• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Who knows how his defense will progress but I can guarantee that Cust Croker and co who are competing with him could never have put three tries like that together. Kid can obviously play, looks a lot bigger physically than last year. He just looks a footballer.

Last edited:
Maybe it was not a case of the sharks letting him go but us getting him from the sharks?

He is meant to be the long term plan after DCE. Will be interested to see how we nurture this situation with DCE still having 4 years left on his deal. He won’t sit in Blacktown for 4 years.

I suspect some of you guys think I'm bagging Parker.

I'm not. He's done a great job out wide. But let me suggest this scenario.

Schuster was playing in the forwards as a junior early on and was seen as outstanding. But notice Manly moved him to 5/8 in the juniors and he starred big time. He wasn't moved there by accident. There was obvious design and the Manly club saw his ability with the ball and obviously saw that as his future position. Now Hasler is not going to waste that sort of talent in the forwards. He's been developed as a 5/8 on purpose and helps explain why Manly didn't chase any other 5/8s in the offseason. I suspect he's ear marked for the position for later in the year and especially for 2021.

That means by years end, Manly will have Suli, Walker, Ben T. Funa and Parker vying for two centre spots. The wings are Garrick and Taufua/Hopoate with Anderson and Miski as outsiders. Don't know about you but to me five into two just doesn't fit. Suli to me is about to explode. He's the player I see resembling Matai the most. Walker is a speedster, best suited to centre. And young Ben T. wont be kept out of the first grade for long. So its not about Parker not doing a great job. Its about who is most likely to get the centre roles by years end and 2021. Its not an emotive issue, its just a logical numbers game. For now Parker is safe. By years end.....?

He is meant to be the long term plan after DCE. Will be interested to see how we nurture this situation with DCE still having 4 years left on his deal. He won’t sit in Blacktown for 4 years.

IF he ever makes the cut, and that's a massive IF , there is no reason that he couldn't play alongside DCE.
It doesnt have to be a straight up replacement.

I still reckon Croker should be the main backup half. Metcalfe is level with Cust for mine now (Cust is no nonsense but uncreative, Metcalfe is an individual weapon, but will likely need to learn to play a team role better). Expect Metcalfe to jump Cust somepoint in this season. Croker just seems very calm and confident, he kicks well to the corners (like against the Storm) and his passing gets the job done. We probably want a player like Croker to fill in imo to keep us steady when one of our halves is injured. All three will likely get a chance anyways.

aaaaand onto my random rant below.
As for the dummy half in our spine... The nines turned me completely off ZDC, imo we need to move away from dummy halves like him (why I'm happy we released Api). I reckon we need a more controlled, direct variation (Like Fainu, Cook, Parcell etc.) (Not saying literally Parcell, but he played the kind of role I am thinking of). That's why I am happy we got Levi, he can play direct, and has plenty of potential to play a a more controlled attacking playmaker role. IMO for our spine to take us confidently to a premiership without Fainu, I reckon Levi and the rest of our hookers that play will have to play like a blend of (or either) Matt Ballin and Cook. Croker should also be the main dummy half backup imo as he can be a stable option like Ballin was for us, and he also is a half so has some creativity and playmaking skill.

I'm not sure who he's better than just yet but he seems to have the right mentality, it gets him knocked around yet he doesn't hold back.
Which reminds me, does he cop more high shots than any other player?
It’s like the NRL have put a clause in the rule book specifically for Parker.
*You may attack the head of Brad Parker at will. In fact we encourage it.
Hopefully having the lesser Robbo as head of the MRC, Parkers head will be off limits from now on.

Metcalf has speed ......... lots of it - not sure you can say anything else at the moment. I saw no deft passing - no Cliffy magic - no bursting through holes - no zip zip like the Zip Zip Man (Steve Ella for those who don't know) - no tackles like Tooves - nothing else. Just fabulous speed. Who knows what he might be. But yes he is fast - but then again beach sprint champions are fast. He needs at least a good half of the year at Blacktown and then lets reassess. Anyone on here saying anything else other than he has speed needs to take a Bex and have a lie down!

Metcalf has speed ......... lots of it - not sure you can say anything else at the moment. I saw no deft passing - no Cliffy magic - no bursting through holes - no zip zip like the Zip Zip Man (Steve Ella for those who don't know) - no tackles like Tooves - nothing else. Just fabulous speed. Who knows what he might be. But yes he is fast - but then again beach sprint champions are fast. He needs at least a good half of the year at Blacktown and then lets reassess. Anyone on here saying anything else other than he has speed needs to take a Bex and have a lie down!
Pretty harsh.How about the ability to spot an opportunity via a lazy defender and also having the ability to execute the kicks perfectly.Kicking is half the battle in the modern game.He wasn’t just chasing a football. The opportunities were created and finished by him. Beachsprinters just chase.

The other good sign was having the confidence to try things on your first outing in the limelight. Confidence is precious in a playmaker.

I’m very happy to have some potential ex factor down the track in our halves because one weakness this side has had for a long time ( Fainu improved it a lot and we have lost him for who knows how long )is the ability to convert close to the line. I am a huge DCE fan and would not swap him for anyone but we do tend to have plenty of headless chook moments in the red zone and another dangerous option in the mix down the track won’t hurt that situation if the kid progresses.

With Fainu gone it is going to be a lot easier to double team DCE close to the line so we will need creative options. I really like Levi for his energy and his passing game is the best we’ve had since Ballin but don’t expect Fainus creativity in attack.

Anyway he’ll be doing the rounds in Blacktown early on so it’s up to him to earn a chance and let’s hope he kicks on. If we could find a genuine star in the next couple of seasons at five eight and get Dylan( who has done a very good job at 6) back to the centres this side wins the comp in my opinion.

Also agree with Harry. ZDC is not the answer to the second hooker scenario.Saw a couple of nice touches from Ipape and Croker was solid.

Last edited:
Metcalfe has played very little footy the past two seasons which has obviously resulted in some limitations on his progress but no doubt should do quite well at Black Town level . if he can stay injury free , gain a bit more organizing ability and confidence and measure up defensively , no reason why he can not replicate Elgey "s role last year as a back up with rep duties for D C E [ as in the short term , i see him as more of a 7 at N R l level ] . Would probably be dynamic as a support player and once in the open . Croker did impress on the weekend and no doubt is still essentially a half but in all probability could still be the bench back up 9 and utility . With the current mix in the backs , can only still see the best combination as a Walker - Parker - Suli as 6 and centre positions arrangement outside D C E . Croker and Metcalfe would have to show some major improvement to change that dynamic and can not see Cust in the half "s picture as things now seem .

Great with the ball but defensive inadequacy. Not ready for top 17 yet IMO.
Don’t think anyone has him in their top 17.No chance initially.
Has plenty to prove and Dylan was very good back end last year.He starts for sure.Hes absolute class. ( and ironically another who was bagged plenty for his defense on here if I remember rightly ).

One thing I will say is that give me a young half with brilliant attacking skills with work to do on his defence any day over a kid who hits like a sledgehammer and does nothing else. You can’t teach speed skill and opportunism.You can improve defensive technique and a lot of it comes with physical maturity as well and the confidence a bigger healthier body brings.

Bit confused over the relentless bagging of his defense as if it will never improve.He’s had major injuries for a couple of seasons and unless I’m going blind he looks a lot bigger and stronger physically than when I last saw him live so with a great defensive half in Des coaching him full time as opposed to junior coaches and a bigger body common sense dictates he improves in that area.I think the Barrett experiment has shown us the value of good coaching.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4