News: Give a good old boy a go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<hr />MANLY skipper Matt Orford believes Blues selectors could do no worse than turn back the clock and either pick him or fellow veteran half Brett Kimmorley for the final State of Origin match in Brisbane this month.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4041-give-a-good-old-boy-a-go.html">Read the full article</a>

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/breaking-news-sport/orford-still-keen-for-origin-chance-20090630-d38p.html

Manly's NRL premiership defence is back on track thanks largely to the form of skipper Matt Orford.

The reigning Dally M medallist has issued a timely reminder to NSW selectors with the Blues' No.7 jersey seemingly once more up for grabs.

Major representative honours is the one glaring omission on Orford's CV, with only three City Origin appearances to his name.

But the Sea Eagles halfback says he's still keen to play State of Origin footy if given the chance.

"I've always stuck my hand up and always wanted to play," Orford said on Tuesday.

"It's been a goal of mine to play Origin, but my club football and winning premierships, that's always been my No.1 goal.

"To play for your state and your country is always a massive honour and I've never hidden away from that.

"I've just never been in their plans and that's just the way it goes."

The 31-year-old wouldn't say he was the top candidate should selectors decide to axe maligned incumbent Peter Wallace, nor did he even seem to think the Brisbane halfback should get the chop for game three.

"Sometimes you've got to stick with those things. There's always going to be tough times in Origin but they've got to stay solid," Orford said.

"You are going up against this quality Queensland team and everybody needs to be aware of that."

Orford will be facing up to another Origin hopeful in veteran Bulldogs halfback Brett Kimmorley on Monday, and the Manly playmaker said age should not be an issue for selectors when they do make their decisions.

"He's probably in career-best form," Orford said of 32-year-old Kimmorley.

"There's no doubt that Noddy's going to want to play another great game like he did last week and put his hand up for Origin.

"If you've been on big stages before - he's been in premierships, he's played for Australia, he's played Origin - it (age) doesn't really matter.

"But there's other quality sevens out there that they can look at so, regardless of age, if you're in form you should be looked at."

© 2009 AAP SMH LeagueHQ

News Article link said:
\"the ex-Storm general said\"

Why call Orford that now after all this time at Manly now?

Jethro link said:
Why call Orford that now after all this time at Manly now?

He's obviously in with a decent shot then.

Both possible NSW saviours in halfback, both ex storm, can't let that slide by now any publicity is better than none.

Well they couldn't be any worse than Wallace. Although I did read he played with busted ribs which will explain his reluctance to run the ball, in fact I don't remember him running it at all. I don't see Orford or Kimmorely as the answer, better off going with Mullen or even Soward in my opinion.

I will admit it, and I said it to Dan; i thought wallace was a good choice before origin and thought he could even get the captaincy, he is an ALF (agressive little ****). But watching origin he just wasn't good enough. The problem is that we always had an inexperienced halves combination with a rookie hooker and a lame duck for fullback.

In hindsight, it should have been (Anasta or Barret)+Wallace or Kimorely+Campese. Infact Andrew johns should of been teaching the halves how to step off there right foot and then kick the ball.... That is what i remember clearly about his comeback game, after Price charged down three in the first game, he didn;t touch johns in the second because all he did was step away from Price. I would even like to have seen hayne at 5/8th, running at some tired queensland defenders.

Hayne should be the fullback no matter what, if they want to play gidley out of position so be it.
Both Ox or Kimmorley would do a half decent job as long as the forwards stepped up to the task and got them on the front foot, no N.S.W half is good enough with a team going backward.
N.S.W should just think to next year and hope for the best. The series is lost, what do they have to lose.

Wallace was much better last year when we had a decent leader and captain in the team and close to the play..........

NSW should first focus on getting a real leader and it should go with a number 6, 7 or 9

01. Hayne
02. Monaghan
03. Lyon
04. Jennings
05. Williams
06. Barrett / Campese
07. Orford
08. Poore
09. Ennis
10. Bailey
11. Hindmarsh
12. Stewart
13. O'Donnell

14. Wing
15. Kite
16. Perry
17. Watmough

Yep Origin is forgotten about already for me. Couldnt care less who plays in a game which means nothing. Just hope that not many Eagles players are picked. Actually I wouldnt even mind if Dessie pulled rank and gave any of our boys who are selected a week off against the Dragons and pulled them out of Origin 3.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4