Mossopisms

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
Premium Member
Classic quotes frrom the great man in 1986. This was a weekly feature of RLW.
EPSON360.JPG

In 1976, Mossop made a citizen's arrest of a nudist at Balgowlah Beach later stating "I don't need the male genitalia rammed down my throat".
The guy had walked through his garden on the way back from Reef Beach just near Rex's house.

Some more of Rex's gems here:

He also coined the term “ambipedextrous” for people that kick with both feet.

Also the ball was scudding along like a cake out in the rain. (Great mixed metaphor of “scudding along like a cloud” and MacArthur Park, only Rex could do that)

Never heard him commentate much but used to read his column in the Big league or one of those magazines back in the day . Wasn 't using the word flabbergasted a common expression by him . Recall Woodsie mentioning once that he used to play beach touch footy either with or against Rex , he may have some worthwhile recollections to mention about him .

I loved watching Controversy Corner with Rex, Ferris Ashton, Col Pearce, Noel Kelly and Alan Clarkson.

At the start of every show Ferris always said he was feeling fantastic after some time in his Viking sauna.
Sitting pretty in his Pelaco shirt with a Patra orange juice and a Flexalum lawn locker to the man of the match.

How about the day when Rex asked Alan Clarkson about a specific moment in a game that Alan had reported on and Alan fessd up that he didn't go to the match.

Rex was by far the best RL tv commentator. I don't care that is highlight package is not Manly, just watch and listen to Rex in his full glory! By heavens! The charge of the light brigade! Absolute insanity!

Remember sitting on the athletic track at Lidcombe Oval as a kid a few times.
Was so excited one time when I saw myself in my Manly jersey on the Sunday night replay which was Wests v Saints. Would've been around that time too.

Great thread....brings back some memories.

Back in the 70's I remember Rex use to come into a bank where I worked in Manly with his wife. Frequently they'd stand at the counter and be all over each other (ie, weren't backward in coming forward)!

I used to enjoy his weekend show and particularly looked forward to when a player would come on to pass the ball through the hole and I think an elephants roar was played when it went through the flap.

The thing I used to like about Rex’s commentary, if I remember correctly, was that he was totally and utterly unbiased when he was calling a Manly game.@:D@;)

Unlike some of the commentators today, who seem to have a set against our boys.

Rex was by far the best RL tv commentator. I don't care that is highlight package is not Manly, just watch and listen to Rex in his full glory! By heavens! The charge of the light brigade! Absolute insanity!

Great to see my fifth grade teacher Wayne Smith make a a nice break at the 0:35 secs mark.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4