My Perspective - what's yours

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I really don't feel that bad after that grand final. The refs were terrible. There definitely needs to be an investigation. We played a whole year without two of our top three props. Wolfman was terrible - but he has always made me nervous in defence.

Four GFs sine 07 is incredible. Next year will be ten years of finals in a row. DCE is now a superstar. We have some good young props coming through and some classy backs. Back row is as strong as any club.

Concerns. King needs a big year in 14 without Rose Kite and gUalavau. Williams probably won't play much more first grade. Snakes lower body. Faosos neck. I would like to see something of Chee Kam next year.

Anyway looking forward to next year and really proud to be a manly supporter. The boys were busted and tired and fought against terrible officials against a side with no injuries.

Proud. No doubt about it. That is never in question.
I am probably a bit more gutted than what I thought I'd be to be honest. We have overachieved this year imo. So just to get as as far as what we did was a great effort. Toovey and the coaching staff can take a bow. Great job.
At 8-6 at half time, I said that if we get 50/50 of the calls in the 2nd half we'd win. Roosters had 57% of possession in that first half, and undoubtedly had the rub of the green, but unfortunately that continued in the 2nd half.
At 18-8, I had a tear in my eye as I dared to believe that we could actually pull this off. Unfortunately that opportunity was taken away by factors beyond our control.
Still hurting.....lots..

I'm still hurting, also.
People say we lost four times to Easts - but fail to acknowledge we were the better team in the last two of these matches. Hayne definitely conspired against us in the GF.
I think criticism of the Wolfman is over-the-top. Yes, he had a lamentable GF but his season was terrific. I am concerned that our wingers do not contest the cross field bombs, but the rest of their play is outstanding.
Overall the team gave me great enjoyment, and pride. Never once in any of our losses were we totally outplayed, or beaten by a large score. I don't think any other club can boasts this. The Manly men always give their all.

I spoke to Chee Kam at the players function at the Diggers, he's really hopefully that his run of injuries doesn't continue.

I said to him that with a few leaving he was in with a big show of being in the 17 all year.... He said. " I bloody hope so"

I am proud of the team and thought they contested well on Sunday. We dominated the first half of each stanza but unfortunately they finished stronger in both.
Yes the reffing helped. I am glad I was at the ground and from my angle I couldn't see how far forward that pass was to take the lead. I would have needed some calming down if watching that at home.
The JWH lost ball and headbutt penalty also ludicrous and that I did see from the ground. I think Robson subbed JWH straight away realising he had lost it but of course the refs decided we were the ones who should be penalised. That and the try are the winning margin.
Oh well, from what I understand of the 72 win against Easts we probably got the run of reffing, so maybe it sort of evens out.
I do think Easts the marginally better team on the day. They were clearly superior in the attacking kicks close to the tryline both in attack and defence. I am sorry to say Williams non-attempt at the uncontested bomb I saw as the turning point.
Still we earned the (often grudging) respect of the league world this year and see us being strong again next year. I hope the club capitalised well financially on the GF appearance.

The sad part for me is the fact we could have won.
Sure there were some poor calls & we got the rough end of the pineapple but there were plenty of key moments that cost the match.
The effort was there, but SBW was kept quiet as a kitten 1st half & was allowed so much latitude with the game in the balance splitting us twice in a short period.
Also some poor passes with the tryline beckoning & other high profile players(than Wolf) who spilled crucial kicks.
I really believe the game was a tough arm wrestle that we won, then the intensity dropped a fraction when we skipped out by 10 points.
After losing the momentum it was hard to regain, again yes we got bad calls but who here would not have predicted that pre game.
The pass from Maloney was clearly foward & I dont know why the hell video refs cant make this call, but what concerned me was SBW having busted the line to put Maloney away in the first place.
I recall the 2008 GF we won by 40 & the Storm got every favourable decision, but we overcame that so nothing was mentioned.

I think Jake will come into our front row rotation next year. I couldn't believe how well he went on debut against Penrith. Seems to have a good engine capable of playing big minutes. Looks to have a massive future. With our other front row recruits we will be stronger than this year in that department.

My perspective is that we got beaten by two bits of brilliant individual play. SBW off load and Jennings lightning speed to get to grubber kick. I doubt any other player on the park could have pulled off either of those two. We had it in the bag at 18-8 up, how we lost from there is the heart breaking thing. We were probably a good prop short in the end. Blaming the refs just doesn't do it for me, ends up sounding like sour grapes.

Great effort from the team to get there in the first place, it was looking like we had timed our run to perfection, but ended up just falling short. Hopefully we can be thereabouts again next year.

And William Willams (well let's face it, he's an adult and should get around with a grown-up's name) only came good when the likes of Kite, Lawrence and Watmough were being rested.

It amuses me that pick-up on the 1972 result as if that were important. It would be the equivalent of someone in 1972 still being fixated on the result of an event 41 years earlier, in 1931. The Harbour Bridge hadn't even been completed then and Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff were scaring people in the cinemas. In other words, it's ancient history in footballing terms. Besides, Easts went on to win back-to-back in 1974-75.

Terry Zarsoff said:
And William Willams (well let's face it, he's an adult and should get around with a grown-up's name) only came good when the likes of Kite, Lawrence and Watmough were being rested.

It amuses me that pick-up on the 1972 result as if that were important. It would be the equivalent of someone in 1972 still being fixated on the result of an event 41 years earlier, in 1931. The Harbour Bridge hadn't even been completed then and Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff were scaring people in the cinemas. In other words, it's ancient history in footballing terms. Besides, Easts went on to win back-to-back in 1974-75.

Well I didn't actually see the 72 game being a bit young at the time. I only go by the match reports and highlights.

I just offered it in a probably futile attempt to feel better about the reffing on Sunday.

It's probably the only penalty count the Roosters won all year (and I do think that was a result of the way they played). Very galling that in the GF somehow we end up being penalised twice as much.

My invective wasn't directed at you and apologies if I created that impression. It's the Roosters' supporters who are coming out with this latest result being payback for 1972.

I'm over Sunday. The 82 and 83 grand finals were the real definition of gut wrenching for me.

I'm just pissed off that there is an off-season.

Frank said:
I'm over Sunday. The 82 and 83 grand finals were the real definition of gut wrenching for me.

Agreed re 82 and 83. That's when the Club was in full Team of Champions mode, rather than Champion Team mode, like Parramatta was back then. Now we are the latter, so it doesn't feel so bad. They turned up on Sunday, they played, and they could have won it.

Clint said:
At 18-8, I had a tear in my eye as I dared to believe that we could actually pull this off. Unfortunately that opportunity was taken away by factors beyond our control.

Let's not forget that two tackles on $BW, one tackle on Guerra and attempting to catch a bomb were factors well within our control.

Bradza said:
Clint said:

Let's not forget that two tackles on $BW, one tackle on Guerra and attempting to catch a bomb were factors well within our control.

Apart from the appalling refereeing there were other factors which cost us. Having Choc,Kite and Lawrence off at the same time was when the Roosters put in the killer blow. The other bigger one Snake was nowhere near fit enough to play, he couldn't step at all. Instead of Gower we should have put Hiku on the bench and used him as a utility interchange.

Frank said:

I've been to 3 grand finals..........82, 83 and 13.

I stayed away for 30 years after watching both 82 and 83 with Parramatta fans.

Perhaps I should revisit my decision.

Sigh

Arko-admirer said:
. . . Still we earned the (often grudging) respect of the league world this year and see us being strong again next year. I hope the club capitalised well financially on the GF appearance.
This point about respect cannot be underestimated. So many fans from other clubs have voiced their admiration and respect for Manly's play as we fought our way to within inches of the premiership.

Our team has actually captured the imagination of many league followers, and people want to watch us play. That is a huge feather in the cap of Tooves and the players.

mickqld said:
Bradza said:
Clint said:

Apart from the appalling refereeing there were other factors which cost us. Having Choc,Kite and Lawrence off at the same time was when the Roosters put in the killer blow. The other bigger one Snake was nowhere near fit enough to play, he couldn't step at all. Instead of Gower we should have put Hiku on the bench and used him as a utility interchange.

Precisely.

From my perspective, at full time on Sunday I felt very proud of my team and what they had achieved against the odds this season.

I thought that the game was a missed opportunity after the lead we had. I was annoyed that again Hayne did his part to deny us.

My thoughts too were that we have the best halves combo in the game and that will make us strong every season.

My overwhelming throughts were that we need an injection of size and youth especially in the forwards to be able to keep our run going.

The thought that will stick with me all summer is that we will be so hungry to do better next season and we can win.

g'day all,Although we were beaten we certainly weren't disgraced and no one can be disappointed with our effort.I think that in defence of wolfman i wonder if it wasn't a preconceived plan to not contest but to stay down and attempt the tackle and that is what caused that horrible last attempt where the ball hit his knee because on every kick he was just intent on watching the chooks winger not the ball and he came undone because the other bloke didn't make it to the contest.Also there was no need for glen stewart to come in on moa who passed to the bloke who should've never been allowed back in the game as that meant dce was left to try and contain him and giving maloney an easy ball and clear passage.While there is no doubt that we copped some dubious decisions i believe we still had the opportunity to win despite those decisions,but what does puzzle me is the lack of media outcry and outrage,one can only imagine the hysteria if that had been the cowboys,and the seemingly happy acceptance by the games hierarchy and officialdom of obviously wrong decisions as there has been a very stunning silence.
cheers mike

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4