of rego yet.
[/quote]  I wouldn't be committing to $600k over 3 years for a bomb without a pink slip, would you?
[/quote]

So you would be ripping up Brett's slips as well then ? For the amount of times he has gone down in the past, he hasn't missed a lot of footy for us

I hope we manage to get both players on the books again, would be a great result for the club and will keep us strong for years. Whare and Farrar will be good replacements if Matai does go, but they won't be able to do some of the crucial stuff Matai does for us, his tough hitups and dummy half running coming off our line is really valuable for our side

It's a body contact sport, or at least it was the last time I watched Matas.  I guess you could blame Lowe for the higher than usual 'injury' body count.  Apart from the recent suspension I thought Matai was going exceedingly well.  Not the 'jalopy' of prior years.  Remind me, has he been injured this season?     

I think the comment was more aimed at the change in medical staff that went on early last year

I'd have no problem with Brett's status being scrutinised.  He owes us two seasons basically.  But his contract is not up for review next year (unless he's convicted) where Matai's is.  Does anyone think he doesn't have damage to his chassis? 

Mata, any bloke out there has some wear and tear on their chassis

The thing with Matai is though, that he did used to go down often in games (not so much this season) but he would still get up and keep going. Last year seemed like a bad one for him but we still got 22 games out of him. This year hasn't missed any through injury as yet

As said above, my main reason for keeping him is that we don't have another player in his style in our squad, some of his attributes are crucial to the side imo

Kiwi Eagle link said:
This year hasn't missed any through injury as yet
  3 lost already due to stupid tackles, and he's a marked man at the judiciary.  At a time of year when we can least afford to lose him too.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=SeaEagleRock8 link=topic=183454.msg264633#msg264633 date=1275273756]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=183454.msg264599#msg264599 date=1275269109]
Letting Matai go is like bidding farewell to a jalopy held together by fishing twine and copper wire. 
Might not pass a pink slip exam but he's not out of rego yet.
[/quote]  I wouldn't be committing to $600k over 3 years for a bomb without a pink slip, would you?
[/quote]He has a Ford GTHO body, a bit rusted around the edges with a Ferrari engine underneath the bonnet. Matai has miles in him yet. Out of the players we have, who would we seriously use in the centre? Start leaking tries down the left edge again and I can just imagine the whingeing.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=183454.msg264712#msg264712 date=1275288151]
Weren't we discussing the condition of his body Mata ?
Yep, it's a ticking bomb (pun intended).
[/quote]

Could be a lot longer left on the timer than you are giving it credit for

DSM5, Matai did re-injure his neck during the recent Titans game but he was alright for the following week.

It's a tough one. The timing re Hodko is just a bit unfortunate, I would have liked to see another 5-6 weeks out of him and judge him then to see if he is worth the investment. You'd have to admit that he hasn't played a game where you've gone "Wow, this kid's going to be one of the greats, sign him up". He has been solid no doubt, and I know he has represented City, but that is more a reflection on the dearth of City halves rather than his dominance in the NRL. He has been good but I have been a little disappointed in his ability / willingness to drive the side around the park in the absence of Foran and Lyon. I think there is obvious improvement there, just wouldn't mind a little longer to see how it develops before we start talking $300K a season over 3 years. That's good coin.

Would hate to see Matai go, would even hate it more to see him lining up for another NRL side as I know what sort of damage he could do to us. I personally think he has been our best player so far this year (along with Rodney). He has been consistently putting in every week and I can't remember a game yet that he hasn't been in the top 3-4 best performers. His efforts have been a key to our good start this year. I hope we can hang onto him some how. 

Matabele link said:
3 lost already due to stupid tackles, and he's a marked man at the judiciary.  At a time of year when we can least afford to lose him too.

We can afford to lose him now, its probably perfect timing in the grand scheme of things.

1) Matai gets a rest to get over whatever ailments hes picked up this year.
When he gets back he'll be fresh, and angry (Matais always angry), and ready to prove why we need to hold onto him. Right in time for the lead up to the finals.

2) Whare gets a run, we get to see what he can do and we start building some depth in the centres

If we lose a couple of games in the process its no big deal. Its mid season. Performance around the back end of the season is what counts, ask the dragons

I agree.
Matai's put his hand up every game and has always been close to best on field (same said for Rodney). I think people are underestimating how valuable it is to have a teams centre/second rower literally too scared to get the ball. Goes along way in stifling attack.

Was it Creagh (EDIT: It was Dean Young), who he absolutely hammered early on against the Dragons? Didnt see him take a run for the rest of the game. Too worried that Matai would hurt him.

Hokko is a talent but he has shown hes far better as a pairing with Foran. If they stick together rep jumpers and premierships will follow. That wont happen with Ben Roberts at 5/8. You would hope his manager has this foresight and can steer him in the right direction

Chip & Chase link said:
It's a tough one. The timing re Hodko is just a bit unfortunate, I would have liked to see another 5-6 weeks out of him and judge him then to see if he is worth the investment. You'd have to admit that he hasn't played a game where you've gone \"Wow, this kid's going to be one of the greats, sign him up\". He has been solid no doubt, and I know he has represented City, but that is more a reflection on the dearth of City halves rather than his dominance in the NRL. He has been good but I have been a little disappointed in his ability / willingness to drive the side around the park in the absence of Foran and Lyon. I think there is obvious improvement there, just wouldn't mind a little longer to see how it develops before we start talking $300K a season over 3 years. That's good coin.

Would hate to see Matai go, would even hate it more to see him lining up for another NRL side as I know what sort of damage he could do to us. I personally think he has been our best player so far this year (along with Rodney). He has been consistently putting in every week and I can't remember a game yet that he hasn't been in the top 3-4 best performers. His efforts have been a key to our good start this year. I hope we can hang onto him some how. 

Keep Matai.  He's going great this season, and there's no reason to think he won't do it for a few more.  Hodko is going OK, maybe he's good, but not yet great.  If the think-tank that is our retention committee want him then they'll pay overs for him given the interest that the Dogs have.  Maybe they have another in line for the half position.       

[quote author=jwaa link=topic=183454.msg264797#msg264797 date=1275347386]

Hokko is a talent but he has shown hes far better as a pairing with Foran. If they stick together rep jumpers and premierships will follow. That wont happen with Ben Roberts at 5/8. You would hope his manager has this foresight and can steer him in the right direction

If his manager is any good, this would be the smart option and get the kickbacks later on down the track. Not all managers are like that though.

TokyoEagle link said:
[quote author=jwaa link=topic=183454.msg264797#msg264797 date=1275347386]

If his manager is any good, this would be the smart option and get the kickbacks later on down the track. Not all managers are like that though.

This thread is kind of disappointing. Yes, I know this is an aspect of how a salary cap works, but in my opinion, it also doesn't cater to both the players, and the fans real wants and needs in real life.

Firstly, I don't think Matai wants to go. Secondly, I don't think any of the fans want him to go (I certainly don't).

He's played first grade at one club only. I know this has been done to death guys, but this really highlights why one club players, or players with a certain amount of tenure should be dispensated to a certain degree from the salary cap.

Now, I know nothing I'm going to say here will make a difference, and I'm hoping the extra $300k helps us keep Matai (seriously, like others have said, his aggressive / intimidation type style, is something we really need).

Hopefully though, our culture is one that a player will take less to play for, in hope to build a legacy. If your in a team that creates a legacy, and your a one club type player, I really am a firm believer that, that specific demographic will work out, and support the players post football (Beaver and his Sea Eagles Home Loans as examples).

So ryan if you only had a limited career (say 10 years) you would not think about going elsewhere for considerable more salary?

Culture aside it is a professional sport where players move for cash. How do you think we have gotten some of the talented juniors from parra etc? By offering more money

I wish it was not the case but you can not begrudge a player leaving for more money

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4