News: Hopoate may leave NRL to become a missionary

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
RUGBY LEAGUE'S hottest property, Manly young gun William Hopoate, is considering taking a two-year break from the game to fulfil his religious duties as a devout Mormon.
The 18-year-old son of former Test winger John Hopoate has six clubs chasing him and,

Read the full article

maybe not bad, solves fitting him in!! in 2014, he will be 20/21 and Jamie will be finishing up. Can't see him happy on the wing in 2012.

I saw a terrific show that followed Mormon families over years. Every one admitted that in all the time they did missionary work they never made a single convert. Has there been a bigger waste of time than rocking up to thousands of stranger's doors and trying to convert them?

I would be happy if we signed him up from 2014, that shows the club has alot of respect for him and his beliefs and i'm sure it would fit nicely into the 5 year plan that Des is working on.

A man that wakes up, and does what he chooses, is a King. As long as he comes back to Manly, and plays his career here. I'm happy for the bloke. It's his life.

The club can't go into a holding pattern waiting for him to possibly return years later in an unfit and out of practise state. If he wants to go we will have to move on.

Israel Folau got an exemption from it and I think Hoppa will too.

And the Mormons are yet to earn any respect in my book.

Darren said:
maybe not bad, solves fitting him in!! in 2014, he will be 20/21 and Jamie will be finishing up. Can't see him happy on the wing in 2012.

Heard Jamie wants to go back and play with St Helens before hanging them up altogether

ManlyBacker said:
I saw a terrific show that followed Mormon families over years. Every one admitted that in all the time they did missionary work they never made a single convert. Has there been a bigger waste of time than rocking up to thousands of stranger's doors and trying to convert them?

Has there been a bigger waste of time than participating in any form of organised religion ?

Someone get him a copy of this
small.DAWKINS_The%20God%20Delusion.jpg

Got a good mate at work whose a Mormon he's been to a few bucks nights we've had but he's pisses off when the stripper arrives. Top bloke though

Or it's just his manager/dad/kids down the street throwing it out there to push up the desperation to sign or re-sign him.

Captain of the Gate said:
Someone get him a copy of this
small.DAWKINS_The%20God%20Delusion.jpg

I have read that book and it really upset the "believers".

In the fair dinkum department they tell kids when they are 9 or 10 santa is not real so why do they persist with this "god" stuff.

All options serious for Hopoate
David Beniuk
13:03 AEST Mon May 2 2011

NSW City Origin winger William Hopoate says all of his options, including a Mormon mission, will be equal considerations when he decides on his future.

The 18-year-old is one of the hottest properties in the NRL with up to six clubs interested in his signature.

Hopoate has starred for Manly this season, deputising for injured former Test fullback Brett Stewart, and earned his first representative call-up with a City jersey for Friday night's clash with Country in Albury.

Off-contract at the end of 2011, he says a two-year religious mission is being considered as seriously as offers from the Sea Eagles and, reportedly, Parramatta, St George Illawarra, Canterbury, Newcastle and the Warriors.

"I'm just taking everything into consideration at the moment," he told reporters as City trained in the western Sydney suburb of Blacktown.

"It's quite a big decision. I'm just weighing up all my options and see what happens.

"Everything's equal at the moment, all my options.

"I'm not ruling anything out."

The son of former Test winger John Hopoate, William was asleep at home when he received the call to tell him he'd be playing in the NSW State of Origin trial alongside heroes like Jarryd Hayne and Michael Jennings.

"I never thought I'd be here," Hopoate said.

"My main goal was just to try and crack first grade."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8243529

The Eagle said:
mmmmm not sounding good,starting to read like a dogko speech

Yeah. I remember hoppa (john) being interviewed by zorba (I think it was) about folau going to AFL - Hoppa reckoned his family/church would have made the decision for him and that the church would get a percentage of his million bucks.

He's playing it pretty smart.

Even if he wants to stay at Manly and has no intention of going anywhere else this is the best way of making sure he gets paid as much as possible.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7