News: Fans hand out a $25m war chest

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
eagle-rock08 link said:
[quote author=SeaEagleRock8 link=topic=182472.msg252190#msg252190 date=1266539544]
[quote author=eagle-rock08 link=topic=182472.msg252185#msg252185 date=1266537625]
I'd like to be a member but where is the value for me?

I live (exist) in the Newcastle area -been a Manly fan for over forty years.

I may get down to Brookie once a year if that.

So a multi-game pass is worthless to me.  When I can sit in front of the box turn off the sippid commentary and watch manly each week with abeer  in my hna

The club should put together and market a package for out of towners to intice membership.

If they do have an outer towner package I dont know about it and it hasn't therefore been marketed properly.

My thoughts a basic membership of around $25 - $50 get some fan gear and a 10% dicount on the games I attend.  With that I'dlook at being a member to help the club.  (Just a thought.)

from mwse site:

"Maroon Membership
Do you love the Sea Eagles and want to show your support for the team but can't get to the game? Well Maroon Sea Eagles membership is for you. Perfect for fans who live interstate, or outside of Sydney, Maroon membership is the perfect supporter membership.

The Maroon Sea Eagles membership comes with the full range of membership benefits including access to pre-purchase periods for NSW State of Origin, International, Home Semi-Final, Semi Final and Grand Final tickets – PLUS FREE entry into the Sea Eagles first home game at Brookvale in 2010 7

All the benefits of Sea Eagles Membership
$69"

e_r08 that is only $19 more than you said you would pay. You could look at it as a donation but there are also some benefits attached as you can see.

Fans' attitudes about joining as members won't change overnight. AFL clubs are way ahead of us in this regard but when you look at them the benefits to the club are pretty significant, so it does seem the way of the future.

[/quote]

Points out some things doesnt it, NOT WELL PUBLICISED - NOT WELL MARKETTED - DIDN'T KNOW IT EXISTED

Maybe this should be taken up by the Manly Marketing people.
[/quote]

I have been a member for 3 years from over here and never really had any trouble finding out about it tbh, it is plastered all over the official site

Word. One trip to the official site and a slight browse in the Membership area and it's easy to see.

I played in that Poker comp the other night where Choc and G Stewart played. That'd be awesome if they could do sh*t like that more often only for members. It probably wasn't even those two playing, but still a pretty sweet idea. Shame I'm such a noob at Poker.

Volley link said:
Word. One trip to the official site and a slight browse in the Membership area and it's easy to see.

I played in that Poker comp the other night where Choc and G Stewart played. That'd be awesome if they could do sh*t like that more often only for members. It probably wasn't even those two playing, but still a pretty sweet idea. Shame I'm such a noob at Poker.

Exactly. It's little benfits the club can put on which is a minimal cost.  Player exposure is something that Souths do very well (a percentage of their membership packages were hand delivered by players!), and its good economies of scale at work here too.
Was the poker thing at the leagues club? if so, i'm sure something could be negotiated there for cheapie drinks or whatever. Leverage what you have manly!!

Jethro link said:
I still think that they should have an option as to whether you want to have all of the extras (hats, lanyards etc.) to reduce your membership costs. They would even save money on postage as well. Me personally, as an interstate fan, I would like to see a low cost package that is basically a donation to the club without all of the extras and that only gives you membership recognition.

I'm in a similar situation Jethro, going to most games from Ballina is cost prohibitive, I would be happy to pay $50 just to feel as though I'm contributing. I have no need for caps or lanyards although I still keep my grandmothers membership badge/keyring for sentimental reasons. I feel the keyring/badge maybe something that may appeal to a lot of away supporters.
Especially an old fart like me.

I personally think the club is going a long way towards improving and increasing memberships on many various levels:-

1. They have attained funding to improve the virtual experience at Brookvale Oval. This would have been no mean feat. Bob Reilly, Grant Mayer, Scott Penn, Max Delmege and co. have down wonderful work in this area.

Yes, it is also done to attain more revenue, but why not? If we had state of the art facilities ALA Suncorp, Skilled Stadium or the one to be built in Melbourne, we would most definitely have almost 10,000 fans being members in my opinion;

2. Simplification of the membership systems and payment systems. I personally believe that year on year, whoever is managing the membership packages, is taking feedback on board, utilising best practices, and is enhancing and improving all aspects of memberships;

3. Transparency. Regardless of what questions people have, there are those at the club like Bob Reilly and Vidmar who will always be absolutely pro-active, open, and honest about the pro's and con's of any membership in comparison to another;

4. Performance on the field. Obviously, performance on the field relates to more crowds, which in turn registers an improved atmosphere, which leads to an attractive product that people will invest their funds into. Regardless of what I may whinge about, we have created a culture of winning, and a culture of high expectation - hence year on year increase in mean crowd sizes from around 2005 (guessing that statistic).

This should ALWAYS relate to increased membership, but we should all remember, (and in my opinion), Manly are demographically located in a very fickle environment. It's always going to be a hard sell.

Simply put, we are a private school area, trying to sell a public school product (and I apologise for the simplicity of that connotation).

That being said, I personally believe it is a job well done. Kudos to the media and marketing group of the club in my opinion. 99.99% of the time, we are in the media for the right reasons - and we are very prominent - especially in the local demographic.

5. The League's Club. Yes, like the ground (Brookvale Oval), it is a dinosaur. BUT, once again, the club (Scott Penn) has a vested interest in improving this aspect of the fans experience.

6. Affinity with the fans. Look at the website. Fans can get online, and ask their favorite player a question or two. They can look at video. They have access to the players. They can have access to some officials. They send out up to date e-mails. They get benefits and reductions in ticketing, merchandise etc.

I personally believe that every person that can afford to do so, anyone who gets any entertainment out of the team, should invest some money in the product that is provided to make them happy. Put your money where your mouth is I reckon. People can bag me as much as they like about an opinion I have on the team - but you know what - I'll always be a season ticketed member...regardless of how upset and bad I may think some things are going.

Man, this post is just so not like me ! YUCK !! Hahahahahaha

nita link said:
[quote author=Volley link=topic=182472.msg252210#msg252210 date=1266555037]

Exactly. It's little benfits the club can put on which is a minimal cost.  Player exposure is something that Souths do very well (a percentage of their membership packages were hand delivered by players!), and its good economies of scale at work here too.
Was the poker thing at the leagues club? if so, i'm sure something could be negotiated there for cheapie drinks or whatever. Leverage what you have manly!!
[/quote]

Nah as Kiwi said it was just online.

There were too many non-Manly fans on there dribbling sh*t for my liking and probably winning the signed Manly jerseys.

Now here's on for Vidmar.  I was discussing this very issue with my family Manly members this morning and one of them said to me that the problem she has in renewing is a time thing.  Two of my daughters gave conflicting thoughts on the issue.  One said she received a call at work asking her to renew.  She did so over the phone using a credit card.  The other one hadn't got any call and hasn't renewed. (she will)  The point is,  maybe the cold call will prompt renewal as most people carry a credit card and will use it if asked. 

Certainly not stalking you DSM5 (I was typing this as you came on line....)

Not sure why the club didn't manage to contact your other daughter but if you are OK in sending me her details via PM I'll make sure that she is contacted on Monday?

Re the other posts on this thread...

There have been a number of positives regarding membership packages over the last few seasons.

Remembering that the Sea Eagles membership team was initially run by a guy who was a web master by trade and moved in to the role when Alan Webster moved on the membership  team has evolved and grown and has improved considerably  season by season which has been reflected by the growing number of fans that are now becoming members.

Aaron and Nat at the club do a fantastic job with limited resources, time and funding whilst also “wearing a number of other hats” in the lead up to and during the season.

Fan days are a regular fixture on the calendar, player functions after Sunday arvo games and at away venues such as the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast to promote the club are well attended and help spread the word.

Common marketing techniques such as data capture of people’s details from a number of sources to allow for a concerted promotion of the benefits of the membership take place and using the shared resources of the NRL assists these efforts.

A personalised email from Des to thousands of people to ask what the club could do to improve memberships or tailor them to the different needs of our disparate fan base was introduced recently and was well received.

Changes to the structure of membership to a more “user pays” model eg making away travel an add on so that out of towner’s don’t need to pay for that aspect, one game ticketed membership for people who can’t get to the game on a regular basis but still want to support the club financially has also been popular.

The introduction of flexi passes for people who can’t commit the time or money for all 12 home games had a big take up especially with people from out of town.

Reduced ticket prices for members at away games is an initiative that adds value to a membership pack as well as discounted merchandise from the club and cheaper entry to club events such as the season launch means that for as little as $69 fans can become members and offset that with savings elsewhere.

Max Krilich’s missus Irene has been great at hitting the phone to encourage people to renew and on the back of a recent “member get member” campaign fans have been very helpful in assisting the club promote membership to other fans.

The NRL have been fantastic in the support of the clubs with a wide range of initiatives including all manner of surveys, promotions, advertising and sharing of IP to assist each membership manager.

The growing number of Travelling Supportahs and other initiatives helps spread the word and educates people on the need for them to get involved in whatever way they can to support the team both on and off the field.

The new team merchandise store that will be open soon (opposite the entrance to the leagues club) should hopefully allow easier access to fans and see an increase in sales in that area but will also allow the club to promote memberships to the fans that visit it (especially on game day)

Yes, the topic may have been “done to death” on here but each time it seems to add another few members to the Sea Eagles and/or the Football Club so well worth being repeated.

Ultimately it is up to each and every supporter as to what they do with their cash but apathy is often the biggest factor in why some people don’t sign up and that is a very difficult hurdle to overcome.

I’m constantly surprised by the “what’s in it for me” attitude towards membership from some people.

The answer is simple – It means that you help protect the future of our club and allow us to attract and fund a team and the infrastructure needed to be competitive in the top flight of the NRL . 

vidmar link said:
A personalised email from Des to thousands of people to ask what the club could do to improve memberships or tailor them to the different needs of our disparate fan base was introduced recently and was well received.

I liked that one, especially when the email was addressed to my last name. The fact I'm lucky enough to have a first name as a last name should be irrelevant.

Manly's membership situation is perhaps effected by the situation where there is the membership of "Manly" and membership of the "Football Club". 

It would be preferable to have our dual membership situation sorted out, with Membership of "Manly" being both membership of the FC and the playing entity.  But to achieve it requires the goodwill and cooperation of all related to Manly.

As for the generality of Manly's low membership, I would make this comment.

Someone once said to me:  "Sell to the classes, live with the masses.  Sell to the masses, live with the classes." 

Manly supporters are the "classes".  It is hard to part them from their dollar without very good reason. 

Matabele link said:
Manly's membership situation is perhaps effected by the situation where there is the membership of \"Manly\" and membership of the \"Football Club\". 

It would be preferable to have our dual membership situation sorted out, with Membership of \"Manly\" being both membership of the FC and the playing entity.  But to achieve it requires the goodwill and cooperation of all related to Manly.

So very true Mata...We'll hopefully get there soon

Volley...is that your first name or your surname? lol
If you want to send me your details by pm then I'll get them updated on the Sea Eagles database or have you flagged as "Do not Contact" if preferred?

Cheers
Vid

I couldn't be bothered doing my membership online so just made one call. Easy to renew my own membership, do it for my dad and two new ones for Princess 1 and Princess 3. I did get the Des email, the phone call and the phone call was dead easy for an old phogie like me.

for those who ask whats in it for me regarding membership have a think about this,

how much enjoyment have you had over the years being a manly supporter and watching games either on tv or at the grounds.
then go back ten years when for two empty seasons there was no manly.

reason enough to part with 69 bucks i say. $69 to ensure your further enjoyment for years to come plus you get a few benefits

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=182472.msg252197#msg252197 date=1266544965]
[quote author=The Gronk link=topic=182472.msg252188#msg252188 date=1266538795]
I refuse to become a member until seat C23 in the Jane Try stand is painted orange. 

What about if we can organise you a date with snake?
[/quote]

With Nicci and Gronk so keen it suggests to me that Snake should go to the highest bidder. A new revenue stream.

Instead of a reverse auction the more appropriate name can be a perverse auction.
[/quote]

I don't want to date Brett, just root him. 

Cambo link said:
for those who ask whats in it for me regarding membership have a think about this,

how much enjoyment have you had over the years being a manly supporter and watching games either on tv or at the grounds.
then go back ten years when for two empty seasons there was no manly.

reason enough to part with 69 bucks i say. $69 to ensure your further enjoyment for years to come plus you get a few benefits

Maybe so Cambo but how much of that $69 (yeah, good one, let's pick on the out of town and interstate people by the way
mad0248.gif
) are they (the club) wasting on supplying hats, lanyards, stickers, etc and postage of said items when some people may not want that sort of thing every year or at all.  What I'm saying is that those sort of things should be an optional extra when taking out or renewing your membership.  If you want those sorts of things then you pay extra for them.  It's as simple as that.  How much then would a person have to pay to the club to give the club the same end value (i.e. the $69 minus the value of hats, lanyards, stickers, postage, etc)?  I'm sure that the club wouldn't end up with much and I'm sure that people would probably like to donate more than the end value in the end just for member recognition.  Like "manlyborn" from Ballina said in "Reply #24" to this thread "I would be happy to pay $50 just to feel as though I'm contributing."

Jethro – a good point however there are a couple of points re that..The question “what do I get for giving you my dosh?” is of course bandied around and if someone is asked to give (say) $50 then we will again face the same situation? (even if there is an opt out of the pack?)

Interestingly, there have been a number of surveys carried out on behalf of the clubs in the NRL over the years and the items making up the packages (and you’ll see most clubs work from a standard offering) are surprisingly well received and wanted by members.

I will pass your comments to the marketing team and get their thoughts and get back to you with any reply?

Of course, a good start in contributing is to log on here and join the Football Club which only costs $25

http://www.manlyleagues.com.au/manly-leagues-club.asp?cid=5

For any new readers or for those who unsure of the role of the Football Club – here you go...

Who is the Football Club?
The Manly-Warringah District Rugby League Football Club first entered the first-grade competition in 1947. For most of the last 60 or so years, the Football Club was the official owner of the team that participated in the NSWRL and ARL competitions.

In the last 10 years, with the Super League War, the Northern Eagles joint venture, and now the advent of private ownership with the Delmege & Penn families, who have brought so much to the Sea Eagles, a lot has changed!
But what hasn’t changed is this: The Football Club is 100% run by its members.

That means that it has an elected Board. Anyone who has been a member for the required time can vote in and stand for elections. Right now, we have a great Board, made up of passionate, life-long Manly fans from a variety of backgrounds, all volunteering their time to support the Sea Eagles.

What will the Football Club do over the next few years?

The Football Club wants members to continue their rightful place as part-owners of the Sea Eagles, so our #1 priority over the next 5 years is to fund the purchase of new shares in the NRL franchise.

This is not about buying back existing shares from the Penn & Delmege families. It’s actually about new capital that will help secure the financial future of the team.

At the same time, the Football Club will work to preserve the things that we all care so passionately about: Brookvale Oval, our colours, our emblem and our name.

We’re not just about defending the great history & traditions of this Club. We want members to play a central role in the future of the Sea Eagles.

We have recently purchased 100,000 new shares in the Sea Eagles with our existing funds; our goal is to purchase even more over the next few years. Again, we want to inject new capital, and help continue the rebirth of the Sea Eagles that we’ve seen over the past 6 years.

What else does the Football Club do?

Supporting former players: The Football Club also exists to help support former Manly players. Working with the Men of League foundation, the Football Club will provide financial support to former players who are down on their luck. We also help get former players along to home games. We’re also working to promote the Old Boys of Manly to keep the links between current fans and our history.

Functions: the Football Club hosts a number of functions during the year for members, where former players get together with members.

It gives you a great chance to meet the heroes of your youth, as well as talk about what’s happening with today’s stars. For example, before the Titans game, we were joined by Max Krilich, Terry Randall, Cliffy Lyons and several other stars. We’ll be doing more of this in 2010 for home games, in the new Sports Bar at the Leagues Club.

Sea Eagles History: working closely with the Leagues Club, the Football Club will manage the Sea Eagles memorabilia  honouring our life members, our great players, and hosting the amazing memorabilia we’ve collected over the past 60+ years.

How does the Football Club relate to Sea Eagles season ticket membership?

Simple: they’re absolutely complementary to each other. Sea Eagles membership is a great program for supporters to get season tickets for Sea Eagles games, and show their support in the most tangible way possible. We believe that everyone who can get to Sea Eagles games on a regular basis should show their support by buying a Sea Eagles ticket package!

You can join or renew your Sea Eagles package at the Sea Eagles website; we encourage you to do so today:

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/membership-season-tickets.asp

By joining the Football Club, along with purchasing tickets to games, merchandise, and your Sea Eagles package, you’re showing not only that you’re committed to the maroon & white - You’re showing that you want to have a say in the future of the Sea Eagles, and that you’re willing to do something about it!

By working together with our private owners and by injecting new capital into the Sea Eagles, your membership of the Football Club helps build a future every bit as bright as the last 60 years have been.

Vidmar

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7