Miss the 8 from here and it's your fault Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Exactly right....We have had both byes (parra none yet) and we are still last.
A couple more losses and its shut the gate, would mean Parra ( with Byes) will be 6-8 points above us .

Our only hope is Newcastle keeps losing , and we maybe win a few.

Sadly injuries and player discontent have crueled our year, oh well I suppose it's a trophy we don't have, but gee it's going to be tough on the Penns bottom line as you can bet membership numbers and merchandise will be well down in 2016.

Yep only 5 guys unavailable, shows how bad we are going with injuries when this is nearly full strength.
Buhrer,gutherson out indefinately we know.Chayse blair isn't exactly a big loss.I'm hearing lawrence may be back this week.The weekends line up is surely capable of beating the tigers.

BJ isn't slated to return until Rd.18. Not sure how he'd be back this week, but if he is and he is over his back injury then good. Can't see him playing on Friday night though.

Killer, Ferris, BJ and Gutho are out injured while Horo is suspended. Hardly makes us at full strength.

This is a catch 22.
If we make the 8 then there's no reason for Toovey to go.
If it's the wooden spoon then there is.
Unless Toovey declares he's leaving the team won't rally behind him and the management won't escape a backlash.

A catch 22.

Killer, Ferris, BJ and Gutho are out injured while Horo is suspended. Hardly makes us at full strength.
All these injured players can score points; they are important parts in our attacking play. With 2V failing to add Hodges to the 17 it means we have a pack almost entirely devoted to defence. I don;t think we have the points in us to beat an attacking side like the Tigpies, who will probably score at least 18 points.
And if we do score tries we have little chance to convert them into six-pointers.
How we are $1.40 favourites to win this match astounds me. For once I hope the bookies are correct.

Well there is no doubt that if Manly can't beat the Tigers ar home after a great freshen up then I will have no confidence in them beating anyone this year and will immediately switch to the "avoid the spoon and I'll be happy" camp.
I just have a feeling that Manly have not stooped this low and are read to fire and play like a real Manly side, and it starts Friday.

NYEagle

Well there is no doubt that if Manly can't beat the Tigers ar home after a great freshen up then I will have no confidence in them beating anyone this year and will immediately switch to the "avoid the spoon and I'll be happy" camp.
I just have a feeling that Manly have not stooped this low and are read to fire and play like a real Manly side, and it starts Friday.

NYEagle
More than anything I hope you are right.

Unless there is a miracle we have the spoon well & truly in our grasp.
How did we come to this...
Injuries.... Pfttt....All teams have injuries....
Coach... Pfttt....He aint no Hasler but last on the ladder... Surely he isn't the worst coach in the league.
Board room dramas............. Pftt... Des had a pot load more than we have now.... No infighting at all these days..
I'm fed up with feeling like a Para supporter.. Bring back the manly feeling... Please....
Dont care who comes, stays or goes anymore...... Just be Manly & put in or **** off...

Last edited:
Unless there is a miracle we have the spoon well & truly in our grasp.
How did we come to this...
Injuries.... Pfttt....All teams have injuries....
Coach... Pfttt....He aint no Hasler but last on the ladder... Surely he isn't the worst coach in the league.
Board room dramas............. Pftt... Des had a pot load more than we have now.... No infighting at all these days..
I'm fed up with feeling like a Para supporter.. Bring back the manly feeling... Please....
Dont care who comes, stays or goes anymore...... Just be Manly & put in or **** off...
I couldn't agree more, but just doing the same thing week after week won't bring about a change of fortunes. We need a circuit breaker, we need something to change. It's not possible to substantially change the roster mid season but it is a relatively straight forward process to change the coach. A new coach without any baggage can then change the selections, the game plan and the roster rotation. He can put all on notice (Not just pretend to like Toovey did) that they need to perform or go. Then and only then we might see a change in our fortunes. I am a huge fan of Toovey, but I hate the thought of the spoon more.

I couldn't agree more, but just doing the same thing week after week won't bring about a change of fortunes. We need a circuit breaker, we need something to change. It's not possible to substantially change the roster mid season but it is a relatively straight forward process to change the coach. A new coach without any baggage can then change the selections, the game plan and the roster rotation. He can put all on notice (Not just pretend to like Toovey did) that they need to perform or go. Then and only then we might see a change in our fortunes. I am a huge fan of Toovey, but I hate the thought of the spoon more.

In my opinion Ralphie, comes down to a few things for us. The first and biggest issue is the play the ball ruck speed imo. We seem to to easily get dominated in the ruck. This allows the opposition defense to get set, and stop our roll forward and metre gaineage.

For this reason, we get hemmed down in our own half, and seem to struggle getting out of there.

Look at the really good teams like the Chooks - they play the ball at absolute speed and energy, and this sets the opposition constantly on the back foot. A player like Burgess or Mason running against a retreating defensive line would triple or quadrupal their output metre wise.

But you know what, I don't blame the forwards for that entirely. Guys like Taufua playing the ball like a snail, absolutely kills us, and the whole set of 6. In fact, Brett Stewart also plays the ball really slowly now as well. Matai and Lyon are ok. Hiku is dreadfully slow as is Taufua. Foran is average, and DCE is pretty good.

I've heard about Toovey speaking about the Chooks Post Hit Metres. Ours would be dreadful because of these slow play the balls and playing against set defenses. He spoke about how important it was.

The other issue is (and I love the player) Matty Ballin's dummy half runs. It's almost better that he doesn't try, or for the LOVE OF PETE, bring Hodges in 20 metres either side of the half break.

Ballin running three metres slowly, and playing the ball slow, again allows a defense to get set. He does this once every two odd sets of 6 in attack. That hurts us.

Defnesively, because the opposition focus on the play the ball, and the post hit metres these days, our defensive line is retreating, meaning opposition forwards look like they are rolling over the top of us. Again, it's a ruck speed issue - and we need to slow theirs down somehow - same as is done to us.

This is just my opinion of coarse, but get this right, man, we'd look like world beaters. Imagine guys like DCE, Foran, Lyon, Mateo etc with heaps more time on their hands.

Hiku & Taufua, play with more passion, aggression and speed you lumps !

I'd like to see us try to play a different style of football to all other teams. All coaches (apart from The Walker Bros) are scared of innovation. They worry about the end result solely. So, why not:
1. Try different kick-offs. The only time Qld tried it they got the ball back.
2. Get forwards to pack into scrums and push. Keep backs out of the scrum and give them room to use their speed and agility (a return to the future!).
3. Exploit the opposition forwards playing in the backs on scums by chipping over their heads and chasing.
These are three very simple ways to change the stereotypical games we now have, including SOO.

I'd like to see us try to play a different style of football to all other teams. All coaches (apart from The Walker Bros) are scared of innovation. They worry about the end result solely. So, why not:
1. Try different kick-offs. The only time Qld tried it they got the ball back.
2. Get forwards to pack into scrums and push. Keep backs out of the scrum and give them room to use their speed and agility (a return to the future!).
3. Exploit the opposition forwards playing in the backs on scums by chipping over their heads and chasing.
These are three very simple ways to change the stereotypical games we now have, including SOO.

Couldn't agree more The Who.

Love to add:-
1. Play to the opposition. Same game plan against every team never works
2. Quick and efficient ruck speed as I said earlier
3. Attitude and energy (this is Toovey's speciality)
4. 1%'ers. We seem to be misfiring pretty badly
5. Strength and conditioning. Is it me, or do we look slow, overweight & tired?

EDIT: How GOOD is it to discuss footy, rather than who's leaving, or ripping each other on the boards !!!

Couldn't agree more The Who.

Love to add:-
1. Play to the opposition. Same game plan against every team never works
2. Quick and efficient ruck speed as I said earlier
3. Attitude and energy (this is Toovey's speciality)
4. 1%'ers. We seem to be misfiring pretty badly
5. Strength and conditioning. Is it me, or do we look slow, overweight & tired?

EDIT: How GOOD is it to discuss footy, rather than who's leaving, or ripping each other on the boards !!!
I agree with everything both of you are saying. The one common denominator in all of what you say is the coach. The coach needs to inspire them to have a better attitude. The coach needs to try the different tactics you speak of. What has he got to lose, doing what he is doing now is guaranteeing him losing his job. If he tried those things we might just go on a run and save his job.

We are now 3 clear wins behind 8th place

It's gonna take a Cowgirls winning run to make the 8 :eek:

We were never going to make the 8 after the loss to the Cowboys and Broncos. A bridge to far. Avoiding the spoon is our realistic goal this year.

100% agree. I have been saying that for week's

We should just concentrate on how to win out next match against Souths.

We then have Sharks and Titans.

I would love nothing more then for Manly to go on a 9 game winning streak and prove me wrong btw :)

We are still alive for the 8.
Friday night is an absolute must win if we have any aspirations of finals footy

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7