[moved] Does hiding the salary hide the hidden agendas

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jatz Crackers

First Grader
Each time the Monas threads start we delve into an elongated debate that fractures & splinters along the way and eventually bogs down in hidden agendas and personality clashes. It starts out discussing football skills and ends up focused on debating that he is grossly overpaid, and ends with the proposition that he is unworthy to be at the club.

So, what if we all had no knowledge at all of Monas salary ?

Would it then be the case that Monas would only become part of general debate on here when his performance on the field was the sole subject matter ?

Would not knowing his contract sum remove the angst and conjecture and render him no more worthy of discussion & debate than any other Manly player ?

I wasn't all that happy about his contract negotiations. The reality is he caused the club a lot of grief with his off field tantrums during the procedure.

Des and the coaching staff had a plan in place (FACT) and it didn't involve Monaghan. He then caused such a stir in the club until one of the club's head figures went completley against the grain and forced managment to sign him. Ruining what Des and everybody else had been trying so hard to achieve.

Then, he was paid more than his worth and much more than many other top hookers in the game, after all that bitching and unsettling he had caused???

Combine all that with his inept role as halfback for so many seasons and having to put Ballin's shot on hold because of a whinger and I can understand why people have a problem with him as a person and as a player. I can also see why it keeps being dragged into the salary debate. Its because his contract renewal at our club was dragged through mudd by himself and his manager.

The ultimate question for a lot of people is not whether he is playing well, not how long he is on the field or whether he should be 5/8th ect. It's whether the trouble he has caused the club in 2005 and the effect he has had on our future plans warrant such a hefty pay packet. Is that what other clubs would pay for someone who stirred up so much ****?

Despite all that, nobody will disagree he is over paid and generally overrated. I think he is having a good season and I like him being in the team. It gives a lot more security and flexibility through times of injury like we have now. How many other teams can win their first 4 games of the season with Matt Orford, Steven Menzies and Steve Matai missing??? He's going all right but he's got a lot of patchwork to do with a lot of fans after his escapade a few years back.

unfortunately in this modern age Salary is an issue just as much as abilty. The salary cap makes sure of this, so its not just, is this guy worth being in the team, its about is this guy good enough to be in the team as well as in relation to the space he is taking up in the Cap.

Let's extrapolate this situation to the average workplace - albeit one where there is a limit to the total salary that can be paid to employees.

Monaghan is the receptionist that was going to be let go but threw so many public tantrums the chairman of the Board stepped in over the CEO and re-employed the receptionist at rates far above those paid to the majority of the Executive and up-the-line managers.

Two years later do you really think everything is going to be fine and dandy?

When the girl answering the phones (adequate she may be) is getting paid far more than more qualified and capable people undertaking far more rigorous jobs?

When the girl answering the phones can be replaced by another for a quarter of the price?

And the remainder of that salary can then be divided up amongst the rest of the workplace or more qualified and talented personnel be bought in to share the workload and lead to a more succesful workplace?

Monaghan painted the target on his back. There should be no surprises that he takes bullets for it.

I don't blame Monas for this fiasco - I blame the intervention of the white knight on his trusty steed that charged in to intervene when we had Orford in the bag.

Nothing personal against MM - he is entitled to get the best deal he can, but football clubs should be left to those qualified to run them and sponsors should do what they do best - put up their cash and enjoy the spoils. (I hope I don't sound ungrateful to Max D for saving our club, but in the end his expertise is in building etc)

[quote author=Matabele]

Monaghan painted the target on his back. There should be no surprises that he takes bullets for it.

And that is the perfect signature line!
[/quote]

Quoting yourself is a bit self indulgent even for you Matas :dance:

[quote author=Matabele]
[quote author=Matabele]

And that is the perfect signature line!
[/quote]

Quoting yourself is a bit self indulgent even for you Matas :dance:

[/quote] There is no limit to the amount of hubris I will accept.

Mata fires the receptionist so the fat cat managers and execs can have longer lunches and get a new shiny chair in their office each week whilst doing to same amount of work and dont forget the wednesday afternoon golf days

[quote author=Matabele]
I fire the receptionist so I can get one on award rates.

Is that the best you've got Fluffy?

Never get a recoptionist on award rates, you get useless sh!t if you do.

[/quote]Currently we're paying $240k pa for a useless **** receptionist!

[quote author=Garts]
[quote author=Matabele]
I fire the receptionist so I can get one on award rates.

Is that the best you've got Fluffy?

Never get a recoptionist on award rates, you get useless sh!t if you do.

[/quote]Currently we're paying $240k pa for a useless **** receptionist!

[/quote]

That is one of the worst analogys I have seen.

If a Director is off sick can the receptionist step in and do his or her job to a capable standard? Hell no.

Not disagreeing that he is overpaid but cmon Mata, come up with something better than that.

Outside of the unsavoury press carry-on (and how much of that was promoted by his manager?), Monas was also Captain at that time. When the club re-signed him he was a weekly starting player and Captain of an NRL team. He showed passion and commitment every game. I thought 240k under those circumstances was almost a fair figure. The captaincy was taken away and he no longer filled 7, so from 2006 it wasn't probably the right figure.

Outside of the unsavoury press carry-on (and how much of that was promoted by his manager?), Monas was also Captain at that time. When the club re-signed him he was a weekly starting player and Captain of an NRL team. He showed passion and commitment every game. I thought 240k under those circumstances was almost a fair figure. The captaincy was taken away and he no longer filled 7, so from 2006 it wasn't probably the right figure.

We had Orford in the bag at the time. Your argument is redundant.

Equally, so is Garts'. Any secretary can take calls and messages for the CEO while they're away for a few days. But they can't replace them long term.

Are you seriously suggesting Monaghan is our long term first choice half back? LOL!!

And now I shall honour my Monas gag. :naughty: :naughty:

Agree to a point Manlybacker. If he was going to be the starting halfback for us I would have thought $180k to $200k is fair however now he is not and now we are stuffed.

Some seem to think Orford coming here was a done deal when Monas was signed. Dont forget all the rumours going around that Orford was coming to Manly then he was not coming. What happened if we missed Orford and lost Monas? Who would be half then?

Maybe Mngt or Delmege were of the opinion the odds of getting Orford were not great and we had to cover our arses, being stuck with Monas now could very be well partially Orfords fault for chopping and changing his mind.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4