News: Angel joins Sea Eagle board

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<p>THE Manly Sea Eagles have created history, appointing two women to its board - the first club in the National Rugby League do to so. </p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4036-angel-joins-sea-eagle-board.html">Read the full article</a>

The Olympian has replaced Philip Dean and is the new Manly Warringah District Football Club representative.

Good to see that this guy is no longer on the board, how can a bloke who couldnt cut it as an employee of the club get a gig on the board?

Paris Hilton could replace Dean and do a better job.

But I'm delighted Melinda got the gig.  I heard her interviewed about it on the ABC and she's really excited, asked a lot of good questions and pointed out sponsorship has been her lifeline throughout her career.

Quite a bit of good news on the Board front lately.  Cliffy's rattling of the sabre has had the desired effect.

My guess Mata is that this was probably all pre-agreed and depended on Grant stepping down. I picked up that good changes were coming by the upbeat words Scott used right after Board meeting (when they accepted Grant's resignation).

NOT many people could get away with calling rugby league Immortal Bob Fulton a sheep dog, but former athletics star Melinda Gainsford-Taylor did just that.

Reminiscing on just where her love affair with Manly all started, Gainsford-Taylor, who grew up in Narromine, said her passion was ingrained at an early age.

"Even though I'm a country girl, my father supported Manly. So much so that we had sheep dogs named Bozo (Fulton) and Crusher (former Sea Eagle Noel Cleal),'' Gainsford-Taylor told The Sunday Telegraph.

"And when I was training as a kid, they would race alongside with me screaming, `Go Bozo, Go Crusher'. I didn't have a choice really; I love Manly, it's as simple as that.''

It's that passion which saw the former Commonwealth Games medallist appointed as a director to the Manly football club board last week. Gainsford-Taylor's appointment continues the clean-up of bloodshed at the embattled club over the past six months.

Injecting immediate respect as a former track champion, and brining commercial profile, Gainsford-Taylor is also the second female in a week to join the Manly board after co-owner Rick Penn stood down last Monday and was replaced by lawyer Kerry Chrysiliou.

Gainsford-Taylor, a mother of two (Nicholas, 6, and Gabriella, 4) and a member of the Eagles Angels since 2002, will replace Phil Dean. "Being on the football board, I'm coming from the football side of things, so that's all about the supporters,'' she said.

"We've got our wonderful players but really what makes rugby league so big is the people that support and turn up each week. It's important not to forget that.''

Manly leagues and football club chairman Bob Reilly said: "There's some really big changes for Manly at the moment, but Mel is a fantastic ambassador not for the Manly club but for sport in general.''

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25700369-5016360,00.html

I had the interview with Melinda on ABC last night and was also impressed. Being once involved with Athletics, I know her contribution there and she has a lot to offer. My impression is that she will do what is best for Manly.

Most impressive was her view that what happens in the board room should stay there and not be out in the public domain. That would be a nice change!!

Mel was also interviewed by Andrew Moore on 2GB on Sunday night. She managed to come across as very polished but with a sense of humour and common sense. It was great to not hear a single um or arrr from a sports person in five minute interview.
After hearing this interview I felt very confident regarding her ability to handle the task and add to the organisation.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2