Nathan Brown Impact?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Could be anything. Impossible to say at this point. I would like to think that because he is at the tail end of his career he would want to go out with a big bang premiership win. He can do that at Manly and he can do that this year. Not many more opportunities left so that could be the big motivation. Lets hope so because at his best he would be a major inclusion in our pack. Difference between a top 8 and top 4 for mine.

Nathan Brown brings experience and aggression to a Manly forward pack that has been lacking in both. Seibold has brought him into the squad to add depth off the bench and obviously believes that Brown will compete hard for a spot in the seventeen.

We will have to wait and see, but just like Lodge, Brown could turn out to be a very smart signing for us this season.

Look I'm gunna start by saying I hated the bloke when he played for the opposition....and I loved the game he went into hiding when Oka was after him.
Also, not sure if he was on the slide, but noticed his impact was nowhere near as good this season, as where it was just a year or so ago.
So here we are and he is now a Seaeagle and like Lodge and others before these 2 boys, , I have come to accept and support, any player who wears the Manly jersey.
My feeling is he will be part of the starting 17 and bring some experience and hopefully some controlled aggression to a timid pack of big bodies.
Potentially a decent signing.

What's your thoughts on -
Will he make the 17
What can he add (if he plays)
Does he improve our squad for 2024 in your opinion
Ahhhh Maxta, you are a better man than I. I have never been able to just accept and support any player who wears the Manly jersey. And I'm really just talking about players that have come from other clubs. Accept yes (as I have with Brown and Lodge) but the support needs to be earned. So far Lodge has shown that he seems committed to the Club and was playing like he wanted to be here. So he's got my support (until he doesn't). Myles is a case in point where I believe there was no respect for the Manly jumper or the Club. He didn't deserve my support as a card carrying member.

I guess I'm not much of a Brown fan coz I just don't think he was that good. And I think his hard man image was blown away a bit after he went missing against Guac. He had his moments but really, his career seems a bit ..... meh.

I guess if he shows enough in the pre season, he might make the last 17 spot coz we have 2 big fella injuries at the moment. I'm not convinced he brings much other than a suspect reputation that he'll add some "hard man" edge to the pack. Does he improve the squad? I have no idea coz players like Brown at this stage of their career, could go out with a blast or a whimper.

All I want from him is to dig in and have a go. Anything from there will be a bonus and he'll absolutely have my support. One thing for sure, I'm already busting for the season to start.

He has his limitations like everyone, and I am hopeful he plays his role in the team, but I hope his aggressive style he's known for gets his teammates going with a bit of the same as theres a few who could use motivating in this area at times. A fresh start and potentially last start, may give us a decent player.

Competition for spots will work for us. I would be surprised if Brown doesn't recognize the opportunity he has to fight his way back into the NRL. With Lodge and Sipley out we will need Jake in the front row rotation which means we need a lock.

He was signed as depth on minimum coin because both he and the club are under no illusions that his best is well behind him.

It’s all well and good to spin a nice fairy tale about his prospects for this coming season, but science will prevail and his crippled body and short fuse will lead to an underwhelming stint in the maroon and white.
Last year he was a mid (early) season signing to the Chooks, he'd missed pre-season with a hammie but when he got fit he played out the full year, including 10 games in NRL. So his body may not be crippled (unless you know something more?)

He obviously fell way out of favour in his last year at the Eels... poor form? attitude? I don't know.

His season could well turn on how Manly starts the year. If we start strongly the mood in the whole place will be quite buoyant and suddenly present an opportunity for Brown to finish his career on a real high.

I saw he was Manly's 'trainer of the week' recently, chosen by staff, so he's clearly either going really well or else being heavily encouraged.

You're quite right in that it may all come to a big fat nought, but I'll wait to see before writing him off.

Ahhhh Maxta, you are a better man than I. I have never been able to just accept and support any player who wears the Manly jersey. And I'm really just talking about players that have come from other clubs. Accept yes (as I have with Brown and Lodge) but the support needs to be earned. So far Lodge has shown that he seems committed to the Club and was playing like he wanted to be here. So he's got my support (until he doesn't). Myles is a case in point where I believe there was no respect for the Manly jumper or the Club. He didn't deserve my support as a card carrying member.

I guess I'm not much of a Brown fan coz I just don't think he was that good. And I think his hard man image was blown away a bit after he went missing against Guac. He had his moments but really, his career seems a bit ..... meh.

I guess if he shows enough in the pre season, he might make the last 17 spot coz we have 2 big fella injuries at the moment. I'm not convinced he brings much other than a suspect reputation that he'll add some "hard man" edge to the pack. Does he improve the squad? I have no idea coz players like Brown at this stage of their career, could go out with a blast or a whimper.

All I want from him is to dig in and have a go. Anything from there will be a bonus and he'll absolutely have my support. One thing for sure, I'm already busting for the season to start.
I have a confession - I am guilty as charged - that Myles bloke was a joke and up with the worst signings of all time and you caught me with hand in cookie jar and crumbs on my lips - I could not stand the bloke and he made me sick in the Manly jersey ( but few others have ) ....but soon as I read your post I had to own it @:blush:
I was more saying many players who came to Manly with a few issues and a history that did not make them "sound like good ppl" I have put aside and supported them as a part of the team I love.....though the Lodge thing was a real tester and if he had not already been back playing in the NRL with a clean slate since, I honestly think that may have been a tougher situation to accept.
There have been many times the media can make a monster out of a good person, so it's real important to not believe anything till proven, as in the Snake Stewart hanging when he was innocent from day 1, which was a MASSIVE setback for himself and the Manly club in general and I knew he was innocent without getting into it.
Back to Brown - I think you just summed it all up about perfectly.

I have a confession - I am guilty as charged - that Myles bloke was a joke and up with the worst signings of all time and you caught me with hand in cookie jar and crumbs on my lips - I could not stand the bloke and he made me sick in the Manly jersey ( but few others have ) ....but soon as I read your post I had to own it @:blush:
I was more saying many players who came to Manly with a few issues and a history that did not make them "sound like good ppl" I have put aside and supported them as a part of the team I love.....though the Lodge thing was a real tester and if he had not already been back playing in the NRL with a clean slate since, I honestly think that may have been a tougher situation to accept.
There have been many times the media can make a monster out of a good person, so it's real important to not believe anything till proven, as in the Snake Stewart hanging when he was innocent from day 1, which was a MASSIVE setback for himself and the Manly club in general and I knew he was innocent without getting into it.
Back to Brown - I think you just summed it all up about perfectly.
:thumbsup: Let's hope he does bring something but as @Mark from Brisbane notes above, no real damage done if he fizzes.

More of a replacement for Keppie I think but on less coin I’d expect
Could prove to be a good addition, He can play has played origin and was recalled for Parra‘s Gf , So coaches think he has something to offer . It’s all on him really probably on his last chance of playing for an NRL team

The most enthusiasm I can muster about this bloke (and Waddell and a couple of others) is to say that players like that at the bottom end of your roster shouldn't really make much difference either way. Even in their good games they're largely anonymous. And anything they do in the odd game here and there is a bonus.

Last year he was a mid (early) season signing to the Chooks, he'd missed pre-season with a hammie but when he got fit he played out the full year, including 10 games in NRL. So his body may not be crippled (unless you know something more?)

He obviously fell way out of favour in his last year at the Eels... poor form? attitude? I don't know.

His season could well turn on how Manly starts the year. If we start strongly the mood in the whole place will be quite buoyant and suddenly present an opportunity for Brown to finish his career on a real high.

I saw he was Manly's 'trainer of the week' recently, chosen by staff, so he's clearly either going really well or else being heavily encouraged.

You're quite right in that it may all come to a big fat nought, but I'll wait to see before writing him off.
He got sent off against Manly after being on the field for all of 30 seconds. The Chooks cut him loose. If he was doing/showing all the right things in Bondi, you can bet he’d have stayed for a minimum deal. Instead he ended up here on a train and trial. All signs point to the experts knowing that he is well and truly washed up.

But…he ain’t a risk because we haven’t invested in him. Thus, he needs to simply play a basic role and he will be value for money. Still can’t stand the sight of him in maroon and white, but it’s not up to me 😂

He got sent off against Manly after being on the field for all of 30 seconds. The Chooks cut him loose. If he was doing/showing all the right things in Bondi, you can bet he’d have stayed for a minimum deal. Instead he ended up here on a train and trial. All signs point to the experts knowing that he is well and truly washed up.

But…he ain’t a risk because we haven’t invested in him. Thus, he needs to simply play a basic role and he will be value for money. Still can’t stand the sight of him in maroon and white, but it’s not up to me 😂
Probably right. My optimism is particularly irrational at this time of year.
Oh for a new Joe Gulavao, but that doesn't happen very often.

Pretty obvious the strategy was to move on fringe guys like Keppie and Tuilagi and also young guys who demanded big coin for their age and experience. That's the Fainu brothers.

Upgrade the promising younger guys like Haumole etc and fill the squad out with low-cost veterans that can hopefully add some punch.

Brown fits into that last category obviously and if he can contribute in a few games and mentor some of the younger guys then it's a win for Manly given he is on low coin.

I don't think so. Myles conned us into financing his retirement, and had no interest in putting effort in. Brown on the other hand is trying to salvage his career.
Mate Nyles has had one or two financial problems since then:

He has also been selling off a lot of real estate. The two issues could be conjoined:

It would seem so. Nobody sells off their Mum’s home unless they have to.

Pretty obvious the strategy was to move on fringe guys like Keppie and Tuilagi and also young guys who demanded big coin for their age and experience. That's the Fainu brothers.

Upgrade the promising younger guys like Haumole etc and fill the squad out with low-cost veterans that can hopefully add some punch.

Brown fits into that last category obviously and if he can contribute in a few games and mentor some of the younger guys then it's a win for Manly given he is on low coin.
Keppie and Tuilagi were both on decent coin and really needed to be walk up starts each week to justify their salaries. Instead, they were both dropped at different stages throughout the year or sat on the bench. As you suggest, the logic being that we can find cheaper options to fill the same role.

I still have concerns over the Fainu move. I get that they were both on the kinda money that demands they start each week and maybe they’re not ready but maybe they are?! I recall DCE winning a comp in his debut season in the NRL (he certainly had great players around him but still, it can be done).

If we don’t have success in the next couple of years, we could be looking back at who we cut loose. I hope not!

If we don’t have success in the next couple of years, we could be looking back at who we cut loose. I hope not!
True, and that's why Fainus were a huge story here last year. But right now it's hard to criticise the view that they'd become an expensive luxury (not to mention any other factors we may never know about).

Anyhow their devotion to family and maximum $ contracts is now a Tigers problem, even if they do eventually become real stars. Will their best years be at Wests or some other club?

By the way, DCE had a full season in Q Cup, winning Q Cup Player of the Year, before winning the NRL GF in his debut year at age 22. Not to say Latu can't dominate this year, but he only has 9 reserve grade games and is still only 18. In 2 or 3 years he may consistently be starrring at NRL but that is best case scenario for Wests.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8