News: Blindside: Lowe's Successor Awaits

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Duff said:
Matabele said:
Duff said:
Seaeagle63 said:
Geoff Toovey would make a Great CEO. Didn't he have something to do with the NRMA a few years back? He was well respected from memory

He's a qualified accountant who was a boardmember for the NRMA.
Accountants are bean counters.

So then why did you edit the bit out of my post that says that?
They aren't managers.

Board members are required to vote on strategic decisions and appoint executives and managers to run the day to day business. Accountants not only count what has happened in the past, but also budget and forecast what is to happen in the future, based on the past on what is going on presently and what hey perceive will happen in the future. A commercial accountant is not the same as your local tax return man.

Chartered accountants are required to develop skills of taking in financial numbers and applying that to real world situations and take into consideration all other external factors. Its what separates chartered accountants from regular accountants. Tooves would understand the operational side of the football club, the financial side of everything. The only thing he may lack is skills in contract negotiations. But who knows, he could use his influence from the NRMA board to find us a corporate major sponsor?

But alas, it is someone from the lower grades.

This is harsh but one thing I have learnt in life, and I have met only one exception, is that no matter what level an accountant is, from Chartered all the way down, their thinking is the exact opposite of people who know how to build businesses. In every way they look to break up working solutions so that they are easier to count and analyse, stuffing up operational efficiencies and successes. It is hard wired as a result of their training. IMO a certain candidate put forward is definitely not what the club needs or should be looking for. Vision and leadership; decisiveness and persistency; the ability to see opportunities; understanding marketing, promotion and sales; knowing the customer wants and needs (sponsors and all other stake holders); networking, motivation and people skills; are all far more important than financials.

ManlyBacker said:
This is harsh but one thing I have learnt in life, and I have met only one exception, is that no matter what level an accountant is, from Chartered all the way down, their thinking is the exact opposite of people who know how to build businesses. In every way they look to break up working solutions so that they are easier to count and analyse, stuffing up operational efficiencies and successes. It is hard wired as a result of their training. IMO a certain candidate put forward is definitely not what the club needs or should be looking for. Vision and leadership; decisiveness and persistency; the ability to see opportunities; understanding marketing, promotion and sales; knowing the customer wants and needs (sponsors and all other stake holders); networking, motivation and people skills; are all far more important than financials.

A persons contacts and motivations are not defined by their profession. My CEO is a chartered accountant, who started his company 6 years ago in an industry he had no idea about, with another person who new the industry but had no business sense. The company is now multinational with the bulk of its income coming from overseas. He is a person who breaks things down, but not to count and analyse, that is just a poor business move, who would wreck something that works just so that its easier to count and analyse? A CEO who would allow a finance team to do that is just weak. A good ceo has a good understanding of every facet of the business, breaks it down to identify inefficencies, gets rid of them and makes eash sector efficient. If he doesn't have marketing expertise, he hires marketing executives to run that part of the business and defines their goals and is able to anaylise ther effectiveness. He doesn't get too invloved with anything, rather knows about everything and digs deeper where needed. A ceo needs to have a vision of where to take their company and how they will do it. They are strategic thinkers and planners. They base their strategies on analysis of the past and identification of the future possibilities.

Tooves fits that bill perfectly, he probably lack marketing skills, but thats why you employ media managers, marketing directors, etc.

jabroni said:
Tooves fits that bill perfectly, he probably lack marketing skills, but thats why you employ media managers, marketing directors, etc.

There will always be exceptions to my life experiences :)

Ryan said:
Question: who selects the CEO?

You know the answer to that. The Board does. They may hire a company to assist with the selection process but it their responsibility and ultimately they are responsible! If you get my drift.

ManlyBacker said:

Precisely. Thank you MB.

Ryan said:
Question: who selects the CEO?

Most recently, Max Delmege (with a little bit of help). It will be different this time around.

Look guys I get the undertone here, I'll put my CV through next week, cheers for the confidence....hahahaha

I took my manly hat off and asked myself again about tooves. The question i asked myself was "would tooves get the gig as a ceo of any other club?" and the answer would more than likely be no.

And the report of it being a lower grade player at a rival code also says no to tooves.

I think you position has already been filled Dan, dont waste your money on the postage

Matabele said:
Most recently, Max Delmege (with a little bit of help). It will be different this time around.

Can the penns get their man (not mayer) over the line ? Doesn't look like it if the sea eagles are chasing this other guy.

People are making a lot of assumptions about Toovs ability to do the CEO job if offered. I'm guessing none of you have dealt with him in a business sense, I can understand people thinking he mightn't be but your opinions are hardly based on any actual evidence.

Masked Eagle said:
People are making a lot of assumptions about Toovs ability to do the CEO job if offered. I'm guessing none of you have dealt with him in a business sense, I can understand people thinking he mightn't be but your opinions are hardly based on any actual evidence.

I have met him numerous times and there is no doubt he is a great guy and loves the club. He was wanted by the Board after Grant left and turned it down. He may have changed in the last year but deep down I am guessing he doesn't see himself in that role because he likes who he is and the life he leads without the massive pressure and having to change the way he is to fulfill the role. If he does get it he will have my support like Lowe and we see whether he can deliver. I don't believe he is the front candidate.

No to Toovs guys. As Dan has alluded to, being smart, or having a degree doesn't necessarily relate to being a successful CEO. I know some REALLY intelligent people, who have no idea in the real world.

We need to acquire an arms length character, who can bring in a different element to the club (that being sales, marketing, initiative, drive, creative etc).

These are all facets I saw in Mayer (sorry DSM5). He ran other business very well, turning their P&L's around, as we saw here at Manly in his tenure.

Our next CEO doesn't need to know about rugby league but he does need to know about the business of rugby league, that's where grant Mayer was so strong he understood. He knew it was all about emotion he knew how to play the media for it to advantageous for the club.

We need someone like that, DES, crusher and football dept know rugby league we just need a CEO who can give them the resources to be competitive and keep the cash register ticking over and tbh since 2009 there's are been a lot of cracks open up In the way our club operates, the membership dept was a joke after Azza left lucky now again we seem to have someone in there that knows what she's doing but it shouldn't have taken 12 months.

David Perry is said to be the one that we are after as our new CEO,. He is currently with the dragons

David Perry
Position : Executive Manager - Partnerships Email : [email protected] Phone : 0418588229

Biography
Education
• Graduated from Marist College Nth Shore in 1986
• Completed Diploma in Marketing/Business-2002/2003
• Completed Various Sales and Presentation courses

Career Profile
• 1987-90- ANZ Bank - Various Roles
• 1991-97- Hotel Management Roles between Sydney and Perth (Travelled Overseas)
• 1997-2000- Westpac Bank- holding various positions from settlements officer in the money market to FX dealer from 1997 – 2000.
• 2000- 2008- J Boag and Son Brewing-NSW State Manager.
• Joined the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2008

Has some potential sponsorship conections if he has left his previous employers on good terms

Although David Perry appears to have had no previous connection to the Club as a player, as the article suggests, unlike Teevan and Ponissi.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6