My passion won't die

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
D

Deleted member 26876

My loyalty is always to Manly, and I will eternally be passionate about Manly to the nth degree; even if it's "just a sports team".

But passion and physical, active support are two different things.

The string of events from the head of our club (and various current players) is not something any manly fan should get behind; irrespective of personal opinion of Hasler/Toovey.

The people/factions running the club are the antithesis of Manly; they piss on manly's history, backstab our legends and involve their ego's in petty infighting (racking up a CEO-death toll only the Tigers are envious of). Worryingly, they are irrational; the latest installment of delusion involves mirroring what they've already done in 2015 and what Brisbane did in 2018. While we are much improved from the position we were in when Barrett was sacked, it has taken years and without Des returning we were on a violent downward tragectory. Now, like Manly in 2016-2018 and Brisbane 2019-Now, we will re-enter an uneccessarily turbulent period, and many fans will not support Seibold due to the actions he will represent. As history often goes to show, this will likely backfire (from a 'results'=business perspective)

Bennett proved he was not to be disrespected and both Seibold and the 'baby Broncos' got a reality check that ruined many careers and stained the club's history. Results-wise, the Broncos are still recovering today. Reputation-wise, it backfired on management big time leading to the Storm's CEO jumping ship to save them. We won't have that luxury.

Why do Penn and management do this to Manly? The reality is that no matter how passionate we are, we have no say in what Penn does. Like the players that got told to not publically support Hasler, we are forced to watch in silence and are expected to blindly support a rabble.

It is a massive insult to past manly players and the club's history to let this continue to happen to us, but there's not much we can do.

It's not much, but I am going to actively avoid physically supporting the club this year
  • No merch
  • No games
  • No membership
  • No silvertails? (I fear I will just rant and whine)

But my passion, deep down, for what Manly was and should be will not die.
People may say "go join the Dolphins", but we are all on this forum because we only care about one thing.

The management and certain players have made me feel that withholding support (out of honour for the 'true' Manly) is only what's right. I know it is not effective (unless large numbers ended up doing the same), but I am posting this merely to plant a small fibre of evidence that shows Penn has disenheartened some passionate fans to a whopping extent.

If I don't feel I can support this rendition of Manly for a while, so be it. I'll come back at the end when the self-serving, manipulative characters undo themselves. It is only a matter of time, the club can't keep self-destructing forever...

There will come a time when we will be reborn. If we are sold, this will happen sooner rather than later. Under the current model, it is highly unlikely that we have yet hit the bottom. There may be a spoon, but there will also be a string of club legends and fans hurt along the way, irrespective of on-field performances.

Hopefully Des and Toovey get some of the respect they deserve for their input to this once proud club; whether it be now (by public support/fans standing up against Penn) or in retrospect, after failure lets people reflect on how ****ty a time this is.

I will keep watching games. But that is all until something changes.
Go Manly

I agree that I hope everyone sticks strong here and is loyal. This team has given us so many happy memories throughout history - they do more than play sport, they actually help us with our own health and well-being.

Based on that, regardless of who is renting the positions at the club through history,we stick with our team - hey, at least we have one !!

Let's look at this as a new story / adventure to be written. Going to be really exciting how we bounce back from this as the wise @Woodsie said in another thread.

I feel mean saying this, but anyone who turns their back on the club now, was never a fan to begin with. I'd be here, REGARDLESS of who is employed by the place (Michael Crocker excluded).

I agree that I hope everyone sticks strong here and is loyal. This team has given us so many happy memories throughout history - they do more than play sport, they actually help us with our own health and well-being.

Based on that, regardless of who is renting the positions at the club through history,we stick with our team - hey, at least we have one !!

Let's look at this as a new story / adventure to be written. Going to be really exciting how we bounce back from this as the wise @Woodsie said in another thread.

I feel mean saying this, but anyone who turns their back on the club now, was never a fan to begin with. I'd be here, REGARDLESS of who is employed by the place (Michael Crocker excluded).
Hey Ryan, i'd love to be invested in the next few seasons, but my respect has worn thin. Again though, I feel I am deeply loyal to Manly even if paradoxical.

You're right that we should be grateful to have a team. But equally, I don't think it is in a good place, and that doesn't put its future in good stead.

It's a little sentimental and a little abstract, I know, but to me Manly has now reverted back to hiding and will resurface only after failure, sale, or, I suppose, time. Im of the opinion that it is better to fail quickly and violently over the next year or two, than to support this carrying on for longer. Not any other club, bar the tigers, has so willingly self-destructed like us over the last decade.

It's been a long time coming

Last edited by a moderator:
I support the team and always will.
Sure it's disappointing times and is a little unstable, with the future unknown, but like the game of life it's important to stay positive and focused.
I mean if we dropped anyone or anything that let us down time to time, we would all be pretty lonely individuals.
In fact, it's times like this people win my respect, as a big fan of loyalty and that is to Manly Seaeagles....not necessarily this person or that person, the club is bigger than nay individuals and this is my team and I'll stick solid for my lifetime.
Will also say we will come out of this Bigger and better and to prove me wrong, stick around for 2023 and let the results speak for themselves, we needed to freshen things up and do some replanting along the way.....did we get it right, well let's stick solid and support the side rather than bitching about stuff we can't control and things may well turn out for the better in the near future.

Passion smasshion.
Being passionate about a bunch of pro footy players is not something I waste much emotional energy on.
Until around late Feb early March each year, at which point I become hopelessly affected by every tiny thing that happens to the club.
Go Manly :)

I agree with the above. I attended all home games as a member this year. I lost interest after the pride round. I am involved in work that is highly politicised and look forward to the footy as a release from all that. It's all changed now.

I'm older too, and less invested in it now. Sad to say, because of all this and how badly the Des issue was handled, I've had enough. I won't renew my membership and I won't return to Brookie. I have many happy memories of our time and our childhood heroes, but I can't stand what happens with Manly now and with the NRL in particular.

In my view the wrong guy has been punted. The common denominator in all of the turmoil over the past 11 years has been the owner. A fish rots from the head, they say. The Penns, I am sure are good and honest business people. They are certainly not crooked. But their management of our club has been lamentable.

And I've had it. Call it an amicable separation, a divorce, whatever. Either way, I'm done. Best wishes to all, I will look at replies for a while, but I think I'm finished with this.

I agree with the above. I attended all home games as a member this year. I lost interest after the pride round. I am involved in work that is highly politicised and look forward to the footy as a release from all that. It's all changed now.

I'm older too, and less invested in it now. Sad to say, because of all this and how badly the Des issue was handled, I've had enough. I won't renew my membership and I won't return to Brookie. I have many happy memories of our time and our childhood heroes, but I can't stand what happens with Manly now and with the NRL in particular.

In my view the wrong guy has been punted. The common denominator in all of the turmoil over the past 11 years has been the owner. A fish rots from the head, they say. The Penns, I am sure are good and honest business people. They are certainly not crooked. But their management of our club has been lamentable.

And I've had it. Call it an amicable separation, a divorce, whatever. Either way, I'm done. Best wishes to all, I will look at replies for a while, but I think I'm finished with this.
If we win the first 6 games next year
I reckon you’ll be back 🥹

Unfortunately I’ve just contacted the club & cancelled my membership also. I can not stand the constant backstabbing & treatment of our legends…..of which Penn & his cohorts are NOT! The Manly hierarchy are no better. 17 game so called legend Mestrov is another. I will support Manly, I will support the players, I will watch the games on TV but I no longer have the passion I used to. I’ve supported this club since 1975 & it hurts to see what has transpired over the years. Maybe I’m just so disappointed right now & not thinking straight but I will not part with my hard earned money to support that pig Penn….I’m disgusted with the club & fear where it’s headed. My portion of memberships pale in to insignificance so I guess no great loss but Penn & his cohorts can go & get well & truly fu<ked!!!
In saying that I hold no grudges against Seibold & I hope he succeeds…

Last edited:
The True Passion Perspective

You have no idea what passion is feathered freind @h2727
My Manly Sermon should help you understand the meaning of Manly Passion

Passion and physical support go hand in hand . They are not two different things

Passion is all about giving it your all, mind body Physical and soul
So you either do something with passion or not at all !!!

Our Legendary club prevailed the greatest adversities since 1947 by passionate Manly Generations
Who stuck by their club Mind Body Physical and soul

Nothing Great has ever been achieved without the passion of Mind Body Physical and soul
So feathered freind @h2727 . Do thigs with passion or not at all !

See the source image

My loyalty is always to Manly, and I will eternally be passionate about Manly to the nth degree; even if it's "just a sports team".

The string of events from the head of our club (and various current players) is not something any manly fan should get behind; irrespective of personal opinion of Hasler/Toovey.

The people/factions running the club are the antithesis of Manly; they piss on manly's history, backstab our legends and involve their ego's in petty infighting (racking up a CEO-death toll only the Tigers are envious of). Worryingly, they are irrational; the latest installment of delusion involves mirroring what they've already done in 2015 and what Brisbane did in 2018. While we are much improved from the position we were in when Barrett was sacked, it has taken years and without Des returning we were on a violent downward tragectory. Now, like Manly in 2016-2018 and Brisbane 2019-Now, we will re-enter an uneccessarily turbulent period, and many fans will not support Seibold due to the actions he will represent. As history often goes to show, this will likely backfire (from a 'results'=business perspective)

Bennett proved he was not to be disrespected and both Seibold and the 'baby Broncos' got a reality check that ruined many careers and stained the club's history. Results-wise, the Broncos are still recovering today. Reputation-wise, it backfired on management big time leading to the Storm's CEO jumping ship to save them. We won't have that luxury.

Why do Penn and management do this to Manly? The reality is that no matter how passionate we are, we have no say in what Penn does. Like the players that got told to not publically support Hasler, we are forced to watch in silence and are expected to blindly support a rabble.

It is a massive insult to past manly players and the club's history to let this continue to happen to us, but there's not much we can do.

It's not much, but I am going to actively avoid physically supporting the club this year
  • No merch
  • No games
  • No membership
  • No silvertails? (I fear I will just rant and whine)

But my passion, deep down, for what Manly was and should be will not die.
People may say "go join the Dolphins", but we are all on this forum because we only care about one thing.

The management and certain players have made me feel that withholding support (out of honour for the 'true' Manly) is only what's right. I know it is not effective (unless large numbers ended up doing the same), but I am posting this merely to plant a small fibre of evidence that shows Penn has disenheartened some passionate fans to a whopping extent.

If I don't feel I can support this rendition of Manly for a while, so be it. I'll come back at the end when the self-serving, manipulative characters undo themselves. It is only a matter of time, the club can't keep self-destructing forever...

There will come a time when we will be reborn. If we are sold, this will happen sooner rather than later. Under the current model, it is highly unlikely that we have yet hit the bottom. There may be a spoon, but there will also be a string of club legends and fans hurt along the way, irrespective of on-field performances.

Hopefully Des and Toovey get some of the respect they deserve for their input to this once proud club; whether it be now (by public support/fans standing up against Penn) or in retrospect, after failure lets people reflect on how ****ty a time this is.

I will keep watching games. But that is all until something changes.
Go Manly
Absolutely spot on. Congratulations on the way you have summed up your feelings, and captured mine exactly.

Maroon and white till I die. I've lived through the lean years , the super league, the NE disaster, Bozo leaving, Des leaving, Barrett disaster, Sharpe years. I've witnessed the GF glory days of 76 ,78 ,87, 96, 08, 11. 40-nil , the epic 1978 journey. It won't matter about the names. Only the colours and emblem and Brookie matter to me. Win games and I don't care whose running the show. I'll be here forever, I'll support them forever, I'll criticise them forever and I'll cry over them forever. Bring on 2023 I can't wait.

Im with you over 45 years supporting Manly, But no longer, I won't follow Manly or NRL again, I have 5 grandchildren they can be the cause of my stress from now on , there have been great memories, but this leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.......

I'll still support, I'll still be a member, I'll still buy merchandise, and still attend games. So many on here have bagged Des, his tactics, his selections, his use of the bench etc etc and now everyone is leaving in droves because he's been punted. I never wanted him gone but like the pride 7 fiasco, I was over it an hour after it was announced. Move on and support the new coach I say. I for one can't wait to bag him

I'll still support, I'll still be a member, I'll still buy merchandise, and still attend games. So many on here have bagged Des, his tactics, his selections, his use of the bench etc etc and now everyone is leaving in droves because he's been punted. I never wanted him gone but like the pride 7 fiasco, I was over it an hour after it was announced. Move on and support the new coach I say. I for one can't wait to bag him
100% right. All I have read during the season is the constant complaining about Dessie, eg. his old school and past it and ultimately driven by the $ etc etc. etc. and how the club which is really Penn! should do something about it. Well now they have! and the problem is now Penn. At the end of day there is no real sense in the mob driven fan mentality which the media ultimately plays like a fiddle. Enjoy the ride and fiddle playing. It’s going to be a long off season. If we win more than we lose next year or simply have a good season all of this will be forgotten..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4