New Captain...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ROBBO71

....I'm so ready to move on now that the Ox has gone.

At the moment I think Jamie Lyon is our best option.

If we were looking for a better long term option, I reckon Brett Stewart could be a good idea. Although I don't know that it would be a good idea to burden him with that responsibility yet. Also the small matter of a legal issue hanging over his head at the moment.

Lyon is the logical option.
Orford hasnt missed many games in the last few years, but when he has it has been Lyon filling in.

Ballin wouldn't be a bad choice either.

I'd prefer Ballin. He seems ideal and has a huge involvement in every game. Having a captain who plays at the heart of the forwards is a bonus.

Cameron Smith does an outstanding job from hooker. I think Ballin could too.

Brett Stewart always walks out onto the park 2nd behind Ox.. Could that be a sign of their intentions?

I dont think Brett will want to front too many press conferences with what is hanging over his head therefore I beleive he is no chance.

I think it will be out of Choc/Lyon and maybe Kite

I love Killer, but he has always been clear that he wants to go back to the UK at some point.. Ideally I'd like to have a more long term captain..

Jason King would be an option as well, already does a fair bit of press work and seems to be in that role internally at the club if player quotes are something to go by.

Would Lyon want the extra responsibility?

He's not keen on rep footy & really only wants to play footy for Manly & go back to Wee Waa when he can. I say let him just do that. There's other options.

I think Glenn Stewart, Matt Ballin or Jason King would be the best choices. I bet Des goes with Kitey though.

For mine, it would be between Choc, Glen Stewart or Kite.
Lyon wants to finish his career in the UK and I doubt Brett would be interested in dealing with the press for some time to come given their treatment of him this year.

G Stewart
Ballin
King

Would be my 3 choices in order.

Brett wont get the gig with what's going on around him.
I dont think Lyon would want it.
Choc is not captain material

I think Glenn would be a bit shy for the role. Don't mind the Ballin idea but I'd go for Jason King with Killer taking on the on field role when King's on the bench.

I don't think they'll want to make Kite captain because it wouldn't surprise me if they ship him out if he ever gets a better offer (eg: UK)

Glenn Stewart was always the captain of his teams in the younger grades. I think he is definately captain material.
Balin would be a good option.
Kite would be too shy.
Lyon has been the stand in when Orford was out. Probably the favourite to get it.
Watmough has expressed his desire to lead the club. I don't think he fits the bill.
King, doesn't play enough game time.
Brett Stewart, i wouldn't think so, although we can be a controversial club at times.

I reckon its out of these three....
Balin, Glenn Stewart, Lyon.

I wonder if we will be able to find out the captain prior to the Round 1 team announcement?

I think I read somewhere that Lyon didn't want that sort of role

I also think he may have changed his mind about finishing in the UK, as there was talk he was very close to re signing with Manly with Orford taking a pay cut to help that happy

If we look at what we know about Jamie, he is very, very big on family, and his young fella's would be coming up to school age very soon, he may not want to take them over to the UK to attend school

Lyon would be my pick with ballin and gifty next in line

Jatz Crackers link said:
I dont think Lyon wants the role.

So far, its out of Ballin & Glen for mine.

based on?

he is a natural leader, well liked and even liked and respected by referees. He also has a sense of the team being bigger than he is, which leads me to think he might take it on

G Stewart then Kite for me.  From memory Kite was captain for a few games towards the end of 07 and really lifted in those games and lead by example.  

Dan, I am pretty sure I read something where Lyon was saying captaincy wasn't for him

Personally, he isn't a bloke I can see sitting in front of a pack of media post match fielding questions and being comfortable either

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6