News: ‘It’s a stupid rule’: Gus fumes after Bulldogs hit with salary cap slap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EaglesDontTweet

Bencher
Premium Member

‘It’s a stupid rule’: Gus fumes after Bulldogs hit with salary cap slap​

Tyson Otto March 7, 2023

Bulldogs football boss Phil Gould has torched the NRL after a revelation his club has quietly been whacked for a salary cap matter.
Bulldogs boss Phil Gould has torched the NRL after his club was quietly hit hard by a salary cap ruling.

The former Panthers supremo on Monday night responded to a report Canterbury is being forced to carry some of retired forward Josh Jackson’s salary in 2023.

The former captain surprised the game when he announced his retirement seemingly from out of the blue in October with a full season to run on his contract.

It was rumoured at the time the club was facing a dangerous salary cap crunch. According to reports at the time, Jackson’s retirement would have eased the squeeze on the Bulldogs’ 2023 cap by around $650,000.

Gould was at the time forced to address rumblings the club had pushed Jackson to retire to free up cap space.

Jackson played 241 games for the club across 11 seasons and said his decision to retire came down to his body not being able to cope with the rigours of another NRL season.

His retirement news came after the Bulldogs had splurged cash on marquee signings Viliame Kikau, Ryan Sutton, Reed Mahoney, Andrew Davey, Hayze Perham and Franklin Pele.

It’s why the NRL’s reported ruling of including part of Jackson’s 2023 salary in the cap for 2023 is such a hammer blow.

Nine’s Danny Weidler told 100% Footy on Monday night the NRL has “put a few hundred thousand, maybe $200,000” into the club’s 2023 cap.

Gould responded to the news by suggesting the NRL has made a number of “ridiculous” decisions recently.

“It’s a stupid rule, we’ve appealed it and they haven’t responded, as well,” Gould said.

“We’ll leave it there.”

Since Jackson’s retirement, the Bulldogs in January announced star playmaker Matt Burton has re-signed with the club on a monster deal through to the end of the 2027 season.

The 31-year-old remains an employee of the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs where he works as a strength and conditioning coach inside the club’s football department.

Full Story Link:

I was wondering if they would get away with this. Saw Josh working with the team on Sat reminded me that the dogs were quite obviously trying to pull a fast one. I always thought there had to be something like a 3yr break between ‘retiring’ a player and then recruiting them into another role to prevent clubs rorting the cap (unless you are the roosters or souffs)

Gus would cry if any other NRL club got salary cap relief, but feels he deserves that "special treatment" because he is.....Gus.
If Gus get's his way, it will create so many grey area's that will create absolute havoc with everyone wanting more and suggesting the "other team" got more financial support than us, probably leading to Massive legal disputes and another cloud the NRL probably doesn't need.

I don't get the angst ... if a player retires .. for whatever reason ... that's it .. done and dusted ...

And as far as working in the fitness and conditioning dept .... WHY the hell not ... it's just a job .. and one I would think, that after more than a decade training at an elite level, he would be adequately qualified for ...

The only proviso would be if the job was a $150k a year job ... and he was being paid $300k a year ..

Gus would cry if any other NRL club got salary cap relief, but feels he deserves that "special treatment" because he is.....Gus.
If Gus get's his way, it will create so many grey area's that will create absolute havoc with everyone wanting more and suggesting the "other team" got more financial support than us, probably leading to Massive legal disputes and another cloud the NRL probably doesn't need.

They are not getting salary cap relief ... the bloke retired ... contract torn up ... no payments made ..

They are not getting salary cap relief ... the bloke retired ... contract torn up ... no payments made ..
He has walked straight into a $200k per year job in which he has zero experience. It's more than a little suspect. Very likely it was an incentive for him to retire. If the NRL sat on their hands you'd start seeing a lot of players getting highly paid token jobs as sweeteners to actual playing contracts.

hey are not getting salary cap relief ... the bloke retired ... contract torn up ... no payments made ..
lol, 'no payments made'. This is the whole point of why it was outrageous that their new sponsor openly bragged how he'd look after players post-career. Politis at least does it through his network of rich buddies and introductions to create an illusion of arms-length from the club.
Josh Jackson seemed like a decent bloke but he's not going to give up half a million bucks out of love for the club.

lol, 'no payments made'. This is the whole point of why it was outrageous that their new sponsor openly bragged how he'd look after players post-career. Politis at least does it through his network of rich buddies and introductions to create an illusion of arms-length from the club.
Josh Jackson seemed like a decent bloke but he's not going to give up half a million bucks out of love for the club.
Exactly , and this is indeed the issue.

They “ forced “ him to retire so they could sign Kikau on huge dollars , but in the forcing, obviously said, “ no worries you’ll get your $500k for this year as a trainer , sponsored by Laundry Hotels “.

I think the NRL is right and Gus can **** off.

He has walked straight into a $200k per year job in which he has zero experience. It's more than a little suspect. Very likely it was an incentive for him to retire. If the NRL sat on their hands you'd start seeing a lot of players getting highly paid token jobs as sweeteners to actual playing contracts.

On what basis do you conclude he has zero experience ? ... and if $200k is the standard remuneration for such a job ... then I repeat .. what is the problem ..

Fair dinkum ... every time a manly player retires .. someone will post .. wouldn't it be great if he could get a job on the coaching staff to keep him around etc etc ... well after being club captain and 11 years at the club ... Bulldogs obviously feel that way about Josh Jackson ..

Some of you people see pixies under the bed ....

Simple test ... is he being paid more than someone in a similar position at another club ?

On what basis do you conclude he has zero experience ? ... and if $200k is the standard remuneration for such a job ... then I repeat .. what is the problem ..

Fair dinkum ... every time a manly player retires .. someone will post .. wouldn't it be great if he could get a job on the coaching staff to keep him around etc etc ... well after being club captain and 11 years at the club ... Bulldogs obviously feel that way about Josh Jackson ..
He may well have gotten the gig on merit alone but the NRL can't allow it because it is to easily rorted.

It’s a tough one. Without knowing the facts behind it you can only speculate. I kind of hope we would do the same thing for one of our players if in a similar position.

Last edited:
It would surprise me if any strength and conditioning coach got anywhere near 200k. Most of them are part time, and have separate practices as trainers.

Jackson likely picked up a lot of info being a professional for so long, and may even have a pt qual, who knows? But he’s in his career infancy.

The nrl is right to include some of his salary in the cap.

They should have done the same with burgess the 280k apprentice admin assistant.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4