New Winger - Christian Tuipulotu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I was actually talking to Michael Robertson after the game at the pub about this and how he used to defend. He said it may have changed a little since he played but the same principles apply.
It up to the inside men to make the wingers decision.
If the inside defenders apply enough pressure on the attacking players the winger holds and stays out as the play is smothered somewhat.
If the our defence hasn’t applied any pressure it’s up to the winger to make a decisive decision, jam in and hit that second man.
Ultimately the winner is running of the inside defences cues.
That's exactly the system - old and new ....winger should be reactive to the decisions made inside.
Then again Robbo was lucky to be around for the Lyon and Matai centre combination, 1 of the best centre combinations I remember.
The stronger the defence inside makes it easier for the winger to have more confidence which is also a Massive advantage.

Always or often different circumstances to try to sum up with wing defence but regardless still a better option to hold the line and not come in . Much more difficult for any additional cover or fullbacks to cover then once an opposing winger has all of that additional space and especially within range of the try line . Saab doesn 't seem to do too bad on the few occasions he has come in to stop an outside attacking play Much better then earlier in his Manly career but still more preferable to stay more in position and then his intercept abilities which can be a bit hit and miss . Garrick seems to have been a lot more commutative and effective in recent seasons with his defensive wing play and that is the key in many ways , communicating all the way from middle to outside edges to try and get the adjustments right and when some instinctive reads may be not cutting it . Tui still has a way to go to make some better defensive calls when it really counts .

That's exactly the system - old and new ....winger should be reactive to the decisions made inside.
Then again Robbo was lucky to be around for the Lyon and Matai centre combination, 1 of the best centre combinations I remember.
The stronger the defence inside makes it easier for the winger to have more confidence which is also a Massive advantage.
The thing that stood out most to me about Tui hitting in was how deep the Dolphins were in attack and how far away he was from Hammer when the pass was thrown. If you have to cover that much ground to get to your intended target, chances are it’s a mistake.

It was a well run play by the Dolphins and would scramble even the best structures but the fact Koula was able to get to Issako and force him to dive for corner, says he was there to take the guy inside Issako, hence Tui should have held his wing.

I was actually talking to Michael Robertson after the game at the pub about this and how he used to defend. He said it may have changed a little since he played but the same principles apply.
It up to the inside men to make the wingers decision.
If the inside defenders apply enough pressure on the attacking players the winger holds and stays out as the play is smothered somewhat.
If the our defence hasn’t applied any pressure it’s up to the winger to make a decisive decision, jam in and hit that second man.
Ultimately the winner is running of the inside defences cues.
The stronger the defence inside makes it easier for the winger to have more confidence which is also a Massive advantage....some games an edge is badly comprimised and its actually from the middle been blown up that drags in defenders and can make a winger look to have had a horror game.....when in fact the rot started in the middle of the apple.

• 👍
Reactions: Ben
I’ve got a lot of time for him and he’s always been good with the ball, but watch his attempted tackle on Olakau’atu for Garrick’s last try. This type of effort has plagued his career and seen him dropped on occasions throughout. Still, he is great to watch.

Yep defence has never been his strongpoint

If Tui is being let go, it shows he is fourth at best in the current wing pecking order with Saab, Paulo & Vaega all ahead of him. Also, Faulalo has more upside than Tui (IMO).
A spot for the vacant wing posse has never been more open, trial form could be the clincher.

I'd be absolutely shocked if it's not Jaxson Paulo.
Agreed, when i spoke to Seibs he spoke very highly of him and in press conferences has always talked about Manly's speed in outside backs as an attacking threat. Faulalo suits the style of play that Manly want to play as well with Vaega an alternative option if we need a yardage winger through asking too much work for middle forwards by choosing 2 lighter wingers. Also keep in mind Lehi Hopoate who's a real speedster who in 2 years will be challenging Paulo or Faulalo for that left wing spot.
Great move for both parties

Sensible decision. Never going to reach any great heights. He's another Suli. Plenty of wingers left anyway. Saab , Paulo , Faulolo , Vaega , Talau , Garrick if needed.
Wouldn’t even put him at that level. Suli has so much potential and can be a real game breaker.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8