News: Choc's facts of life

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<div id="article" class="module-content" />
<p class="intro">ANTHONY Watmough bounces through life like he bounces out of tackles. He survives on a diet of Red Bull. Electricity companies would love to bottle his energy. His enthusiasm is infectious. On the football field, he acts like a kid in a candy store.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4277-chocs-facts-of-life.html">Read the full article</a>

Nick Walshaw  The Daily Telegraph

MANLY superstar Anthony Watmough has called last drinks on his party-boy image, insisting he is finally ready to take up the mantle left by Sea Eagles icon Steve Menzies.

In a revealing interview with The Daily Telegraph, Watmough has spoken out about his plans to overhaul the bad boy image that has seen him become one of the most divisive athletes in Australian sport.

The Sea Eagles enforcer, who in March was embroiled in a boozey altercation at the Manly Wharf Bar, says he's not only determined to become an NRL role model but wants to fill the void left by the departure of Menzies to England.

"Those days of being the knockabout that's always in mischief, yeah, I'd like to think they're well and truly behind me now,'' Watmough says. "And to have that opportunity to being more of a father figure, more of a role model, is something I'm really relishing.

"I mean, there's nothing better than having little kids coming up to you in the street to say you're their favourite player. I don't ever want to lose that.

"It's something Steve Menzies had for a long, long time and if I can take that mantle and have kids looking up to me ... mate, it's something I'll cherish for the rest of my life.''

Watmough stressed he wanted to win over more than young fans, adding: "This isn't just about having kids look up to me. I mean, their parents ... I want to be sure they're proud of the fact their son or daughter is choosing me as a role model, too.''

Season 2009 has been an outstanding one for Watmough, reviving his NSW Origin career while also winning a Dally M for his efforts in the Sea Eagles' back-row.

But the Narrabeen product says he wants to increase his profile off the paddock and provide young people with the same advice delivered by his parents, John and Dianne.

"Whatever choices I've made in life, my parents have backed me 100 per cent,'' Watmough says. "Of course, they've questioned plenty of things but whatever I chose to do they tried to guide me as best I could. To be honest, I'm only playing first-grade footy because of them.''

Good on him. I really hope he does stay with us and does manage to shake his bad boy image.

He has come a long way. Keep that ego in check Choc. You can see his complete turn-around this year with nearly no unnecessary niggle and just getting on with playing the game quickly.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6