Mundine the loser!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Kessler retains world title

By TIM MORRISSEY

June 9, 2005

ANTHONY Mundine's dream to regain the WBA super middleweight title was dashed by power-hitting Danish champion Mikkel Kessler last night.

After 12 rounds a brave Mundine lost a unanimous points decision 116-112, 117-113 and 120-108 to the powerful Dane at the Sydney Entertainment Centre.

Kessler, the more aggressive of the two fighters, was in control from the opening round to take his undefeated record to 36 wins.

Many of Sydney's best known celebrities from the sporting, television and social scene were part of a huge crowd barracking for Mundine. But the former rugby league star was clearly out-pointed by a better fighter on the night.

Afterwards Kessler said it was a hard fight in front of such a parochial crowd.

"It was a very hard fight, I was tired at the start," Kessler said. "It was difficult with this crowd, they hated me.

"I had to give all I had in my body. I had energy the last two rounds so I just relaxed a little and fought it all off."

Mundine offered no excuses and was quick to pay tribute to the winner.

"It was a great show by both of us. He fought a great fight, I fought a great fight," he said.

"I tried to mix my game up. I would just like to thank everyone for coming and supporting.

"I was confident I could do it but that's the way the judges saw it, I've just got to take it."

Mundine will sit down with his father and trainer Tony Mundine over the next few days to make a decision on his future.

A comeback to rugby league is unlikely.

A comeback to RL is unlikely. That is a shame he could have been our blue chip buy.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6