News: Eagles camp cool on Gallen

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<div class="content-item" />
<p>THE Sea Eagles have distanced themselves from controversial Sharks backrower Paul Gallen who wants out of the Sutherland Shire.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4463-eagles-camp-cool-on-gallen.html">Read the full article</a>

CRONULLA is determined to hang on to restless backrower Paul Gallen -- and the club is determined to avoid the sort of poisonous relationship that developed between the Bulldogs and Willie Mason two years ago.

In 2007 Mason had the remaining two years of his contract torn up after a falling out with Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad and other board members after being denied the chance to compete in a boxing match. The relationship between Mason and the club deteriorated badly over several months. The player was accused of failing to attend sponsor and club functions.

But Sharks CEO Richard Fisk said yesterday the club's relationship with Gallen, while having its moments during the 2009 season, was nowhere near as bad as Mason's with the Bulldogs.

"It's different with Paul because there's no anger coming back from us to him. We've always had pleasant, professional conversations," Fisk said.

Fisk and coach Ricky Stuart were both adamant yesterday that Gallen was going nowhere as his contract runs until the end of 2012.

"We're not shopping him around. He is part of our club for the next three years and we want to continue to build the club around him," Fisk said.

After both Manly and the Wests Tigers said on Monday they would be interested in Gallen for next season, Brisbane also put its hand up yesterday.

"We'd be really interested in sitting down and having a talk with him," Brisbane coach Ivan Henjak said after the Broncos completed their last training session before the Christmas break.

TAB Sportsbet yesterday installed the Sharks as wooden spoon favourite at $5 ahead the Warriors $6, North Queensland and Canberra $7.

Fisk was displeased to see more headlines about Gallen, considering he had met the Test and NSW backrower and his manager David Riolo twice in the past two weeks to work through issues.

Fisk telephoned Gallen yesterday morning.

"I've spoken to him and he was fine. But he was a little upset with what came out today."

Fisk said he did not feel the need to ask Gallen for an assurance he would see out his Sharks contract.

"I didn't even ask him. I don't need to. We just talked and we're both about moving forward."

The interesting comment from Honeywood is that we have no money to spend on players in 2010, yet we had $300K sitting there for Ox?

Does mean we have reduced our budget on players or we have used that money to shore up other players coming off contract?

im sure we could manage one more big signing if we did one of the decending / acending contracts over each year eg pay $250 one year and $300 the next ect

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6