• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think it would be a mistake to draw conclusions about Hopoate based on his initial first grade games. That mistake was made regarding Gutherson, who was also a star junior, who also had serious injuries. He played in only 5 first grade matches at Manly, was not considered worthy of retaining and we now see the consequences. Hopoate, like Gutherson was doing all those years ago, finding his feet, and similarly he is probably tentative because he doesn't want a third major injury. As they say dont judge a book by its cover. We are only seeing the cover of this kid. As he gets his confidence, he will thrive. The players have already said clearly he is a special talent at training with unique qualities. Let him go and find he thrives somewhere else will have us experiencing that deja vu feeling. I've a feeling he's got something special we don't want to lose. Keep Miski, but also keep Hopa.

I think it would be a mistake to draw conclusions about Hopoate based on his initial first grade games. That mistake was made regarding Gutherson, who was also a star junior, who also had serious injuries. He played in only 5 first grade matches at Manly, was not considered worthy of retaining and we now see the consequences. Hopoate, like Gutherson was doing all those years ago, finding his feet, and similarly he is probably tentative because he doesn't want a third major injury. As they say dont judge a book by its cover. We are only seeing the cover of this kid. As he gets his confidence, he will thrive. The players have already said clearly he is a special talent at training with unique qualities. Let him go and find he thrives somewhere else will have us experiencing that deja vu feeling. I've a feeling he's got something special we don't want to lose. Keep Miski, but also keep Hopa.
I agree it is probably wise to persevere with him and give him some space and time to develop. Nevertheless, to say he has been disappointing is an under-statement. It's hard to watch the kid getting run around and run over week after week. I expect there will be mistakes as part of his development, but at what stage do you say to him... "look, put your shoulder into a tackle and show us you really want this"? The fitness and pace side of things I am far more forgiving, but not putting your body into tackles is poor.

I think he's good for depth but no higher, at least not consistently. Has potential but Im not sold on him yet :think:

Remember...he out bench pressed Taupau!

Ok, I'm not sure of the relevance here either, just thought I'd remind people.

I think he's alright, ya know?

Probably one of the only players who can hold his head high after that performance yesterday.
Just goes to show when a fringe reserve grade player is playing with more heart than the rest of the first graders.
Happy for the broom to swing.

I agree it is probably wise to persevere with him and give him some space and time to develop. Nevertheless, to say he has been disappointing is an under-statement. It's hard to watch the kid getting run around and run over week after week. I expect there will be mistakes as part of his development, but at what stage do you say to him... "look, put your shoulder into a tackle and show us you really want this"? The fitness and pace side of things I am far more forgiving, but not putting your body into tackles is poor.

From what I saw I dont think he was that bad, In fact in the game before last I thought he did some impressive things. In his last game he played 16 minutes. He's only played 5 games and some not the complete game. Deja vu Gutherson also 5 games, not impressing as expected exit stage left. Expectations of superheroes have saturated our consciousness. These guys take at least a season to adapt.

Remember...he out bench pressed Taupau!

Ok, I'm not sure of the relevance here either, just thought I'd remind people.

I think he's alright, ya know?
It has plenty of relevance GE. I don’t think he got ragdolled at all on returns and early runs out of our end. His strength is a big part of this. I was impressed with him and would keep him around as a backup.

Gutho showed alot more promise in his first game than hoppa has in his entire 4 games together. I believe hoppa is worth a minimum contract for a year. Upgrade next year if he shows anything more. If he wants more now than let him explore his options i reckon

Sure that the club would like to keep Miski after his effort yesterday . Seem to have enough and settled centre options but wing positions are certainly another matter. Ist grade standard and if he gets some more experience and improvement , should be at least on par with the likes of Garrick , Young Hoppa and certainly Jorge [ Funa still would have a slightly better rating just based on his versatility ] . Deceptively quick and strong carries . .

Gutho showed alot more promise in his first game than hoppa has in his entire 4 games together. I believe hoppa is worth a minimum contract for a year. Upgrade next year if he shows anything more. If he wants more now than let him explore his options i reckon
Was thinking the same thing. I think I remember Guthos debut was it at Centre or wing at brookie on a wet track? Made some good runs I think. Seen nothing frm Hoppa yet. Hoping he has a good off season and comes back better next year.

Was thinking the same thing. I think I remember Guthos debut was it at Centre or wing at brookie on a wet track? Made some good runs I think. Seen nothing frm Hoppa yet. Hoping he has a good off season and comes back better next year.
On top of that, Gutho always looked like he was a level above in the reserves, too. Hoppa, along with every other fringe player, hasn't had that opportunity this season. But man, he looked completely out of his depth yesterday when he came on.

I was at Brookie for the game that Gutho & Jake both debuted in against Penrith (I think?)

EDIT: while checking wikipedia to confirm I came across this pic on Jake's page LOL.

Someone has to have put that there on a wind up, he looks a bit special in it hahaha:

Screenshot_20200928-141743_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Losing Gutho was disgraceful especially as he was signed. He should have been our VC and long term 5/8 and captain after dce retires. Local junior. What an utter disgrace

Let's get rid of a highly rated junior and bring in a few western Sydney juniors. And they wonder why there is no heart, loyalty or care in this current team.

Does 'It's a results driven business' apply to management as well?

Let's get rid of a highly rated junior and bring in a few western Sydney juniors. And they wonder why there is no heart, loyalty or care in this current team.

Does 'It's a results driven business' apply to management as well?

As noted... the CEO, Coach and Head of Football at the time are no longer at the club to justify those decisions.

To be honest I think a top-to-bottom review of how the club operates is required. In the past 6 seasons we have finished:
2015: 9th (under Toovey)
2016: 13th (under Barrett)
2017: 6th (under Barrett)
2018: 15th (under Barrett)
2019: 6th (under Hasler)
2020: 13th (under Hasler)

It's not good enough.

Last edited:
As noted... the CEO, Coach and Head of Football at the time are no longer at the club to justify those decisions.

To be honest I think a top-to-bottom review of the club operates is required. In the past 6 seasons we have finished:
2015: 9th (under Toovey)
2016: 13th (under Barrett)
2017: 6th (under Barrett)
2018: 15th (under Barrett)
2019: 6th (under Hasler)
2020: 13th (under Hasler)

It's not good enough.

Well, at least we should be back with a single figure finish again next year looking at that pattern...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4