News: Eagles vow to atone

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'll miss Hall and his 08 bullocking runs, but they were few and far between last year and he was slipping of a few tackles, and maybe it was a good time for him to move on.  Very much like Orford.  I'm very pumped about this season.  The way we've kept out of the papers, and out of most pundits predictions is excellent.  Real low key.  I'm really look forward to us being very competitive from the get go.  A good test on Monday night and I'll also be very interested to see how our new halves go.  Bring it on.  Bay 37?    

All indications point to Foran starting at 7 but it seems Hodkinson will come in later this season from what I have read.  Not sure of the reasoning with that.  If Des does not want 2 inexperienced halves wouldnt you play Hodkinson and Lyon in the halves and Foran in the centres.  Lyon and him can then swap around and ease the 2 young halves into it. 

Look, I'm all for the Lyon / Foran halves combo......I can't see the sense in throwing 2 inexperienced halves together into the NRL cauldron. I know we've had the argument ad nauseum that Foran isn't a "true" halfback, whatever that means, but I'm sure he'll acquit himself more than adequately. We all know Des is pretty conservative, so I'd be surprised if the side named tomorrow doesn't have Lyon in 6 and Foran in 7. If it doesn't work then there will be a chance for Hodgo to prove his stuff later. Regardless of who plays 7, I really can't see us lamenting the loss of Orford to any great extent.

One thing I'm interested in seeing is whether Matt Ballin has done any work on his kicking game during the off season. Sides with dummy halves that can kick (Smith, Farrah, Ennis) will be at an advantage with the enforcement of the "downtown" rule as the chasers will be get that extra jump on those sides that have to go to a first receiver kicker.

Anyway I'm pumped for the start of the season, can't wait for next Monday night. All I'm hoping is that we start the season better than we did last year.......and with a fit Brett Stewart we have to be a good chance of bettering our 0 from 4 effort.

I'm really pumped for it as well and mirror the feelngs of C&C and DSM.
On paper, I would classify our start to the season (1st 5 rds) to be easier than the period just after.
Rd 1-5: Tigers, eels, knights, warriors, sharks
Rd 6-14: Storm, Titans, rabbits, dragons, eels, cowboys, broncos, titans

That start coincides with our new half getting into their stride and sorting out the combinations. Makes for a very interesting and important period. Slow starts are not the end of the world but I don't think we can afford a slow start against that opposition.

I think that our best bet is to return to the power forward game that served us so well in 2007/08. Win the field position contest and then see what Foran / Lyon can do from 30m out.

Ineresting that we don't face the Roosters or the Bulldogs until the last two rounds.

Bradza, you're certainly right about the first five rounds.  This coming Monday nights game will give a pointer to the season.  I want us to be competitive, not just run sidewayshoping for the best and to win games against the obviously poorer teams.  I'll be looking for structure and a plan.  If it's a power game then good, if it's a running game good, but playing to a plan.  And C & C given we had a very poor kicking game last year it certainly will be interesting to see just what Des does with the down-town rule changes.  And to see Brett running around again is a real bonus.  Whatever happens it will be a really fascinating period.  It's been way to long since 08.  Last year best forgotten.   

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6