More anti Manly from the press

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

pt73

Bencher
Premium Member
Back page of today’s SMH, why didn’t they use a photo of Ponga ?

He should be arrested for extortion no matter what he’s being paid.

9EE42D20-46F4-40CE-91EE-B713AFD45236.jpeg

Probably because DCE is the highest payed player in the game this year.And without having read the article,are they actually criticising him?

What does Michael Chammas and Danny Weidler get paid by the SMH
What about Buzz and Kent at the Telegraph
I'm sure they are paid more than the average journalist.

Most these stars have a working life of 10-15 years and if they are lucky might work in the media or as part of the coaching system after they retire.
A lot don't have anything to fall back on once retired and by 50 can hardly walk without pain.
I don't care what they are paid, if they get offered that much then why wouldn't they take it.

If a competitor to the company I work for offered me tens of thousands more I would almost certainly take it.
This is just a media beat up as fan of clubs that these stars don't play for will have more reason to hate these players because they earn a pay cheque most can only dream about.

Always makes me chuckle when I read this, do the media get sent every single NRL contract and the terms attached to them each year ?
player mangers and the press do a job for one another. journos want stories so they do managers bidding, to get them so i presume they know more than we think. however no manager will include dodgy deals which are far bigger than the game suggests
people like to feel important and leaks from footy offices are huge
its how the dogs and storm got caught

They pull this exact story out every year.
It's getting very stale.

Always makes me chuckle when I read this, do the media get sent every single NRL contract and the terms attached to them each year ?
From the article - paraphrasing

The Herald has obtained the 2022 Salary Cap Benchmarking document which collates the salary of every player and provides clubs with the data to determine whether they are paying overs.

While the document doesn’t name players, it provides the average and median salary for players in each position based on a five player bracket (Eg. Player 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 etc). The salaries are also based on the reduced cap (due to COVID-19) of $9.4m this year.

The Herald has spoken to more than a dozen player agents and club officials during the past week to try and determine which players would rank as the top five paid players in each position.

Truth be known - there are players on "Far more" through 3rd party deals and golf games than what the contract numbers show, so not overly accurate.
DCE is on too much, but this is due to terrible negotiations from Manly long ago.
Thought he played great in a beaten team last night and is having a real dig in 2022.

From the article - paraphrasing

The Herald has obtained the 2022 Salary Cap Benchmarking document which collates the salary of every player and provides clubs with the data to determine whether they are paying overs.

While the document doesn’t name players, it provides the average and median salary for players in each position based on a five player bracket (Eg. Player 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 etc). The salaries are also based on the reduced cap (due to COVID-19) of $9.4m this year.

The Herald has spoken to more than a dozen player agents and club officials during the past week to try and determine which players would rank as the top five paid players in each position.
So the upshot is that they know what the 3rd highest paid player in each position is paid, and they know the average of the top 5.

That means the figures they have attributed to individual players (except player 3, if they somehow know who that is) are educated guesses at best, or completely made up at worst.

Absolute waste of space if an article.

Depends on what you are trying to get out of it. In terms of seeing where salary cap is distributed across a team by position then it's an interesting read. Also interesting to see the "gap" between Top 5 and the rest by position

Of course any values attributed to specific players are going to be part guesswork, but if I had to bet I'd say their "guesses" would be pretty close to being on the money. Not sure why everyone gets their knickers in knot about players' salaries being published. It's pretty common in a lot of sports worldwide.

You forgot Luke Brooks and David Fifita.

Fifita goes missing more than Ponga.
Talking of Ponga, the pressure is well and truly on this guy now. To go down 39 - 4 at your home ground in front of a big crowd. Somethings gota give...

Talking of Ponga, the pressure is well and truly on this guy now. To go down 39 - 4 at your home ground in front of a big crowd. Somethings gota give..
He's the golden child that's supposed to bring them premierships.

If he doesn't step up they are stuck with him for years.

Maybe he'll relinquish the captaincy to "take the pressure off him".

Who knows and who cares.

There is little doubt that DCE is overpaid. But that's not his fault. He plays virtually every match and is almost always one of our best. One thing that we must all agree upon is that DCE is always trying his hardest. He also shoulders the responsibility of being captain and all the off-field travails that come with the role. When you try to judge his value consider his many attributes.
So, instead of featuring a photo of DCE shouldn't the photo be of the Manly officials/s who offered him the salary? You'd need to trawl through the files because we'd had so many CEOs in recent times. But if the club is allegedly struggling because of his salary then it is because of a club officials fault, not the player!

There is little doubt that DCE is overpaid. But that's not his fault. He plays virtually every match and is almost always one of our best. One thing that we must all agree upon is that DCE is always trying his hardest. He also shoulders the responsibility of being captain and all the off-field travails that come with the role. When you try to judge his value consider his many attributes.
So, instead of featuring a photo of DCE shouldn't the photo be of the Manly officials/s who offered him the salary? You'd need to trawl through the files because we'd had so many CEOs in recent times. But if the club is allegedly struggling because of his salary then it is because of a club officials fault, not the player!
Does the article suggest Manly are paying too much for DCE though?Without having read the story,maybe they’re saying DCE has been good value for the club

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2