News: Manly take aim at NRL over Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<p>MANLY have launched a stinging attack on the NRL, claiming Brett Stewart continues to be vilified for alleged misconduct at the team's 2009 season launch despite the clear lack of evidence.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5399-manly-take-aim-at-nrl-over-stewart.html">Read the full article</a>

Good, but not strong enough.  A demand in there somewhere might have been better.  They should have insisted that Gallop desist from linking Stewart to any misconduct by others. 

u should of seen how those news ltd stooges report this on fox sports news 513 no mention of the trial evidence.

They basically having a crack  at manly saying we should get over it.

News Ltd scum

The Manly club are exact in what they are saying.But is all this really going to do us any favours on or off the field.
I don't want to endure another season of very rough calls.How many losses last year were a direct result from clearly wrong decisions?

Proud of the fact the club has stood right behind Brett through this,but they really should be doing this away from the media.

No, it's the media & public opinion that is one of the main issues.

His name has to be cleared to the public as well as in court. The media are perpetuating the myth that it has been proven this whole thing was. They must be stopped, publicly.

There's an option to vote on whether Manly are doing the right thing by protesting about Brett's treatment at the bottom of that article.
I can't seem to find the link to post here but so far 72% agree.

i think the club has done the right thing.

The club has made a few mistakes over the last couple of years but you cannot fault they way they have stood up for and stood by brett during this whole rubbish.

Its about time the so called CEO of the NRL mans up and admits that they got it so wrong by being reactive in march 2009

doubt it will happen though

got the article from
. http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/03/08/manly-take-aim-at-nrl-over-stewart/

Cambo link said:
i think the club has done the right thing.

The club has made a few mistakes over the last couple of years but you cannot fault they way they have stood up for and stood by brett during this whole rubbish.

Its about time the so called CEO of the NRL mans up and admits that they got it so wrong by being reactive in march 2009

doubt it will happen though

I agree, I was worried that they were going to let the whole Carney and Marshall thing pass without a murmur, but good on them for sticking by Brett and sticking it into Gallop. I can imagine that the club took personal affront at how Gallop basically rubbed their noses in it by saying that their treatment of Brett's incident was unacceptable (ie naming him to play) and that they would step in and suspend him for 4 weeks and fine the club. Manly's decision has since been vindicated by Brett's court case and Gallop continues to make a fool of himself by refusing to apply the same lofty standards to others. I really hope that they are lobbying hard behind the scenes to scupper this muppet's bid to be the CEO of the new IC.

What gives me the craps is that the NRL are now trying to say he was suspended and we were fined over the sexual assult that never took place . We were find 100k for Brett and Choc being " Drunk " at a club function and Brett was suspened for 4 weeks for being " drunk " which has now been disproved in a court of law. Last time i checked the LAW took precedence over the NRL. They can't turn around now and change what they did to suit themselves.

The NRL is a corrupt entity , there can be no other explaination for the double standards displayed by Mr Gallop and the board of the NRL.

I've said it heaps of times. The Manly Club publicly admitted that the function was mishandled, they confirmed that a booze ban would be enforced at all future official functions and they sent a letter to sponsors and all Sea Eagle members openly apologising for the players' behaviour and pleading for supporters to stand by the club. I hate it, but they are off their heads if they think they have a legal case or can get back any of the $100k.

kurri eagle link said:
What gives me the craps is that the NRL are now trying to say he was suspended and we were fined over the sexual assult that never took place . We were find 100k for Brett and Choc being \" Drunk \" at a club function and Brett was suspened for 4 weeks for being \" drunk \" which has now been disproved in a court of law. Last time i checked the LAW took precedence over the NRL. They can't turn around now and change what they did to suit themselves.

The NRL is a corrupt entity , there can be no other explaination for the double standards displayed by Mr Gallop and the board of the NRL.
The very shady thing about the Carney outcome was that Gallop did'nt even include the NRL board in the any of the discussions or the decision.    
Bloody hell there hasnt even been a board meeting since October.
Seems Gallop has more input from his employers over at News than he does from the board of the NRL.
If the Indepentant Commision is meant to be run by the clubs and the fans than every club and the fans from all clubs must demand Gallop is not involved in any way,shape or form involved with Rugby League..

Official Press Release from Manly:

The Manly Sea Eagles are bitterly disappointed that after two years spent clearing his name, Brett Stewart continues to be vilified. Brett continues to be dragged into the limelight every time another player allegedly misbehaves. This is not acceptable. Because of this continued misinformation the Sea Eagles are compelled to issue the following statement:

The Manly Sea Eagles are astounded at recent statements made by the National Rugby League and some media outlets as to the alleged behaviour of Brett Stewart at the club’s launch at the Manly Wharf Bar exactly two years ago.

Whilst nobody denies the right of the NRL to take action in an appropriate case, it is time to set the record straight about what really did happen in the case of Brett Stewart.

Firstly, it is true that the NRL publicly stated that it was suspending Brett Stewart over his conduct earlier in the evening on Friday, March 6 2009 and not because of the allegations of sexual assault.

The Manly Club refutes the claim that there was clear evidence of misconduct by Brett Stewart at the Season Launch. Licensing police viewed CCTV of the Wharf Bar and no breaches were found, nor were any charges laid against the licensee for breaches of Licensing Laws.

Anyone who attended the trial would be aware that it was a substantial part of the prosecution’s case that Brett Stewart was affected by alcohol on the evening in question. A great deal of evidence, some from witnesses and some in the form of CCTV footage, was put before the jury by the prosecution in order to attempt to establish that fact. It is reasonable to assume, in light of the verdict that the jury completely rejected the suggestion that Brett was drunk at the relevant time.

In hindsight in light of the NRL’s most recent decisions in similar matters the fact that Brett was suspended for four weeks and the club was fined $100,000 would appear grossly unfair.

This club doesn’t take any issue with the recent decision of the NRL in the case of Benji Marshall. Allowing the legal process to take its course, without intervention, is the correct decision to take. The problem the Manly Club and its supporters have is that the same support was not given to Brett Stewart.

The club is adamant that Brett Stewart is not guilty of anything other than being an outstanding citizen and a great footballer.

Can't seem to find anything on the DT website or the NRL...yet, only SMH

from twitter
the #NRL has just fired its retort to Manly's tirade. Stand by again. It'll be worth the wait

It doesn't look like this is going to go anywhere.  They need to sit down and talk to Gallop.  That's the only possible way this can be dealt with.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2