News: An Open Letter to David Gallop and the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
To whom it may concern

I am writing to express my disappointment, anger, and ultimately disgust over the double standards your organisation continues to show, and has once again shown in the case of Brett Stewart being suspended.

I know you have put out a release about the code of conduct, but once again, that again shows the hypocritical actions of your organistaion. Apparently your decision has nothing to do with whether he is guilty or not with the case, it is due to his consumption of alcohol and the subsequent actions that came from that, if so then I will be watching very closely to see if this applies to every other NRL player this season. I never saw this stance taken against Tim Smith for example last season, whose numerous alcohol related incidents were reported rightly. Also the stance was not taken when Craig Gower faced similar allegations years ago

There is supposed to be a thing called Innocent until proven guilty. Where is that in this case ? If you want to use Stewart's high profile in the game, and the role you have chosen for him this season as an excuse, then explain to me how, after 6 years of an absolutely clean record, and the great role he has played in the community mentoring youngsters, His word, and the fact he has denied these allegations, holds no bearing on your decision making ? His actions in the past were enough to get him the profile you were quite happy to push, yet these same character attributes have been shunted to the side in this case

Over the past couple of seasons, I have watched Anthony Laffranchi and Michael Crockett play on despite the same allegations. Where was your organisation then ? I also watched the finals last season, and Karmichael Hunt, Sam Thaiday and Darius Boyd play in an important finals match, under similar circumstances involving alcohol, and allegations from a female. So please explain to me why you are not a bunch of hypocrites in suspending Stewart after these previous examples, I am keen to know that.

I can see 1 reason that may explain it, Warriors and Broncos were both Super League clubs, and the Titans were a love child of the NRL/News Ltd. Manly were not a side that sold out, so is this suspension still part of News Ltd frustration at their failure of a competition named Super League ?

I am an overseas NRL fan, and at least twice a year I fly over and attend NRL matches and buy merchandice. This current stand by the NRL would have me considering stopping that, because at the moment I am not wanting to give the NRL any of my hard earned at all. However what will have me coming back is the love for my club and the enjoyment I get from watching them, and they still deserve my support and money, it is just a shame that a slice of that will end up in the pockets of the NRL after this episode.

I understand the need to keep those pockets full though, because if/when Brett Stewart is found not guilty of these charges, and you guys have stopped him fulfulling his job based on allegations, he should definitely be entitled for some compensation, as should the club that had a star player taken away from them on these grounds

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/General-NRL/an-open-letter-to-david-gallop-and-the-nrl.html">Read the full article</a>

The reason I put it in as news is that I am happy for the media to see it and it will be open to anyone who goes to http://www.silvertails.net

It's an open letter, so feel free to do with it what you wish. Just double check with Kiwi Eagle

well said Kiwi Eagle, echoes my thoughts exactly. I fired an e-mail off to NRL On Fox, but as it supported Brett I don't expect it would ever see the light of day

Onya KE. If only you could think for a second that fans are listened to. On top of the rubbish today there is still all the issues that have never been resolved;
- full-season schedule so fans can plan months ahead with flights and accomodation (instead of the crazy system where it is a pick-athon for games by TV interests)
- which might see the scheduling of more afternoon games
- not capitulating to News so that the funds received for our game/product is no longer a joke compared to other sports
- which leads to increased payments to players and clubs

I could go on as the list is large, but it is bloody obvious that no one is listening. Most of the issues were raised by the fans forum day held last year and quite plainly shoved into the never-to-be-opened filing cabinet.

People can feel free to do whatever they want with it

Was hard to write without swearing haha. I just wish I had spotted the Cherrington example beforehand to really ran home the point.

MB, there was actually an interview with Gallop last weekend in RLW, where he said 1 of his goals was full season scheduling, and that will be part of the next TV deal or something

DVS Matt link said:
Amazing Kiwi. Love it!

(from nita.. still can't work out the log in thing!)

What do you mean work it out.

Just login with your forum details at the top of the page under the banner and above the news ticker

Here is the reply I received

thanks for your email. I can appreciate your feelings over this
situation. Brett has been an outstanding ambassador for the game in the past
and that makes this scenario even more difficult.

The fact is that the sexual assault allegations against Brett have nothing to do
with the NRL's actions in suspending him. The suspension (and the fine issued
to Manly) are due to Brett's intoxication at the Manly season launch.

I understand you drawing comparisons to past events. The NRL endeavours to
evaluate every case on its individual merits and the case involving Brett
Stewart is especially complicated given the events occurred in the same week as
he officially launched the season on behalf of all NRL players.

The fact that he breached the NRL Code of Conduct is not in dispute. In most of
these cases is it left to the clubs to provide a suitable response to those
actions of its players, which is monitored by the NRL. In this instance it was
felt that the Manly club did not provide a suitable response and the NRL
acted.

It must be noted that the criminal charges pending against Brett Stewart are an
entirely different matter and in no way does this suspension relate to that
issue. That is a legal matter and in the hands of the court. As you have noted,
the facts of that matter are disputed and the only arena for them to be
determined is the court and that is what we have to wait for.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Caroline Blake
Information Services Officer
E: [email protected]

National Rugby League Limited
The Entertainment Quarter
Level 2, 215 Bent Street
Moore Park NSW 1363
GPO Box 3498, Sydney NSW 2001
www.nrl.com

Kiwi Eagle link said:

The fact is that the sexual assault allegations against Brett have nothing to do

acted.

Kind regards,

Caroline Blake

Level 2, 215 Bent Street
Moore Park NSW 1363
www.nrl.com

Bollocks!

You should reply back and say

Without the allegations against brett, would him being refused service have been brought to light?

if the answer to that is no, the matters are directly related

Kiwi Eagle link said:

acted.

Kind regards,

Caroline Blake

Level 2, 215 Bent Street
Moore Park NSW 1363
www.nrl.com
Go and Get ****ed

so its a crime for the face of the game to be refused service but the captain of australia can crash tackle a bloke and we all just laugh about it

I swear they can all go **** em selves

Standard letter.  It will be interesting to see how they handle alcohol related indiscretions from other players throughout the season.  From this response it appears the NRL will have to determine a 'suitable' response list that clubs must follow or they will have to intervene, as they have in Brett's case.  i.e staggering drunk; one week.  falling over drunk, two weeks, passing out drunk on the lawns of Glebe Police Station, three weeks, singing lewd songs while drunk, four weeks and so on.  Gallop is such a fool.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4