Menzies out for Saturday?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
Just heard on Fox, Steve Menzies has a virus and has been told to stay away from the training squad. How come I can go through life without contracting anything, but professional athletes go down like flies.

Elsewhere, Manly coach Des Hasler says he will give injured players Glenn Stewart and Chris Hicks as much time as possible to prove their fitness for Saturday's preliminary final against North Queensland.

Both Stewart and Hicks are in doubt for the match due to ankle injuries and missed the Sea Eagles' training session today. Veteran backrower Steve Menzies also missed the session as he's ill with a virus but Hasler is confident he will recover in time to play.

Manly have received a boost ahead of the clash with prop Brent Kite returning to full training after recovering from a groin injury which kept him out of the qualifying final win over South Sydney.

I've had this same virus over the last couple of days. It is really debilitating - headaches, nausea, vomiting and you just want to sleep.

But it is a genuine 48 hour thing. I'm feeling fine today and if it is the same thing Beaver should be 100% by Saturday.

SEA Eagles veteran Steve Menzies was last night declared a certain starter for Saturday night's clash against the Cowboys after returning from quarantine and training with the team yesterday.

The star forward was in doubt for the match after he was struck down by a virus over the weekend.

Menzies was placed in isolation for 48 hours with concerns the virus may spread throughout the team.

The 33-year-old had been suffering from diarrhoea and vomiting.

"The doctor said it was just a 48-hour bug," Menzies said.

"I wasn't well over the weekend but I am fine now. I'll definitely be playing."

Menzies rejoined his teammates at Narrabeen yesterday for a field session and weights after being passed fit by club doctors.

Sea Eagles CEO Grant Mayer said the team had been buoyed by Menzies' return. "He has been a key part of our team for almost 15 years," Mayer said.

"And the last six weeks he has been invaluable. He has been in fine form and his try-scoring form will be required on Saturday night.

"It is a very important week for the club and it we need someone of Steve's experience around at training.

"His presence around the other players is very important for us."

Mayer said Menzies was placed in quarantine as a precaution - with fears the virus may derail the team's premiership campaign.

"We have all had these sorts of things and they aren't pleasant," Mayer said.

"It is not ideal before a massive game. As soon as one gets it - it can spread. It is better to be safe than sorry but it is good to have him back."

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4