News: Hasler's on track to coach till 2014

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Manly try to lock in Hasler before he's tempted away Greg Prichard smh

MANLY have begun negotiating to re-sign coach Des Hasler until the end of the 2014 season, which would stretch his term in charge of the first-grade side to 11 years.

There have been fears Hasler could be lost to the club at the end of this season because of a get-out clause in his contract. He signed until the end of next year, but has an option to finish up at the end of this year if he triggers this by June 30.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/manly-try-to-lock-in-hasler-before-hes-tempted-away-20110426-1dv68.html#ixzz1Kf8RO6ze

we have always been a club to go with insiders as coach.we have a won a premiership every decade since the 70's.des has done a great job.if it aint broke,dont fix it.

exactly right and Hasler must be excited about the young players coming through right now as well.

As explained to the fans at a post-Brisbane game by Grant Meyer:
Des had a 5-year plan in 2004. From getting into the final 8, to making the semis in 2007 and making the GF in 2008.

2007 was a bonus, making the GF and winning the GF, although planned some 5 years previous, was a golden bonus. What to do next was anyone's guess because the plan only extended to 2008.

Are we in the middle of his next 5-year plan?
It can only excite every Manly fan from hereon in.

Des is right up there with Bennett and Bellamy and IMO more important to us than any player signings.
Just the same lets hope by June we have both Des and Will tied up to Manly for a extended period.

lismore_fan said:
As explained to the fans at a post-Brisbane game by Grant Meyer:
Des had a 5-year plan in 2004. From getting into the final 8, to making the semis in 2007 and making the GF in 2008.

2007 was a bonus, making the GF and winning the GF, although planned some 5 years previous, was a golden bonus. What to do next was anyone's guess because the plan only extended to 2008.

Are we in the middle of his next 5-year plan?
It can only excite every Manly fan from hereon in.

I was howled down for this suggestion in 2009.

IMO the rebuild should start from 1 season after your GF appearance/win

After that, your players prices increase and you start to loose your older players as such it gets hard to maintain a topline side. So you need to start bringing the younger guys through from there.

One great thing about the AFL draft is that you are never up the top for more than 3 years and never down the bottom for 3 years. The Salary cap has a similar affect.

But yes we are of course in a rebuilding phase and IMO if we keep a few key players, namely the Stewarts, our halves, Bhurer and a few others together, we should expect another premiership within 3 years or at least a GF appearance after 3 years

I think its a credit to des that we have only missed the finals once and that was in his first season.

I agree with Pontian. I also think keeping Des would be important to our hopes of retaining a lot of our young guns.

Des is one of the most underrated coaches. I think NSW should have picked him instead of sticky anyday.

I remember many on here bagging him around 2005 to 2007. Some thought he was too risk averse, would not give the young guys ago etc.

Garts said:
I remember many on here bagging him around 2005 to 2007. Some thought he was too risk averse, would not give the young guys ago etc.

Don't forget though Garts that last year was really the first year he started using the young guys and that was because he was forced to due to injuries etc. This year he used them from round 1 and they proved to him what we have known since 09: we have young guys coming through that are the future of our club. Give them a shot. He has, and now we're 5 from 7.

Yep, great news.

Des is thoroughly Maroon & White and has proven himself in the coashing ranks.
I like most of what I see of him, by & large he seems to act professionally and well in public, and I believe he has earned and deserves a high level of respect from MWSE players and most staff & supporters.

Good on you Des!

Jono said:
Garts said:

Don't forget though Garts that last year was really the first year he started using the young guys and that was because he was forced to due to injuries etc. This year he used them from round 1 and they proved to him what we have known since 09: we have young guys coming through that are the future of our club. Give them a shot. He has, and now we're 5 from 7.

He did not use them in previous years as we had no one who was ready. Name me one young player who has left in the last 5 years as they were not given a shot at Manly that has gone on to be successful in the NRL? I cannnot think of one. Des was never against youth, we just never had anyone good enough. If they were good enough he would give them a shot, i.e. Foran, Hopoate, Oldfield etc.

On Des, I'd like to see less of the 'flying under the radar' stuff and more promotion. The mumbling and incoherent answers to questions irritates me and I was one who thought he should have brought in more younger guys in 09/10. Then again, I was critical of Orford's short kicking game as well, I remember raising this at a coach's meeting with fans and was basically dismissed by the Great One (yes, the club held them once). What would I know.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4