Modern day “professionalism”

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
All good points ... plus the fact that we didn't do real well with the salary cap without a salary cap manager is lost on many ..

But please Punchies ..... don't let the fact that you don't understand the role of someone stop you from being an expert on the topic .... it is enthralling ...

I assume I’m a Punchie

Woodsie you love to assume no one knows anything

I am a qualified lawyer, qualified accountant, have worked in senior capital market positions here and overseas, owned my own financial services business for the last 15 years, worked at coaching and admin level in footy clubs most of my life and have three mates who were NRL coaches.

I reckon I might have some insight into what goes on in the back of the demountable as the these salary cap types pour over the incredibly detailed and impossible 30 line spreadsheet that spellbinds them 24/7.

From my experience of footy clubs they are full of people with big titles,pretty unchallenging work and unprofessional work practices. Hence the majority of them are stony broke operating out of Australia’s biggest city or standalone cities. Eg. The NRL is the greatest example of waste in the sporting landscape.2 billion dollar deal and broke.

I have known the Rockhampton lads that make or made up the Broncos hierarchy all my life, the supposed poster boys for professionalism, and I can tell you they are good guys but wouldn’t even get a look in in the senior orporate world.

I think people would find it staggering to see how unprofessional our game is compared to AFL.Plenty of big titles and very little footy nouse. It’s just hidden behind the big spend and the shiny offices.Good players, good coaches and common sense administration wins footy games. Not a 25 million dollar budget, a cast of thousands doing bull**** jobs and brand new weights.

Last edited:
The coaches must have a role to play in the salary cap in that they submit their list of wanted players. From that point the bean counter plugs the numbers into a spreadsheet and says well you can’t have them all, but give me a list of priorities and salary range and we will calculate who can be brought in, balanced of course against the outgoing players and key positions to complement the current playing group. A very important role I see is a list manager (recruitment manager) as they call it in the AFL. The team I follow, Hawthorn, have this stuff absolutely nailed and it’s why they are mostly top of the heap for 12 years.

Go the Hawks! Maybe we could get Clarkson in as a coaching co-ordinator at Manly? Kennett as CEO?
The difference in professionalism between AFL and NRL clubs is mind-boggling at times. Maybe this is why the Storm are so professional as they are located amongst all the AFL clubs in Melbourne. It does surprise me that Manly can be all alone in one of the wealthiest areas of Sydney but have to scrimp and save to get by. No forward planning from when we were on top 30/40 years ago!! Someone mentioned Dee Why RSL in another thread for ways it could have been done.

I assume I’m a Punchie

I am a qualified lawyer, qualified accountant, have worked in senior capital market positions here and overseas, owned my own financial services business for the last 15 years, worked at coaching and admin level in footy clubs most of my life and have three mates who were NRL coaches.

I reckon I might have some insight into what goes on in the back of the demountable as the these salary cap types pour over the incredibly detailed and impossible 30 line spreadsheet that spellbinds them 24/7.

From my experience of footy clubs they are full of people with big titles,pretty unchallenging work and unprofessional work practices. Hence the majority of them are stony broke operating out of Australia’s biggest city or standalone cities. Eg. The NRL is the greatest example of waste in the sporting landscape.2 billion dollar deal and broke.

I have known the Rockhampton lads that make or made up the Broncos hierarchy all my life, the supposed poster boys for professionalism, and I can tell you they are good guys but wouldn’t even get a look in in the senior orporate world.

I think people would find it staggering to see how unprofessional our game is compared to AFL.Plenty of big titles and very little footy nouse. It’s just hidden behind the big spend and the shiny offices.Good players, good coaches and common sense administration wins footy games. Not a 25 million dollar budget, a cast of thousands doing bull**** jobs and brand new weights.

I think you have just articulated what the majority of people are thinking...

How is it that Souffs are so successful this season?
They have private ownership, a rookie coach, added just one quality player to their roster this season (Gagai), have no Leagues Club, no real home ground, antiquated training facilities (Redfern and Erskineville Oval) . . .

How is it that the cowboys are so ordinary this season?

I assume I’m a Punchie

You had me at, "I have known the Rockhampton boys". lol

A fellow lawyer might ask the question however....

Are you stating categorically and unequivocally that you are intimate with the inner workings of the Manly Sea Eagles, and are privy to the financial, administration and corporate rolls and responsibilties of each and all of their staff?

I think that was Woodsies point. It's easy to assume.

I assume I’m a Punchie

.. and with all that education, experience, wonderful friends, contacts and knowledge of professional sporting organisation ..... it is your considered opinion .... that Barrett's life as a footballer has equipped him to handle the coaching, recruitment and salary cap management unaided and without expert assistance ......

... and if he (Barrett) for some strange reason doesn't agree that a life playing football has prepared him for the complexities of doing 3 roles at once ..... or simply believes he can not do them all well enough ..... and demands the resources promised to him ..... he should be criticised for it .....

... didn't realise being so smart would lead one to such inspired conclusions ....

I generally agree with pretty much everything you have said @Sue. I I definately think we are a complete shambles in the back office but a good coach would shoulder that burden and protect the players. Barrett has not. Our admin is not missing tackles and playing with no heart.

Good coach who requires discipline
Good players with the right attitude

That will generally do it

Problem with that is the good players want to have the facilities, they need a sauna to cleanse their skin to look good for their next instagram selfie so to get them here you pay overs.

• 👍
Reactions: Sue
I assume I’m a Punchie

Your thoughts and insights are always value for money, punchie or not!!

.. and with all that education, experience, wonderful friends, contacts and knowledge of professional sporting organisation ..... it is your considered opinion .... that Barrett's life as a footballer has equipped him to handle the coaching, recruitment and salary cap management unaided and without expert assistance ......

... and if he (Barrett) for some strange reason doesn't agree that a life playing football has prepared him for the complexities of doing 3 roles at once ..... or simply believes he can not do them all well enough ..... and demands the resources promised to him ..... he should be criticised for it .....

... didn't realise being so smart would lead one to such inspired conclusions ....

I could not care less if he can do three “ complex “ tasks or not And the reason : he cant do the one he is actually paid a great deal of money to do.Coaching.

That’s the issue . Zero defensive structure , no idea in the red zone other than individual. brilliance and no ticker. After 3 years we have that Titans rubbish dishes up to farewell supporters.He CANT COACH.

I’m sure Trent is a good guy. No one doubts that. It’s just that he’s not the man to take us forward.He’s gone. Get over it .

Last edited:
Ahh the master of sarcasm and end on end dots in the middle of sentences. What is that stuff anyway?? ?

I could t care less if he can do three “ complex “ tasks or not And the reason : he cant do the one he is actually paid a great deal of money to do.Coaching.

That’s the issue . Zero defensive structure , no idea in the red zone other than individual. brilliance and no ticker. He CANT COACH.

He’s gone. Get over it .

.... I think you are becoming confused ... that is not what we were discussing .....

... I do find it remarkable though ..... that it took the NRL Salary cap Auditors some 6 months to work their way through Manly's Salary cap, so complex the report was some 800 pages ...... then it took Manly's Lawyers and Accountants 3 months to prepare their response to a matter of interpretation .... then took the same team of Lawyers and Accountants months to draft an appeal ..... then it took a Learned fellow and his team 3 months to read through the appeal ....

.... Yet ... You, as a Lawyer and accountant, .... you feel this is a job, Barrett .... (A football player) .... can do quiet well in his spare time with a laptop and a spreadsheet ........

as I said .... remarkable conclusion ....

Professionalism and resources is more about creating a facade to the outside that our organization/club is an attractive place to work or invest in,is financially viable along with gives the "impression" of long term stability----that a plan is under way to keep improving and progressing to achieve success and not just make up the numbers.

I think most "average/ordinary" workers take most of the above into consideration when moving jobs but in saying that the performances dished up this year have almost zero to do with "resources", or lacking staff in the two areas mentioned in this thread.

I'm all for professionalism in the front and back office to drive a forward thinking more viable sustainable organization but that also doesn't mean hiring a shyte load of C-graders who would not survive in the real corporate world looking for a lazy income and the profile of working for an NRL club.

Manly for the most part have recruited well talent wise, purchased some good go forward but what they have not done well is assessing the mental toughness and drive of the players they have purchased, something Bellamy has really excelled at.

Coaching wise too much reliance and emphasis on speed of the play the ball being the be all and end all with offloads and second phase play off the back of this---not enough smarts and composure about our game which was more evident with Blake Green(using what he had developed at the Storm)

Once the game becomes a grind our weak mental toughness eventually caves first---fans will see it as just another momentum swing issue but this period ends up being longer than the previous momentum swing lapses and the game is all but over.

As others have stated here, you can have all the defensive structure in the world but if you lack the mental toughness/hard edge about you, pride in your line or the type of fitness that is resilient and can push through longer into the pain barrier you wont see results, defensive structure is all about creating composure under pressure and knowing what to do to improve the chances of making the right decision.

The goal of any individual or organization is "The conquest of substance", too much soft arsed fluff at Manly right now---in the way we play and are run off the field.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8