More Manly beer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Depends on the beer, mainly the strength. Stronger beers can take some time for all the sugar to be converted and for some of the flavours to round out. I brew a few stouts that are 8-12% and I will leave these a minimum of 6 months before opening. Lighter beers will be ready much sooner, and it's almost been 3 weeks since our first game so my first batch is nearly ready!
Bia Hoi from Vietnam is consumed even sooner than this. So soon that a large amount of the sugar hasn't been fermented and if left overnight will explode just like homemade ginger beer. I also have the advantage of kegs, so I don't need to wait for things to get fizzy again after I put it in a bottle.
Anyway, here is a picture of my season opener beer festering away in a dark place.View attachment 14134(FYI the green stuff are hops....not mold, algae or COVID)

Thank you!

I'm such a goof, I thought you were only making a different beer when the initial one was ready.

duh

Depends on the beer, mainly the strength. Stronger beers can take some time for all the sugar to be converted and for some of the flavours to round out. I brew a few stouts that are 8-12% and I will leave these a minimum of 6 months before opening. Lighter beers will be ready much sooner, and it's almost been 3 weeks since our first game so my first batch is nearly ready!
Bia Hoi from Vietnam is consumed even sooner than this. So soon that a large amount of the sugar hasn't been fermented and if left overnight will explode just like homemade ginger beer. I also have the advantage of kegs, so I don't need to wait for things to get fizzy again after I put it in a bottle.
Anyway, here is a picture of my season opener beer festering away in a dark place.View attachment 14134(FYI the green stuff are hops....not mold, algae or COVID)
That looks truly horrifying. Like a mixture of sump oil and a Saturday morning grog bog. In fact, I’ve seen old crack pipes which appear more sanitary. A vaccine for Coronavirus perhaps?

I can feel the moaning of beer snob and hipster getting louder.....just make a "normal" beer dammit....just do a good old fashioned lager!
Fair enough ..... but now here comes the lesson!

Lager yeast can function at much lower temperatures than the more traditional ale yeasts and are able to produce the the clean crisp taste that most people love.
They were first used in Germany in the 1400s, but what's really interesting is that the yeast probably came from the new world!
These first beers were also very different to the most common lagers of today and were far darker but this all changed in the 1800's with new kilning tech. This set the stage for the modern lagers that we see today a number of new styles coming into existence.

So, for a old fashioned lager, I decided to go with a Vienna (circa 1841). It's smooth, medium-bodied, and semi-sweet, while not too heavy or bitter and I think the perfect beer to represent the unsung heroes and work horses of Manly's past and present. Nothing so flashy that they grab headlines and dominate pre game shows but we know who they are/were and we know how good they were.
Grab a Brooklyn Lager or a Nitro Mountain Lager from Bridge Rd for something similar :)

Last edited:
First beer for the season!
2.8% Session IPA (to commemorate Manly's Mid strength start to the season)
1586386366801.png

I used a touch of hibiscus to give it a redder colour. It gave a little extra fruitiness which worked well with the beer but the colour finished a little darker than planned. I expect it to be all gone by Monday, I should have made more :)

First beer for the season!
2.8% Session IPA (to commemorate Manly's Mid strength start to the season)
View attachment 14229
I used a touch of hibiscus to give it a redder colour. It gave a little extra fruitiness which worked well with the beer but the colour finished a little darker than planned. I expect it to be all gone by Monday, I should have made more :)

woohoo!

Umm, how much did you make?

So soon that a large amount of the sugar hasn't been fermented and if left overnight will explode just like homemade ginger beer.

I still remember my Dad trying to open a bottle of homemade ginger beer and when I looked up, the damn bottle exploded right in my face. Somehow not a single shard of glass hit me.

Also

If beer people are reading this....

Are these cans worth anything to anyone?

e0EkQzV.png

Also

If beer people are reading this....

Are these cans worth anything to anyone?

e0EkQzV.png
Maybe try these guys:
No idea what the value would be.....hopefully something like this ;)
(but I don't think you're that lucky)
woohoo!

Umm, how much did you make?
Only 5L (or a couple of 6 packs)

My sister (who is northern rivers based) found the same web site and will email them after Easter. I don't really want anything for them but if someone wants to pay for some cans, that's ok as well.

Judging by the photos... a lot of older white men collect beer cans! lol

I've been a bit busy of late, but for anyone still interested, here is (what I'm now calling) my Corona disinfectant beer - I actually tapped this on the same day that Trump told his scientists to find a way to get disinfectant into the body....so it was very fitting.
See previous post for details.
1588048649502.png

It came out at about 6% and tastes more like grapefruit than lime....but not a bad beer. Also pretty happy with the colour :)

I've been a bit busy of late, but for anyone still interested, here is (what I'm now calling) my Corona disinfectant beer - I actually tapped this on the same day that Trump told his scientists to find a way to get disinfectant into the body....so it was very fitting.
See previous post for details.
View attachment 14409
It came out at about 6% and tastes more like grapefruit than lime....but not a bad beer. Also pretty happy with the colour :)
Pretty cool. 6% is a decent bite.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7